Nakia cockatoo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nakia cockatoo

Geez BH, you could sell ice to the eskimos :hihi

Compelling arguments though. A combination of Cockatoo (12) and Gore (33), which is not unrealistic, could potentially solve a few critical problems for us in one go.

Question for you - Weller vs Cockatoo, who wins?

Stylo said:
Geez BH, you could sell ice to the eskimos :hihi

Compelling arguments though. A combination of Cockatoo (12) and Gore (33), which is not unrealistic, could potentially solve a few critical problems for us in one go.

Question for you - Weller vs Cockatoo, who wins?

Would probably give the nod to Weller who is also lightening quick. He didn't attend the combine but have managed to uncover one recent time, a 2.91sec/20metres, which is pretty much neck & neck with Cockatoo. He isn't a power athlete though, this is what makes Nakia so appealing, his potential is huge.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Don't forget he has missed most of the year with stress fractures in his foot.

I'm not 100% against picking him up, I just hope that if we do, that our recruiting staff have put their due diligence into his footy over the last couple/few years and have made the relevant enquiries with regards to his stress fractures.

Having said that, I'm sure we would be doing our due diligence as we did with Jack Trengove.

He certainly has a high ceiling of potential and a footy ready body.

Seems to be quite mature too.

If we don't pick him up @ 12, he won't last to our 2nd rounder.

Interesting times ahead, especially if Weller/Ahern/Laverde have all been picked up before 12.

I have it on very good authority that he passed his medical with flying colours, nothing to fear with the stress fractures.

The_General said:
What about his mental toughness Bully? I'm often concerned about the guys from NT having to move away from home and deal with loss of contact with family, pressures of AFL etc. Obviously that's partly answered by the AIS stuff.

Most at the AIS have applauded his attitude whilst in recovery mode, he still kept up with his basic training and toured with the international squad. The fact that he missed so much football and then performed to such a high standard in his first game is commendable. He did mention earlier in the year he wanted to play for Port, a slight red flag but then again every kid wants to play for the team they barracked for. Get him in a professional environment and all that will be forgotten.

I'm sold Bully.

You're 100% correct about the need to pick up this type of player now, as we will only fall further behind the top 4 the longer we leave it.
Like many others I don't like the chances of FJ signing off on him at pick 12. However, I can only hope that his cautious approach to first round picks has served its purpose and there is now a perfect opportunity to begin to bring in some flair and line-breaking silk.

bullus_hit said:
Would probably give the nod to Weller who is also lightening quick. He didn't attend the combine but have managed to uncover one recent time, a 2.91sec/20metres, which is pretty much neck & neck with Cockatoo. He isn't a power athlete though, this is what makes Nakia so appealing, his potential is huge.

I'd take Weller too. I think Weller can be a really good player, I've come around on him. Not vanilla at all. Takes the game. Although he isn't a power athlete, I reckon he's a better footballer than Cocky. But not a better highlight machine. Won't reach the high points that Cocky does but will be above average a lot more times than Cocky over the course of the journey.

bullus_hit said:

Earlier this year, well before the combine, Weller recorded the following times 5mtr 1.04 10mtr 1.74 20mtr 2.91 and 8.25 for the agility
Cockatoo did 1.06, 1.70, 2.90 and 8.51 at the combine and had an outstanding repeat sprint test of 23.93.

Just dipping into the archives from 2013 & Nakia was BOG versus Queensland last year. Interesting to note that Weller also played.

Nakia Cockatoo

17 disposals, 4 marks, 3 clearances, 8 tackles, 4 inside 50’s and 3 rebounds. Was able to hit the scoreboard with 1 goal and 2 behinds.

Lachlan Weller

18 disposals, 2 contested marks, and 4 inside 50’s

Over the course of the five matches he averaged 5.8 tackles which was exceptional (finished 3rd overall), and 8.4 contested possessions a match. This just adds weight to the fact he can really develop as the complete midfielder.

17 disposals, 4 marks, 3 clearances, 8 tackles, 4 inside 50’s and 3 rebounds. Was able to hit the scoreboard with 1 goal and 2 behinds

Kids a Gun - I would be over the moon if we get this kid.

Lets start a petition to lobby FJ

Cant believe the nay sayers saying -------------- Ohhh what if he is another JON

bullus_hit said:
Sorry, very poor comparison indeed. Just look at their body types for starters, JON would have been 70kg wringing wet when he was recruited, playing in the WAFL he managed to hit 81kg, still under weight for the AFL in my opinion. Cockatoo presents as a Dangerfield & Martin type, I predict he will develop a formidable inside game once he builds on his strength. Let's just do a quick check on what he brings to the table.

Kicking - dual-sided, good depth, can kick well at full pace & scored 29/30 at the combine
Speed - elite, faster than Dangerfield & Rioli, a true power athlete with terrific acceleration
Agility - top class, can switch direction with ease and isn't afraid to use his non-preferred, can also fend off tacklers with a trademark 'don't argue'
Endurance - very good for a player with limited preparation, better than Martin & Dangerfield at the equivalent stage
Football Pedigree - Level 2 AIS graduate, one doesn't get to this level without talent, North have seen him close up and like what they see
Character - well liked and well respected by his peers, contributed to the team cause whilst on tour despite being unable to play, comes from a footballing family
Performance - outshone his peers on grand final day in front of thousands, BOG ahead of more highly fancied draftees
Versatility - has played all over the ground when playing for NT Thunder & the AIS, a true utility in every sense of the word, his leap & speed allows him to play forward or back

The bottom line is we need speed and I doubt we'll get it at 33 with Menadue, Garlett & McKenzie likely to be off the board. We simply cannot afford to leave this for next season & beyond. Some say we should plump for Garlett but he is not as quick as Cockatoo, he also doesn't fit into the category of power midfielder. The way I look at it is we have the perfect athlete with a solid set of skills, someone who has the ceiling of a Dangerfield or Martin. If we are to make inroads then we must start becoming innovative and true leaders in player development. We have a real chance here to lock in a missing link, I think we must throw caution to the wind and stitch up Nakia Cockatoo with pick 12.

Just being facetious with the JON remark, they're very different. I like the fact Nakia is a power athlete and serves a huge need of ours. I'd even be excited if we recruited him and be pretty happy at the opportunity to win at the gamble.

Your post confirms what I said though. The pros you listed were:

- speed
- agility
- endurance
- pedigree
- character
- performance in 1 match (albeit, a good one)
- versatility
- combine kicking test ( which would be rendered inconclusive if he lacks awareness at AFL level)

All points except for one have nothing to do with his actual football ability.

- Footy brain.
- Smarts.
- Chimp-like gooey goodness.

These are the traits we should prioritise in all first round draft picks. Best footballer available, regardless of list needs. The comparisons in this thread are mostly based on him being an incredible athlete. For most other possessions he looked rushed against kids, ran into trouble, and rushed his disposal. He also won some inside ball, which was good.

Since he was coming back from injury, we simply don't know if he will improve his awareness as he adjusts to the pace - there's a real risk he's a Jayden Post in this regard. If so, for all the athletic gifts in the world it wouldn't matter without a football brain and awareness.

I do however share your feelings of temptation at the combination of his inside contested ability, outside pace, tackling, and big body. Just have doubts over his awareness and footy smarts, since he couldn't easily find space in that video (apart from his two bursts at full pace). As a supporter, it would be fun to take a punt on him based on limited data, but from a recruiter's perspective I can fully appreciate their decision on Pick 12 whatever they decide to do.

Not sure I quite agree with the sentiments about awareness, I thought he created separation and took the game on. To me he has smarts & football instincts, you can't teach that. It's a familiar trait with many of the indigenous lads, they have flare and daring, it's something we haven't had in our side for a long time.

Nakia is probably my favourite player in the draft this year, There is just so much going for this kid that the potential is just unbelievable

At #12 its almost impossible to get a Delidio,Martin,Cotchin type player these day as the recruiting is extremely well educated to let these kids slide these days,Sure you will still get 1 maybe 2 that will fall through the cracks but your top 1-6 players are usually the cream unless they have reasons for slipping down the order

Cockatoo has a reason he was injured and still come back 1st game to get BOG and i dont care who he was playing - Its not bloody easy to put up a performance that good in your 1st game back specially to out perform the likes of Weller & Heeney who would easily go top 10 this year.

Richmond Football Club are in a unique position this year where the top 10 choices are very good and the clubs before us cant afford to take that risk but after the top 10 it evens out to about #22-maybe even #30 so we really dont have a great deal to reach as im pretty confident that North will be right into him at #16, They were very much hoping for Cockatoo to slip to their 2nd but are now resigned to the fact its #16 or nothing as he will be gone by their next pick.

We have the chance to pick up possibly an A grade talent with #12 if we take the risk and its about time we do as he is everything that the club needs Bullus_hit likened him to a Martin Dangerfield, I have been going on about Nakia on other forums for about 3 months now and have been a fan alot longer than that and Thought he was a Delidio/Martin cross in some of the things he does

Speed.Marking,breaking away from packs running bounces before kicking goals, Dont argue strength - The kid has it all and there is even a little Adam Goodes in some of the things he does. Also must remember that this kid is an under age player who is almost a year younger than alot of his peers and has the possibility to grow another 2-3 cm.

If we recruited Nakia and put him into our development with Chocco and 2 pre seasons and a year in the reserves learning our structures . game style being around true proffesionals like Lids,Cotchin,Riewoldt,Martin,Ellis,Newman,Rance Big Ivy along with Miles,Foley,Vlastuin,Lennon - He will be just perfect for 2016 season to add the silky speed just when we need him.

Cockatoo can be anything with all the tools he has its just that we need to harness his eagerness and teach him how to use his assets to maximise damage, His major problem is that he just tries too hard and tries to do too much an needs to learn that he just needs to learn to take the 1st best option and also needs to learn the defensive aspects of the game, He is all attack and little defence but they all are at his age. He was just 17 and will be a beast to control in 2-3 years time

If Nakia is still on the board at #12 and we dont select him i will be extremely dissapointed and will always look at this kid and think wow what could of been
francis Jackson used #6 for Reece Conca #12 is worh nakia - Hell i would trade Conca for Cockatoo in a minute now

Just to add to what Turk said, he also rucked last year as an underager, pick-pocketing 7 hit outs against NSW/ACT. This isn't to suggest he's a future ruckman but more to highlight his leap & dynamic nature. All this was done as a relative lightweight, he's managed to pile on 4kg over the past 12 months.

More and more jumping on the cocky train it seems.
Let's take a risk FJ....we don't need anymore vlas conca's....

I just watched his highlights again in between viewing Weller and Duggan.

Maybe it's just excitement, but I've changed my mind. I like him.

His movements reminds me of both Martin and Rance with a little spice, I just can't judge his kicking as he went short backwards/sideways or got tackled with most of his kicks... our recruiters would know his kicking well enough though, so I'd be happy to see him come to Punt Road. Sounds like we rate the other kids higher atm though.

Baloo said:
If we land him his nickname has to be "Hello"

:hihi

Something about his disposal:

"Before last year's under-18 carnival, Cockatoo felt some pain in his foot. He had it checked, was told to rest, and came back to feature in all five of his team's games, showing good signs with his strength, neat disposal and ability to win his own possessions."

Not totally convinced based on the short highlights reel. Disposal seemed a bit iffy and I can see a little of the awareness issue some have been talking about. Not sure I'd want to risk 1st rounder.

The HUN reports that West Coast are firming for Nakia if Pickett is taken before them. The plot thickens.....

West Coast have interviewed Cocky several times, have met his family and have done full medicals. Given Pickett looks likely to go to GWS I'd say he's a virtual lock at 11.