Need to arrange protest against AFL crackdown on barracking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Need to arrange protest against AFL crackdown on barracking

easy said:
Im not gonna go to Adelaide in solidarity.

Gil, go and get *smile*ed
Yep. I'm staying home as well. Might not even bother turning the t.v. on, just wait for the back page headline Friday to confirm a greater certainty than Winx has ever been.

TigerMasochist said:
Yep. I'm staying home as well. Might not even bother turning the t.v. on, just wait for the back page headline Friday to confirm a greater certainty than Winx has ever been.
Yep, there hasn’t been a bigger certainty since the ALP winning the last federal election.

I’ve been going to the footy for almost 40 years now.
I’ve loved the game and I love our mighty Tigers with a passion.
But for the first time ever, I am feeling utterly disillusioned with the way the competition is develoving.....yes DEVOLVING!!

Since the days of Ross Oakley and Wayne Jackson the AFL has insidiously become an autocratic and totalitarian organisation who treat the grassroots supporters with contempt.
The introduction of soulless plastic teams, incessant and unnecessary rule changes, lack of transparency regarding officiating of the game, politicisation and social engineering shoved down our throats and now worst of all censorship of supporters; the AFL will determine what fans can and can’t say.
This is Orwellian control straight out of 1984.

I will always continue to buy my membership and keep our club thriving.
But for the first time in 40 odd years I feel disengaged and detached from footy.’
I have lost my desire to attend games and am barely motivated to even watch it on tv.
To the AFL and gestapo Gill I say a big *smile* you!!!!

SpaceAce said:
II am feeling utterly disillusioned with the way the competition is develoving.....yes DEVOLVING!!

To the AFL and gestapo Gill I say a big *smile* you!!!!

yes.

Its partly Gil's muscle memory because he develoves his polo pony so often,

its quite insidious how its crept into our game at the highest level.

agree entirely. *smile* you Gil.

we should keep this protest nice and simple.

"*smile* you Gil" clap clap clap "*smile* you Gil' clap clap clap.

se7en said:
Joffa has gone on strike in protest.

Yeah I heard him chanting

"what do we want? a +100 free differential and umpires with hair!, when do we want it? NOW"

maybe they want no barracking at all? be silent ... now there's a protest ..

se7en said:
Joffa has gone on strike in protest.

Good on him, using his profile and taking a leadership role in this debacle. There are players associations, coaches associations, umpire associations and, of course the AFL gestapo. But there is no real voice for the rank and file fan, without which the need for players/coaches/umpires associations would be redundant.

BrisTiger24 said:
Good on him, using his profile and taking a leadership role in this debacle. There are players associations, coaches associations, umpire associations and, of course the AFL gestapo. But there is no real voice for the rank and file fan, without which the need for players/coaches/umpires associations would be redundant.
Maybe one member of a cheer-squad from each team can get together and start there own association to represent us as fans.

That one can be the voice of that club and they can put up concerns ect..

Trout has joined Joffa in boycotting matches. Say what you want about them but they are the sort of supporters that will get media coverage in their boycott.

Baloo said:
Trout has joined Joffa in boycotting matches. Say what you want about them but they are the sort of supporters that will get media coverage in their boycott.
Could this work, instead of going to where the game is being played, e.g. MCG all supporters just go the there owns clubs ground, e.g. Punt Road Oval to watch the game, that way the club doesnt get punished and the AFL will look silly with empty stadiums.

tigerhalsey said:
Maybe one member of a cheer-squad from each team can get together and start there own association to represent us as fans.

That one can be the voice of that club and they can put up concerns ect..

There is already an AFL Fans association. From what I gather they are trying to engage with the AFL on this:
https://www.aflfans.org.au/

craig said:
How about no one turn up.

This. This needs to be it.

The TV cameras need to capture empty stands. Fans need to put pressure on the clubs, who in turn pressure the AFL for the loss of revenue.
If you want to protest, it HAS to be effective. It has to hurt, otherwise it's noise.

An online petition and organised activism could be the way to go.

IanG said:
There is already an AFL Fans association. From what I gather they are trying to engage with the AFL on this:
https://www.aflfans.org.au/
Wouldn't trust it. In all this sort of organisation, there is a trade off. By agreeing to certain things with the AFL, they AFL give them an acknowledged position of legitimacy and that equates to power.
I've been a part of some (three) supporter organisations for other professional sports. The same thing happened repeatedly.

The pattern was:
1. Fan wants to make a difference and organises a small group of like minded people
2. Small group reaches out to club/organisation with ideas/complaints
3. Club offers some low pain sweeteners to silence the complaints, and legitimises the group. (Classic negotiation by professional club employees - offer up low cost high value items to the group eg player access).
4. Group gets position of legitimacy and becomes full of its own self importance - attracts feedback from other supporters due to it's now authorised position with the club
5. Supporter group further compromised by the Club with sweeteners.
6. Supporter group ends up becoming a puppet, with veiled threats that to remain a legitimate attachment to the club, it has to act in certain ways. They eventually become ineffectual.

If this protest is going to have an impact, it needs to come from a mass of people and not from a group that can be negotiated with and told to go away.

Gotta be clear about why the AFL is wrong. They’re not telling you to stop barracking and cheering.

“The AFL's zero tolerance stance on vilification remains.

Stadiums and police across the country have a zero-tolerance for members or supporters that abuse the opposition, umpires and other members and supporters, on grounds of race, religion, gender, dis
ability and sexuality.”

They’re wrong because they’ve conflated any and all comments that aren’t positive with the above stance.

Green maggot is not hate speech.

AFL is taking the stance that no abuse of any kind is acceptable, whereas fans are arguing some general abuse is perfectly acceptable. It’s a tough stance for fans to take because on the surface, it’s hard to argue for more abuse. But drawing lines is better than putting out a prohibitive blanket ban on all non-positive comments.