Nakia cockatoo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nakia cockatoo

GEDS1 said:
The boys Lamb and Goddard will be very handy players in the future mark my words and we will look back saying why didnt we pick em especially their physical attributes.
Goddard was touted as a possible #1 pick 12-18 months ago, apparently bit of a head case worried about the "#1 tag" and his game hasn't come on since.

mtench said:
Goddard was touted as a possible #1 pick 12-18 months ago, apparently bit of a head case worried about the "#1 tag" and his game hasn't come on since.

Finished off the season well in defence. For all we know he may well be the one who slips and everyone regrets they didn't pick.

Tigers of Old said:
Finished off the season well in defence. For all we know he may well be the one who slips and everyone regrets they didn't pick.
Have a feeling that Essendon may be "involved" here a little.....

Chimptastic said:
Looking closely, he seemed to run into trouble a lot in that 1 game.

It looks impressive how he twisted out of trouble against kids with no defensive skills, but in almost every possession he's caught off-guard by the opposition.

Does he lack awareness?

That mark he took when he drifted 10 metres sideways before the umpire called play-on was a bit concerning. It was like he didn't realise he did it. With ball in hand, he was often surprised by a would-be tackler and his kicking looked less effective as a result (in contrast to his combine results). Looked rushed against kids. Could become a rabbit in headlights at AFL level.

If you subtract his 2 fast runs at the end, his 1 game looks average. Might be no better than Blease, who was recruited on the back of similar offensive bursts at U18 level. His stronger body is the thing that excites me the most though, and he reminds me a little of Alex Rance with his desperation, which is a redeeming quality. IMO he could potentially have Dustin Martin's running patterns with Jayden Post's awareness.

Based off 1 game, anyway.

There's definitely a level of excitement at the possibility of what he might become, but ultimately if I were in charge of recruiting and only had that 1 game and his combine results to go by, I would cite his lack of awareness (resulting in reduced kicking ability under pressure, rendering his combine result inconclusive) and lack of ability to find space against kids as two key reasons not to select Cockatoo at Pick 12.

I agree with you.

He could well be a star but he could also be JON Mk2.

He was injured for a big part of this year.

I would prefer a safer option and besides, still a chance Weller or Ahern will be available at our pick.

SkillzThatKillz said:
I agree with you.

He could well be a star but he could also be JON Mk2.

He was injured for a big part of this year.

I would prefer a safer option and besides, still a chance Weller or Ahern will be available at our pick.
BAsed on highlights only I'd prefer we took a risk on cockatoo rather than Ahern. His highlights don't show anything much to be excited about other than he looks a good smart fwd. Not much there to show his midfield capabilities which is primarily what were after. I may be wrong be his highlights show a fwd/mid type not primarily a mid...

For the record, Nakia's repeat sprint was faster than Dangerfield, he is a jet, no two ways about it.

What is his body of work like prior to this year?

For him to make the AIS squad there ust be some earlier performances to call upon.

This is where the astute recruiting teams that track players for years in advance come into there own when evaluating talent.

keepa lids onit said:
BAsed on highlights only I'd prefer we took a risk on cockatoo rather than Ahern. His highlights don't show anything much to be excited about other than he looks a good smart fwd. Not much there to show his midfield capabilities which is primarily what were after. I may be wrong be his highlights show a fwd/mid type not primarily a mid...

I don't think we can afford to stuff this pick up and Nakia would be a risky option IMO.

Has had stress fractures in his foot and has barely played any footy this year.

Ahern has shown consistent form and we would know what we would be getting.

Nakia probably has a higher ceiling of potential.

I just hope the unlikely event occurs and that is that Weller is available and we nab him.

bullus_hit said:
For the record, Nakia's repeat sprint was faster than Dangerfield, he is a jet, no two ways about it.

By that definition of jet, JON is a jet, no two ways about it! 8-

I've seen about 20secs of Cockatoo and I really don't see what we've got to lose. The physical attributes are obvious, the attitude is supposed to be top notch, and he would make a huge point of difference on our list. Speed AND power by the bucket load.

Chimptastic said:
By that definition of jet, JON is a jet, no two ways about it! 8-

Sorry, very poor comparison indeed. Just look at their body types for starters, JON would have been 70kg wringing wet when he was recruited, playing in the WAFL he managed to hit 81kg, still under weight for the AFL in my opinion. Cockatoo presents as a Dangerfield & Martin type, I predict he will develop a formidable inside game once he builds on his strength. Let's just do a quick check on what he brings to the table.

Kicking - dual-sided, good depth, can kick well at full pace & scored 29/30 at the combine
Speed - elite, faster than Dangerfield & Rioli, a true power athlete with terrific acceleration
Agility - top class, can switch direction with ease and isn't afraid to use his non-preferred, can also fend off tacklers with a trademark 'don't argue'
Endurance - very good for a player with limited preparation, better than Martin & Dangerfield at the equivalent stage
Football Pedigree - Level 2 AIS graduate, one doesn't get to this level without talent, North have seen him close up and like what they see
Character - well liked and well respected by his peers, contributed to the team cause whilst on tour despite being unable to play, comes from a footballing family
Performance - outshone his peers on grand final day in front of thousands, BOG ahead of more highly fancied draftees
Versatility - has played all over the ground when playing for NT Thunder & the AIS, a true utility in every sense of the word, his leap & speed allows him to play forward or back

The bottom line is we need speed and I doubt we'll get it at 33 with Menadue, Garlett & McKenzie likely to be off the board. We simply cannot afford to leave this for next season & beyond. Some say we should plump for Garlett but he is not as quick as Cockatoo, he also doesn't fit into the category of power midfielder. The way I look at it is we have the perfect athlete with a solid set of skills, someone who has the ceiling of a Dangerfield or Martin. If we are to make inroads then we must start becoming innovative and true leaders in player development. We have a real chance here to lock in a missing link, I think we must throw caution to the wind and stitch up Nakia Cockatoo with pick 12.

bullus_hit said:
Sorry, very poor comparison indeed. Just look at their body types for starters, JON would have been 70kg wringing wet when he was recruited, playing in the WAFL he managed to hit 81kg, still under weight for the AFL in my opinion. Cockatoo presents as a Dangerfield & Martin type, I predict he will develop a formidable inside game once he builds on his strength. Let's just do a quick check on what he brings to the table.

Kicking - dual-sided, good depth, can kick well at full pace & scored 29/30 at the combine
Speed - elite, faster than Dangerfield & Rioli, a true power athlete with terrific acceleration
Agility - top class, can switch direction with ease and isn't afraid to use his non-preferred, can also fend off tacklers with a trademark 'don't argue'
Endurance - very good for a player with limited preparation, better than Martin & Dangerfield at the equivalent stage
Football Pedigree - Level 2 AIS graduate, one doesn't get to this level without talent, North have seen him close up and like what they see
Character - well liked and well respected by his peers, contributed to the team cause whilst on tour despite being unable to play, comes from a footballing family
Performance - outshone his peers on grand final day in front of thousands, BOG ahead of more highly fancied draftees
Versatility - has played all over the ground when playing for NT Thunder & the AIS, a true utility in every sense of the word, his leap & speed allows him to play forward or back

The bottom line is we need speed and I doubt we'll get it at 33 with Menadue, Garlett & McKenzie likely to be off the board. We simply cannot afford to leave this for next season & beyond. Some say we should plump for Garlett but he is not as quick as Cockatoo, he also doesn't fit into the category of power midfielder. The way I look at it is we have the perfect athlete with a solid set of skills, someone who has the ceiling of a Dangerfield or Martin. If we are to make inroads then we must start becoming innovative and true leaders in player development. We have a real chance here to lock in a missing link, I think we must throw caution to the wind and stitch up Nakia Cockatoo with pick 12.

Don't forget he has missed most of the year with stress fractures in his foot.

I'm not 100% against picking him up, I just hope that if we do, that our recruiting staff have put their due diligence into his footy over the last couple/few years and have made the relevant enquiries with regards to his stress fractures.

Having said that, I'm sure we would be doing our due diligence as we did with Jack Trengove.

He certainly has a high ceiling of potential and a footy ready body.

Seems to be quite mature too.

If we don't pick him up @ 12, he won't last to our 2nd rounder.

Interesting times ahead, especially if Weller/Ahern/Laverde have all been picked up before 12.

What about his mental toughness Bully? I'm often concerned about the guys from NT having to move away from home and deal with loss of contact with family, pressures of AFL etc. Obviously that's partly answered by the AIS stuff.

I'd hate to see another Tambling style recruitment decision, where we take a player with an important pick, who just didn't have that extra strong mental toughness to deal with the adjustment.

We need speed, but I'd prefer to take a slightly slower player (not a snail!) that is more likely to adjust to the rigours, if that's what it comes down to.

bullus_hit said:

Once again Bully i implore you to forward this to you know who.

The_General said:
What about his mental toughness Bully? I'm often concerned about the guys from NT having to move away from home and deal with loss of contact with family, pressures of AFL etc. Obviously that's partly answered by the AIS stuff.

I'd hate to see another Tambling style recruitment decision, where we take a player with an important pick, who just didn't have that extra strong mental toughness to deal with the adjustment.

We need speed, but I'd prefer to take a slightly slower player (not a snail!) that is more likely to adjust to the rigours, if that's what it comes down to.
You are right for an indigenous kid the move from the NT must be daunting. Maurice Rioli, Michael Long, Daryl White, Ronnie Burns, Andrew McLeod, Aaron Davey, Peter Burgoyne, Xavier Clarke, Richard Tambling, Raphael Clarke, Daniel Motlop, Cyril Rioli, Austin Wonaeamirri, Gilbert McAdam, Adrian McAdam all seem to have been able to make it at some level and lets not forget Bling did play 100 games for us.

This kid is different to Tambling, in that he spent a reasonable amount of time with North last year.

His dad was a North listed player and would probably be able to help him with advice and experience.

The closest thing I have seen on a footy ground to Dustin Martin since...................well Dustin Martin. Get it done Tigers.

We just need FJ to grow some :p :p :p :p :p He will never select Cockatoo , Give him a Bampton everyday of the week

Lets hope Luke persuades him to grow some