Mykelti Lefau | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mykelti Lefau

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yep! A lot of people love this play the kids idea in theory, but freak the smile out when its put into practice.
Is 26 y.o. a kid? How many 1 kick players do you want to play next game? Let's be honest; great story but he looked at sea.

Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Wow, ud think half f the knockers here had played 250 outstanding AFL games ;)

The guy's made his way from Rugby to AFL...hence his age, so its been a long journey. He's overcome an ACL along the way and worked his a$$ off to get here....there are no free lunches.

It's his first AFL game in a side that lets face it was way below their best today against a side that could finish top 4.

Give the bloke a break and lets see what he can do. We're light on in physiques and bodies atm and at 195cm and around 100 kegs we could use his weight being thrown around given a few games. Let's see what he can do given some games.

MRJ has played nearly 30 games and still looks lost at times.

Peace.
TBF, I think people are judging him on what he delivered - WE DID see what he could do ... this match, and it was highly disappointing. Several of us commented on not seeing what he actually offers.
I/we know he's a great story, no doubt a lovely guy, wish him the absolute best, and happy to see him get other chances when he's truly ready. But once you run on to play an AFL game, you've entered the cauldron and there's no place to hide.

Yes, difficult circumstances for him, and Lynch coming back from injury - he was really poor too. Meanwhile, and sure you state that Port are a possible top 4 side and very experienced KPFs but Dixon, Finlayson and Marshall all had 14/15 Ds each and kicked nine goals between them. They have also Lord waiting in the wings ready to take over from Charlie in a year or 2 (the kind of promising, genuine AFL talent we should be targeting especially since they grabbed Soldo too). But PA have succession planning in place whereas we seem to be searching through the bargain bin, just like in the bad old days.

So perhaps you need to be asking, how has the club got into such a mess? Were those performances good enough? Sustainable? Does Kosi offer much more?

I don't think Cartoon or PA are SO good. We just look like crap TBH. (Could drafting have anything to do with it? So should we have taken Hopper as well as TT? What about JVR - no need/no good? Even with JR going and TL turning 32 in '24?).

I sincerely hope Lefau can do vastly better in time. But you cannot be very positive after that performance.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Jacob Bauer and Fawcett is injured. Plus Kosi would provide more than Lefau at this present time.
They seem to have Bauer pigeonholed as a defender. Give Lefau a few games. We’ve stuck with Dow s far, and going in with him atm is like going in a man short.

Feb 25, 2007
They seem to have Bauer pigeonholed as a defender. Give Lefau a few games. We’ve stuck with Dow s far, and going in with him atm is like going in a man short.

That was the plan for Bauer to play back but that could well change.

You cannot give Lefau another game based on that lacklustre performance. He looked way out of his depth. Back to the ressies to learn his craft.

Dow I do like has some good qualities but he had a mare against GC and now V Port. Blues he did ok.
Also, needs to be dropped and work on his one-on-one contest work and win more contested possessions from centre bounces and stoppages. He got brushed aside too easily v Port. He just didn't go in hard enough in the centre and around the packs, that's a non-negotiable.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
He's had a few VFL seasons now - one with Casey (2017), and a couple with us (one also interupted by an ACL).
At 26yo, I hope he's got some scope for improvement.
I wasn't fully aware of his history so thanks for the update. He should have been able to show more on Sunday

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Didn't do a lot. But it was a tough gig for him.

Not many (any) clubs have someone Ratugolea's size as third tall for him to play on.

If he gets another gig this week he'll get Melican or Rampe. Good players, but at least he'll have the size advantage he likely needs.

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Didn't do a lot. But it was a tough gig for him.

Not many (any) clubs have someone Ratugolea's size as third tall for him to play on.

If he gets another gig this week he'll get Melican or Rampe. Good players, but at least he'll have the size advantage he likely needs.
I genuinely hope he does well. It's a great story if he does and shows just what perserverence and self belief can do.
But I have to wonder, why? It's not like we're knocking on the door for the top 4, and we need mature bodies who'll help us win a flag.

We're a good 4-5 years away from being competetitve for a flag based on current performances. He'd be 30-31, and likely on the decline.
Apart from he deserves a shot for all the hard work, I don't see how he fits for us right now. Can anyone else see the benefit?

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
TBF, I think people are judging him on what he delivered - WE DID see what he could do ... this match, and it was highly disappointing. Several of us commented on not seeing what he actually offers.
I/we know he's a great story, no doubt a lovely guy, wish him the absolute best, and happy to see him get other chances when he's truly ready. But once you run on to play an AFL game, you've entered the cauldron and there's no place to hide.

Yes, difficult circumstances for him, and Lynch coming back from injury - he was really poor too. Meanwhile, and sure you state that Port are a possible top 4 side and very experienced KPFs but Dixon, Finlayson and Marshall all had 14/15 Ds each and kicked nine goals between them. They have also Lord waiting in the wings ready to take over from Charlie in a year or 2 (the kind of promising, genuine AFL talent we should be targeting especially since they grabbed Soldo too). But PA have succession planning in place whereas we seem to be searching through the bargain bin, just like in the bad old days.

So perhaps you need to be asking, how has the club got into such a mess? Were those performances good enough? Sustainable? Does Kosi offer much more?

I don't think Cartoon or PA are SO good. We just look like crap TBH. (Could drafting have anything to do with it? So should we have taken Hopper as well as TT? What about JVR - no need/no good? Even with JR going and TL turning 32 in '24?).

I sincerely hope Lefau can do vastly better in time. But you cannot be very positive after that performance.
Sure there is no place to hide but my point was that you really can't ascertain as to a players value from one game.....

If that were the case, Alex Rance would have been consigned to the players scrapheap after his first game. We have short memories indeed.

The rest of your points re succession planning appear to have merit.....at this early stage, only time will tell.

This list will be rebuilt over the next three years and must be, before the Tassie Devils sweep the cream of talent at the draft.....

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I’d start Clarke and give Mykelti the sub role, which I believe was the plan for Sunday, but then the MJR back issue, so they started Lefau and brought Juddy in as the sub.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Apart from he deserves a shot for all the hard work, I don't see how he fits for us right now. Can anyone else see the benefit?
the club remains in denial to the fact the list isn't good for the now and certainly not for the future at this point in time.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Honestly it was a bit like watching Israel Folau playing for the Giant$. Only way is up from that performance.

getting covered in milky ways and polywaffles and a dozen huge blokes wearing your face doing the Haka,

isn't an ideal preparation for your first game of footy IMHO

quite literally, made a big song and dance of it.

It'd be great to see RFC get a hold in the Pacific. It was colourful and cool and I enjoyed it. But not a good preparation for the kid.

I think Arousal is the sports science term.

But the give from Dusty showed respect, and the give to Mansell showed composure

looking forward to Game 2.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
I didn't see the game

but a bad game is a bad game and its pretty clear Lefau had one and we are not community football

Caesar did mention he looked particularly good to half time in the previous VFL game and we love Caesar's eye for spotting talent
and he has been impressing other VFL watchers , can jump the gap between VFL & AFL ?

Hopefully he gets another chance whether it be the next game or later in the season

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Can only go up from here.

Think it shows what athletic beasts aliir aliir and ratogolea are. Also stood out to me how tall aliir aliir is. Not sure he could have found much worse of a matchup - along with just being overawed by the situation.

Ports kicking was also just sublime in general on the day from my distant viewing perch. Some of the kicks were like watching Brady or Mahones just put it in the tiny little space possible where it couldn’t get intercepted and only you can catch it. Lefau didn’t have it kicked to his advantage once IMO - even though that may have been partly caused by him too.

Will give him plenty to chew on.

billybarrot

Tiger Cub
Feb 18, 2008

For all their succession planning, PA have been spectacularly unsuccessful for 20 years.

• Haha

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
For all their succession planning, PA have been spectacularly unsuccessful for 20 years.
Absolutely, and I regard their latest efforts to recruit Ratogolea and BZK to bolster their perceived deficiencies in defence in support of Allir, is possibly their last-ditch effort to win one under Hinkley. I think, with their strong, big-bodied mids like Wines, Boak and Drew and speed added through Rozee and Butters, along with 3KPFs and several quality kicking players, they may be in with one of their better opportunities in '24. That still doesn't mean they will be up to it.
Yes, but your statement along with our astounding (in modern AFL context) 3 flags in 4 years (that coulda/shoulda been 4/4!), is the total retort to our media harassers like Cornknob.
But we support RFC, and as I posted long ago, we have to live in the present. You don't, and cannot, attend our games or follow on the media, and not want and barrack for success. You cannot follow every game with the attitude, " ... it's fine to get beaten every game ... I don't mind ... because of those flags ending 3.5 years ago." I still bleed every game we lose. I have to accept we're back to battler status and still glow in the glory of thos great flag wins but losing is never fun or easy.

I think we all realise we have/had to take a couple of steps back, but I still want to see one step forward under Yze in our new era. Hate to say it, but the Moggies, and to a lesser extent Sydanee, show the way herein, to be always contending or not far off, making finals.

Who wants a return to the doldrums?

Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Sure there is no place to hide but my point was that you really can't ascertain as to a players value from one game.....

If that were the case, Alex Rance would have been consigned to the players scrapheap after his first game. We have short memories indeed.

The rest of your points re succession planning appear to have merit.....at this early stage, only time will tell.

This list will be rebuilt over the next three years and must be, before the Tassie Devils sweep the cream of talent at the draft.....
So we are hardly in disagreement really. You concede it was a poor debut which was my main point, just like Rance (I'll happily take your word on that, too long ago to remember now, but he well and truly compensated for it!!). But I certainly remember Samsun Ryan's in the wet against the Aints; similar to Lefau's except worse from memory. It happens.

And I have no problem with either of these two current players getting plenty more chances, as I've said re ML. They literally/probably can only improve, and Ryan has to an extent, from there.

But it was not an auspicious start.

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Yes....he took his chances today.

Let's just give our kids/draftees time to see what we really have and then make the appropriate calls.

Its the only way we can make correct list decisions moving forward.

As a famous bloke once said....."a week's a long time in football "

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Absolutely, and I regard their latest efforts to recruit Ratogolea and BZK to bolster their perceived deficiencies in defence in support of Allir, is possibly their last-ditch effort to win one under Hinkley. I think, with their strong, big-bodied mids like Wines, Boak and Drew and

I think we all realise we have/had to take a couple of steps back, but I still want to see one step forward under Yze in our new era. Hate to say it, but the Moggies, and to a lesser extent Sydanee, show the way herein, to be always contending or not far off, making finals.

Who wants a return to the doldrums?

Agree....and disagree at the same time.

We have been ravaged by injury from our first game and have been competitive in every game we have played, albeit for lapses which is to be expected from a changed/young side. We could be 2-2 as we speak with a young and undermanned list. What is for certain is that we will see many changes moving forward and many new faces....and that is exciting.

Win, lose or draw....I'm looking forward to seeing these kids develop and the list be added to or culled for what we need/are looking for.

My 2c

If you were at the game today, you will understand what I mean.