MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
“ treat Joel Selwood with a level of respect whereby when he says something, they believe him.”

Yes salty, picturing the conversations between him and the umpires.

Umpire: Free kick opposition for a throw
Selwood: I didn’t throw it, I handballed
Umpire: oops, sorry, my bad. Play on

Umpire: you ducked Selwood, play on
Selwood: I didn’t duck, he got me high
Umpire: *smile*, sorry mate, I didn’t pay close enough attention. Free kick Selwood

Umpire: you’re on report for striking
Selwood: I didn’t hit him, he head butted my fist
Umpire: you’re right sellers. You’re on report ( insert any opposition player name here). Free kick and 50 to selwood.

Have I got that right Scotty you toss bag? Is that how it’s meant to go?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Got to love the write up of the incidents on the AFL site:

Selwood was fined a combined $3000 by the AFL's Match Review Officer for two separate incidents in last week's after-the-siren win over the Western Bulldogs.

The 33-year-old accepted a $1000 sanction for pushing his fist into Bailey Dale's head as the Bulldogs defender was pinned on the ground in a tackle.

Selwood also copped a $2000 fine for stumbling over the leg of Taylor Duryea when the former Hawks player had fallen to the ground after taking a mark.

He should be known as Captain Clumsy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Got to love the write up of the incidents on the AFL site:

Selwood was fined a combined $3000 by the AFL's Match Review Officer for two separate incidents in last week's after-the-siren win over the Western Bulldogs.

The 33-year-old accepted a $1000 sanction for pushing his fist into Bailey Dale's head as the Bulldogs defender was pinned on the ground in a tackle.

Selwood also copped a $2000 fine for stumbling over the leg of Taylor Duryea when the former Hawks player had fallen to the ground after taking a mark.

He should be known as Captain Clumsy
Now they’re employing fantasy/fiction writers or are they work experience primary age schoolers just having a scribble?
wankers

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
I have to admit it does not look like Selwood deliberately stood on Duyrea - Selwood seems to be looking the other way. It was a bit like me stepping backward and accidently stepping on my 4 year old son's foot, who I did not realise had snuck in behind me.

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
In the same sweep with the other incident, it appears Selwood was simply using complex secret hand signals to his teammates, on tactics and next moves - and it just happened Bailey Dale's head got in the way.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Sorry, but I disagree.
He never jumped off the ground in the last couple of strides at all Leon.
It was only when impact occurred that his feet left the ground.
Turning his shoulder? Well I’d say if a player saw another player in his peripheral vision, it makes sense to turn to endeavour to protect oneself. It’s what players are taught, so well it’s almost instinctive.

Unfortunate outcome for Clarke and I hope he makes a full recovery. But it’s the antithesis of a Byron Pickett incident where he used to pick players off. Mackay has been a ball player all of his career.
Sorry, Willo, delusional. He clearly jumps into poor Hunter with a huge, calculated hit high. Look again e.g. on the link below, right side pic, her's about 30cm or more off the ground. Seriously, are you arguing that the contact lifts him up! He accelerated. turned the shoulder which leads him to go higher and harder. There were other options. What McKay has done before is irrelevant. It's what he did here that matters for Hunter. ( e.g. What if he is worried about losing his place in the team, coaches have urged strong attack on the ball and opponent to retain his place. Whatever led him to do it, doesn't matter. It's what he did).

Forget 'Unfortunate outcome' and 'full recovery'. Delusional again. Hunter has sustained permanent damage. He will never be the same, as I posted. Not to mention missing about 8 weeks of games from going fearlessly for the ball.
You need to remember, in the end it's just sport, just a ball game. As much as we love and value it.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm not in the least bit emotional about this. I've presented a series of facts as best I can. My outlook has nothing on the hand-wringing of some in the AFL community who had decided the very fabric of the game was under threat if Mackay was suspended.

I think the problem here is that those of us who want to see the duty of care concept better understood and more rigorously applied on the footy field are thought of as being hysterical. The issue of concussion and CTE is too important for hyperbole and emotional thinking. I think history will show this to be a worthy fight.

In my post, I said when the ball first hits the ground, Mackay is easily 20m away from Clark. Taking another look now, I reckon it's closer to 25m. The AFL's counsel, Jeff Gleeson, said in his submission it was '20-plus metres'. That was not disputed.

The fact is, he was far enough away to generate significant speed and to decide how he'd impact the contest. That is all that matters.

This goes to the core of the matter and is where Mackay's duty of care kicks in.

Bizarrely, it was Adelaide's counsel at the tribunal, Andrew Culshaw, who saw fit to spell out Mackay's options:

“Could he have stopped, waited, tackled? Absolutely. But the fact there was another action doesn’t make it unreasonable for him to go for the ball. There are always multiple options - marking or spoiling, tackling or corralling.” Of course, when he says it wasn't "unreasonable" for Mackay to "go for the ball", he conveniently leaves out the speed of the impact and the fact Clark was unaware of the impending contact. But, look at all the options his very own counsel said were open to Mackay. His choice to ignore them all means the consequences of his actions are largely on him.

This was not a one-off incident of its type. Look at two other collisions this season: the Harbrow hit on Gibbons and the O'Meara hit on Hayward. All three players who've been felled—Clark, Gibbons and Hayward—are chasing a loose ball with eyes only for it, and are hit in the head in exactly the same way ... by an opponent who makes contact with their shoulder.

The pattern is clear. When a player is hunting a loose ground ball, their attention is purely focused on the ball and not the oncoming player. It happens time and again. Given it is consistently putting players out of the game, whether that be through concussion or an awful facial injury, isn't it time to put the duty of care onto the opponent? We can't allow this to continue.

Peter Jess doesn't. That was his description of the outcome. If the AFL community is yet to come to terms with the nature of 'duty of care', then the court action he's working towards with Greg Griffin on behalf of past players will likely bring everyone up to speed. By the way, it is expected Clark will miss the remainder of the season due to the severity of his injuries. How is that not a catastrophic outcome?

No, I was speculating his injury was so severe that (a) a test may not have possible under the circumstances, (b) it was likely assessed there was a greater priority getting Clark to hospital to have his jaw stabilised and (c) there was no likelihood Clark would return to the ground so it was possibly rendered unnecessary.

Given how easily a player can be concussed—think Dusty and Marshall in recent weeks—I'd be amazed if Clark would have passed a concussion test on that hit.

You hear this one rolled out a lot. It's a lazy statement and, in this case, irrelevant. For example, if Mackay had bumped Clark in the side rather than the face, there would have been no tribunal hearing. Physical contact occurred, per the rules and expectations of all players on the arena, just not the forceful, front-on, head-high, avoidable contact of this instance.

You make the assumption that those lobbying for actions like Mackay's to be sanctioned actually think concussions can be removed from the game. They can't and it's not the point. Accidents happen. What we want to see is a greater duty of care to minimise the foreseeable head knocks, so that fewer and fewer past players lead awful lives in retirement.
We are in furious disagreement on everything. I think we’ve done it to death.
What I do know as a general rule is if I’m on the opposite side to David King I’m on the right track.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Sorry, Willo, delusional. He clearly jumps into poor Hunter with a huge, calculated hit high. Look again e.g. on the link below, right side pic, her's about 30cm or more off the ground. Seriously, are you arguing that the contact lifts him up! He accelerated. turned the shoulder which leads him to go higher and harder. There were other options. What McKay has done before is irrelevant. It's what he did here that matters for Hunter. ( e.g. What if he is worried about losing his place in the team, coaches have urged strong attack on the ball and opponent to retain his place. Whatever led him to do it, doesn't matter. It's what he did).

Forget 'Unfortunate outcome' and 'full recovery'. Delusional again. Hunter has sustained permanent damage. He will never be the same, as I posted. Not to mention missing about 8 weeks of games from going fearlessly for the ball.
You need to remember, in the end it's just sport, just a ball game. As much as we love and value it.

Agree to disagree.
Forget ”Unfortunate outcome”? NoI won’t. It was unfortunate that he suffered such an injury.
As to wishing hime “a full recovery” I sincerely hope he does.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Finally - it’s get some air time - this Hocking Geelong bias thing…

I just can't believe that the article and the comments don't mention Selwood shoving his hands in Baker's face in last year's GF. Let's face it, he has form doing this.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Agree to disagree.
Forget ”Unfortunate outcome”? NoI won’t. It was unfortunate that he suffered such an injury.
As to wishing hime “a full recovery” I sincerely hope he does.
Yes, we will have to 'Agree to disagree.'

But it's not 'unfortunate' if you go to bump and don't go low enough for hip/shoulder on hip/shoulder. Make head contact then, you deserve the forthcoming penalty.
And, not sure what you don't understand about “a full recovery”? That cannot happen after sustaining these injuries. Jaw damage, mouth/bite damage, teeth damage, possible/likely loss of taste, possible/likely concussion.

Rest assured, a RFC player, Shocking would have got his month suspension. Anyway, that's my final word.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, bumping to the body but you must avoid the head is what I reckon they will have to go for. The implications for concussion are like a charging elephant in the room and they are going to have to do something.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
1 week for Williams. Report called it low impact. WTF?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users