Mykelti Lefau | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mykelti Lefau

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Wow, ud think half f the knockers here had played 250 outstanding AFL games ;)

The guy's made his way from Rugby to AFL...hence his age, so its been a long journey. He's overcome an ACL along the way and worked his a$$ off to get here....there are no free lunches.

It's his first AFL game in a side that lets face it was way below their best today against a side that could finish top 4.

Give the bloke a break and lets see what he can do. We're light on in physiques and bodies atm and at 195cm and around 100 kegs we could use his weight being thrown around given a few games. Let's see what he can do given some games.

MRJ has played nearly 30 games and still looks lost at times.

Peace.
Issue is he's a 26 year old project player even though he's played VFL since 2017. No doubting he's worked extremely hard to get here but I wasn't expecting him to look like such a rugby player even in a debut game for his age.

There were question marks on drafting Marlion at 27 years old but the guy was a natural at least.

Reactions: 1 user

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Will give him a mulligan, but at his age, he won’t get too many more. Dont expect miracles from him, but that was a witches hat type of performance.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
As far as debuts go, it smacked of Shane Morrison. Fair enough to one more game, but looked totally out of his depth. Didn’t see one thing that’d suggest he’ll make it at AFL level.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I remember when Samson Ryan was handed his debut 2 years too early. This guy is way off it.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
As far as debuts go, it smacked of Shane Morrison. Fair enough to one more game, but looked totally out of his depth. Didn’t see one thing that’d suggest he’ll make it at AFL level.
My 12yr old wouldve had more impact.
That last bit of play, was not VFL standard let alone AFL standard.
The worse development club in the league drafts a kid that took up the game 3 days ago.
Just sack the list management team.
Hopless

• Haha

LachlanGrant

Tiger Rookie
Oct 26, 2007
He looked to be lacking intensity and lost.
But yeah he was only supposed to be the sub and ideally activated later on to get a taste, not play the whole game.
I'd keep him in as the sub still but don't want him named on the ground until we're tanking or until injury necessitates it.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Think the club got enticed by his story and cult like status. Great for the VFL but nowhere near AFL especially where our list is at. Cannot afford spots to be taken up by a 27 year old project player. VFL different kettle of fish as the games are less skilled and tactical. Deer in headlights really. Not sure how EL Nour is not on our list ahead of this guy. Much better talent, upside and younger.
Lefau's athleticsm stands out much more playing against part timers than full time professionals.

Reactions: 2 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
maybe he was shell shocked to find he had a bloke matched to him that not only matches him for strength but possibly exceeds it (Ratugolea) as it is possible it's the first time this has happened to him in his footy career to date

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
The more I think about it, why did we elevate him to the 22 when MRJ withdrew. Surely Clarke would have been a less disruptive change to the 22 than bringing Lfau and keeping Lefau as sub?

Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
How many reserves games has he played as a tall? He only learned to mark over his head a month ago.

Dogwick would never have played him as a tall at senior level on that experience. Yze's had a go. This is what playing the kids looks like.

Reactions: 4 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
How many reserves games has he played as a tall? He only learned to mark over his head a month ago.

Dogwick would never have played him as a tall at senior level on that experience. Yze's had a go. This is what playing the kids looks like.
That's all fine and well if he was 19-20 and playing his first game. This is a bloke that is turning 27 and built like a tank. If he cannot impact games immediately then when will he? At 30? At his age he either has to make an immediate impact or he is of zero value.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Yep! A lot of people love this play the kids idea in theory, but freak the smile out when its put into practice.
It is pretty hard to watch at times, Joe Blake.
That's all fine and well if he was 19-20 and playing his first game. This is a bloke that is turning 27 and built like a tank. If he cannot impact games immediately then when will he? At 30? At his age he either has to make an immediate impact or he is of zero value.
That's the way we roll, dimma. We brought Marlion on from 27yo. Lots of mid 20s get a chance now. AFL players are getting harder to find. We'll see how he works out.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I am more perplexed by some saying give him 2-3 games in a row, why? he shouldn't have been picked in the first place, Still to roar.
As I've said this year should all be about learning in a professional full-time environment. Needs to go back to the ressies and learn the caper.
He is older then me and I have been watching Richmond for more then 45 yrs

• Love

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Yep! A lot of people love this play the kids idea in theory, but freak the smile out when its put into practice.
There was a rule the the Hawks that to get a senior game you had to play 50 games in the seconds .Mathews,Brerton,Tuck went through that.Thick they won a flag or two .....

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
True, snake, and there was a lot of ‘this guys gonna break opponents in half’ talk on here. Who can play that sort of game in the current AFL? Even if they can, they’ll wind up suspended out of a career pretty quickly. If we want to keep Balta forward and pinch hit in ruck with a still recovering Lynch, then we need to play another big guy in the forward line. After Mykelti the cupboard is bare.

Feb 25, 2007
True, snake, and there was a lot of ‘this guys gonna break opponents in half’ talk on here. Who can play that sort of game in the current AFL? Even if they can, they’ll wind up suspended out of a career pretty quickly. If we want to keep Balta forward and pinch hit in ruck with a still recovering Lynch, then we need to play another big guy in the forward line. After Mykelti the cupboard is bare.

Jacob Bauer and Fawcett is injured. Plus Kosi would provide more than Lefau at this present time.

Reactions: 1 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
The more I think about it, why did we elevate him to the 22 when MRJ withdrew. Surely Clarke would have been a less disruptive change to the 22 than bringing Lfau and keeping Lefau as sub?
Clarke probably wasn't ready to play If MJ injured himself in the warm up 5 minutes before the game.