MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Still think they will appeal tomorrow and get off.

Think back to the Houli case. When he got 2 weeks there was hysteria and pandemonium in the media and when it was appealed and doubled to four weeks, there was lots of hurumph, hurumph, wise decision.

Now, Danger gets a week, tonight and tomorrow will be a period of media hysteria and pandemonium again, followed by an appeal, he gets off and hurumph, hutumph, wise decision.

I like to hire the AFL's publicity company but I don't think I could ever afford them.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
TOT70 said:
Still think they will appeal tomorrow and get off.

Think back to the Houli case. When he got 2 weeks there was hysteria and pandemonium in the media and when it was appealed and doubled to four weeks, there was lots of hurumph, hurumph, wise decision.

Now, Danger gets a week, tonight and tomorrow will be a period of media hysteria and pandemonium again, followed by an appeal, he gets off and hurumph, hutumph, wise decision.

I like to hire the AFL's publicity company but I don't think I could ever afford them.

Lines running hot between AFL House and Geelong FC tonight.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigermouseau said:
Everyone seems to be assuming that he will win the Brownlow - maybe, just maybe, Dusty will,win anyway. I hope Danger gets off and I hope Dusty wins the Brownlow.

Crumbs TM!

Best possible outcome I reckon. No problem with the outlawing of the 'sling tackle' that wasn't one.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
tigerlove said:
No he didn't drive him to the ground. He did a perfect tackle (how else is he supposed to tackle him in this scenario) and the momentum brought Kreuzer to the ground. It was accidental, incidental, whatever you want to call it. You cannot 100% protect the head no matter what you do if you are going to play AFL footy. The act of careless and intentional has lost its meaning in AFL footy. You can do all you can to protect the head but it has to be within reason. You can't make footy rules that will guarantee accidental head knocks at times and then suspend footballers for playing to the rules fairly. This game is becoming a farce.

Spot on.

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
bowden4president said:
From Darcy's point of view, it probably is a great tragedy of the game because now a Richmond player will most likely win the Brownlow and he'd absolutely hate that !

Absolutely correct. Darcy was on MMM this morning having a red hot go about the injustice and Eddie is agreeing and good old Malloy is egging them on - funny *smile*. In the middle of banter from Mick, Darcy pipes up saying something like, you only want the suspension so a Tiger wins the Brownlow. He meant it too as he was almost foaming at the mouth trying to get his words out. He got so riled up with Mick that he threatened to give him 6 hits in the Legends game. Mick was a crack up - just kept needling him and getting Darcy hot under the collar.

Mick bought up about the manifestly inadequate which set Maguire off also. Funny stuff! Go Mickey!

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
tigerlee said:
Absolutely correct. Darcy was on MMM this morning having a red hot go about the injustice and Eddie is agreeing and good old Malloy is egging them on - funny sh!t. In the middle of banter from Mick, Darcy pipes up saying something like, you only want the suspension so a Tiger wins the Brownlow. He meant it too as he was almost foaming at the mouth trying to get his words out. He got so riled up with Mick that he threatened to give him 6 hits in the Legends game. Mick was a crack up - just kept needling him and getting Darcy hot under the collar.

Mick bought up about the manifestly inadequate which set Maguire off also. Funny stuff! Go Mickey!

:rofl

knew it.

Go Molloy get stuck into 'em, especially Darcy. hahaha

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
With each and every passing year the MRP/tribunal (like society in general I guess) seemingly want to outdo themselves and keep lowering the bar as to what constitutes a suspensionable act on the field.

In the future players will be trained to only "lightly" tackle their opponent.

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
Al Bundy said:
:rofl

knew it.

Go Molloy get stuck into 'em, especially Darcy. hahaha

It was hilarious. The more Darcy said the more Mickey needled him and the more he lost control. If Mick plays in the Legends game I hope Jake King also plays and he gives Darcy the 6 hits promised. He is so full of his own importance is Darcy and he is not bright. Dunno anyone that likes him, me especially. I am so glad Mick is on Sat nights with Richo as Mick keeps Darcy in check, otherwise I am sure he would go Richo if he wasn't around. He is a flat track bully. Maguire is Colonwood centric so I don't listen to a lot he says. Sometimes he has intelligent thoughts but mostly if it benefits his club he sprouts it.

Both Darcy and Maguire were saying it should not be the outcome that determines the penalty to which Mick asked where they had been hiding when Houli was charged. He is right, they all said at the time that you can't knock someone out and not be suspended. Now they are saying it should be the action. Morons! They both tried to change the subject.

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigertim said:
With each and every passing year the MRP/tribunal (like society in general I guess) seemingly want to outdo themselves and keep lowering the bar as to what constitutes a suspensionable act on the field.

In the future players will be trained to only "lightly" tackle their opponent.

I don't think anyone is trying to take the tackle out of the game but I think they also have a duty to protect players from brain injuries. By not allowing the player to break his fall to the ground, the tackler runs a higher risk of hurting the other player. I think the rules need to protect players. Tackle hard but be mindful that if you let their head hit the ground you may be in trouble. You do not need to hold the tackle and drive the opposition into the ground, you can let the tackle go as they are falling surely. Having never played the game I wouldn't know but surely there is a way to make sure players are not risking their future with brain injuries through dangerous tackles.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Just watching the first segment of Talking Footy. They showed the Cam McCarthy tackle which resulted in a 2 week suspension. Justified - maybe. My point is that no one kicked up a fuss about it. Similar tackle in that the had spilled free from the tackle and the tackler continued on with the tackle, causing concussion. The ONLY reason this is flooding the media is because it is Dangerfield.
I did have a chuckle when Tim Watson was adamant that "just because he's a good bloke" does not means he should get off. He argued that according to the rules, the MRP made the correct decision. (Slightly different to what he argued when his son had to give back the Brownlow ).
I think it is ridiculous that if a player is injured in the tackle the onus is on the tackler but if there is no injury then there is no problem - this is just crazy, but it is the rule.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigerlee said:
I don't think anyone is trying to take the tackle out of the game but I think they also have a duty to protect players from brain injuries. By not allowing the player to break his fall to the ground, the tackler runs a higher risk of hurting the other player. I think the rules need to protect players. Tackle hard but be mindful that if you let their head hit the ground you may be in trouble. You do not need to hold the tackle and drive the opposition into the ground, you can let the tackle go as they are falling surely. Having never played the game I wouldn't know but surely there is a way to make sure players are not risking their future with brain injuries through dangerous tackles.
No, not saying that but that coaches will eventually say it's "not worth the risk of losing a player/s to suspension through hard tackles" so I reckon in the future the skill of tackling will change to "lightly" tackling.

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigertim said:
No, not saying that but that coaches will eventually say it's "not worth the risk of losing a player/s to suspension through hard tackles" so I reckon in the future the skill of tackling will change to "lightly" tackling.

thanks tigertim - I think I misunderstood and thought you were saying no tackles now! Cheers

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think it might be time to take the 'fairest' out of the Brownlow. There are too many incidental incidents these days that can cause a player to be suspended. It's a blight on their character to be ruled out of a Brownlow because of an indiscretion that is pretty much out of the player's control but Brownlow criteria classing them as unfair players. Dangerfield had never been suspended before. He plays within the rules and now is punished with no real recourse.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
David Schwarz suggested that players guilty of intentional incidents only be excluded from the Brownlow. Good suggestion.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Pussies have a QC on the case so he would have to come pro bono as they are doing it tough down there.

E

easy_tiger

Azza said:
David Schwarz suggested that players guilty of intentional incidents only be excluded from the Brownlow. Good suggestion.

yeah

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
I hope they appeal.

Result is two weeks or none.

One week suspension means he will be fresh and highly motivated against us.