Nakia cockatoo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nakia cockatoo

A little bit of footage on Nakia Cockatoo

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-15/draft-prospect-nakia-cockato

Gotta stop watching him cause he is swaying my opinion. If taken at 12 I'm cool with that

turk-d-tiger said:
A little bit of footage on Nakia Cockatoo

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-15/draft-prospect-nakia-cockato
It's coming up as a 404. Might've been removed?

YinnarTiger said:
No, he's made a mistake with the link. Stick another "o" on the end of the link and it will work.
Cheers, well spotted.

He has a little bit of Dusty about him but also reminded me of, strangely, Danyle Pearce.

Nakia Cockatoo stats

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?pID=190478010&c=1-2860-88792-0-&action=PSTATS

Juan watched the highlights and I'm sold. Exactly what we are lacking and what we need. X factor definitely. Can win and extract his own ball, has a great fend off, seems like he has good foot skills and most importantly genuine pace.
I definaty think we should bite the bullet and call his name at 12. This is the type of player to help get us to genuine flag contenders. Be bold as if this pays off wow wat a player we will have. He reminds me of nat fyfe. Unique X factor player who can turn games off his own accord.
Nakia no 12 for me.

will be gone at pick 16 with North. He had impressed them as part of the AIS scholarship program. Joined in match simulation and played as a small forward against the north's main defence and more than held his own.

go polo said:
will be gone at pick 16 with North. He had impressed them as part of the AIS scholarship program. Joined in match simulation and played as a small forward against the north's main defence and more than held his own.

Yeah this is true, North were uber impressed with what he did. Also the fact that his behaviour & leadership was outstanding on the AIS tour.

I think that his body shape will change dramatically very quickly. I'm still not convinced we don't call his name at 12. It's so wide open. But I agree he won't get past North.

Nakia's listed as 185cm on the site that cannot be named. I've been reading everywhere else that he's closer to 190cm. Anyone know his measurements from the combine?

Tigertool said:
If he's around 190cm he should be the player we draft with 12.

I agree but it is just not what we do. FJ will go either Duggan,Ellis,DeGoey no matter what falls (assuming Weller is gone otherwise he's a no brainer).

To get me excited would be the names - Durdin, Cockatoo, Langford - high ceiling big scope lads.

The boys Lamb and Goddard will be very handy players in the future mark my words and we will look back saying why didnt we pick em especially their physical attributes.

GEDS1 said:
The boys Lamb and Goddard will be very handy players in the future mark my words and we will look back saying why didnt we pick em especially their physical attributes.

Won't that only happen if our pick turns out to be a bust? We've only got one pick and can't take em all!

Looking closely, he seemed to run into trouble a lot in that 1 game.

It looks impressive how he twisted out of trouble against kids with no defensive skills, but in almost every possession he's caught off-guard by the opposition.

Does he lack awareness?

That mark he took when he drifted 10 metres sideways before the umpire called play-on was a bit concerning. It was like he didn't realise he did it. With ball in hand, he was often surprised by a would-be tackler and his kicking looked less effective as a result (in contrast to his combine results). Looked rushed against kids. Could become a rabbit in headlights at AFL level.

If you subtract his 2 fast runs at the end, his 1 game looks average. Might be no better than Blease, who was recruited on the back of similar offensive bursts at U18 level. His stronger body is the thing that excites me the most though, and he reminds me a little of Alex Rance with his desperation, which is a redeeming quality. IMO he could potentially have Dustin Martin's running patterns with Jayden Post's awareness.

Based off 1 game, anyway.

There's definitely a level of excitement at the possibility of what he might become, but ultimately if I were in charge of recruiting and only had that 1 game and his combine results to go by, I would cite his lack of awareness (resulting in reduced kicking ability under pressure, rendering his combine result inconclusive) and lack of ability to find space against kids as two key reasons not to select Cockatoo at Pick 12.

Stylo said:
Nakia's listed as 185cm on the site that cannot be named. I've been reading everywhere else that he's closer to 190cm. Anyone know his measurements from the combine?

186.2cm, 86.4kg