New second ruck | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New second ruck

Who can we grab between now and round 1 as a second ruck to Nank. Lycett as a FA? It’s getting late to treads for one. Maybe Freos Liam Reidy, did ok at WAFL level this year, he’s a Melbourne boy. Anyone else?

Not Lycett please!!!!! He'd be an insurance liability, there must be other better options. Lycett has failed at 2 clubs, I definitely don't want him at the Tigers.

Reactions: 7 users
Not Lycett please!!!!! He'd be an insurance liability, there must be other better options. Lycett has failed at 2 clubs, I definitely don't want him at the Tigers.
I’m not saying he’s great but I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s “failed” at 2 clubs. 75 games at WC (and a flag) and 71 at Port. I think as an emergency ruck he’d be ok, as Darcy Fort is Brisbane and Andrew Phillips was at Essendon. Even if it’s just for 2024.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not saying he’s great but I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s “failed” at 2 clubs. 75 games at WC (and a flag) and 71 at Port. I think as an emergency ruck he’d be ok, as Darcy Fort is Brisbane and Andrew Phillips was at Essendon. Even if it’s just for 2024.
My concern with Lycett is his game to game availability.
Battered body. Injury prone.
We've seen in the laat 2 seasons he has struggled to be on the ground each week.

So when we need to call him up for insurance, what are the chances he is fit?
Pretty low i reckon.
He's not a moneyball insurance pick imo

Reactions: 4 users
It's time to put game time into Ryan. I wouldn't be wasting exposure on a stopgap unless Ryan is tired or injured. I'm pretty sure this is the club's position too, which is why Soldo was expendable.
Insurance stopgap will not to block Ryan's development.
The stopgap is #3 ruck.

So we have
#1 Nank
#2 Ryan
#3 Stopgap
#4 #5 development basketballers

Ryan gets opportunities whenever possible. He plays #1 ruck if needed for 1-3 matches in a row.

The stopgap would be called up if Nank is injured/suspended greater than 5 weeks.
When it becomes detrimental to ruck Ryan for 10 straight weeks.
So at best he gets 3-5 games. It suits a 26-30yo who is still fit and not injuryprone. And happy to be on the list and playing vfl.

Reactions: 7 users
It's time to put game time into Ryan. I wouldn't be wasting exposure on a stopgap unless Ryan is tired or injured. I'm pretty sure this is the club's position too, which is why Soldo was expendable.
Hope so Hut

The stopgap is #3 ruck.

So we have
#1 Nank
#2 Ryan
#3 Stopgap

Ryan gets opportunities whenever possible. He plays #1 ruck if needed for 1-3 matches in a row.

The stopgap would be called up if Nank is injured/suspended greater than 5 weeks.
So at best he gets 3-5 games. It suits a 26-30yo who is still fit and not injuryprone. And happy to be on the list and playing vfl.
Nice logic Dell

Have read tigers have interest in demons vfl listed ruck Charlie Muley number 49,yze likes what he sees.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I don't think Soldo was ever really a second ruck anyway. He was a first ruck. Miller, Kosi and Balta will continue to be our second ruck options. Can't go in with two dinosaurs anymore.

Question is whether we have enough Nank back up. If Nank goes down, can Samson carry the load? I think he can and can develop further. With Colina and the new basketballer as category B's, we can't rely on them at all.

Do we get an insurance premium like a Lycett or simply look to add an U18 ruck in the drafts? I am leaning toward the latter.
Trouble is that a u18 ruck will take 5 years minimum and 80% chance another club takes him afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Have read tigers have interest in demons vfl listed ruck Charlie Muley number 49,yze likes what he sees.
I read yesterday he signed to play with Beaconsfield. Things might be looking up for him.

Reactions: 1 user
I read yesterday he signed to play with Beaconsfield. Things might be looking up for him.
Correct...He has signed for the Mighty Beacy Football club and will play along side my young fella.

Look forward to seeing how he goes...big boy and only 20 years old still.

1697768091023.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We’ve kept both Category 2 rookies havent we? If we bring in a mature backup and everyone is fit, where are we going to play these two

Nank and Ryan firsts
Miller back up for emergency
Balta if required
2 developing in the 2s

i guess it depends on whether they see next year as a transition year or we can contend

There’s also Bryn Teakle who Port have also dumped. I’ve only seen him play his debut game and he was adequate.

There’s also Bryn Teakle who Port have also dumped. I’ve only seen him play his debut game and he was adequate.

This means stuff all, but FWIW, I played footy with his old man about 25 years ago. We were both young and not particularly close, but he was a great club man and a very nice bloke. The sort of guy who knew right from wrong and was a natural leader.

The stopgap is #3 ruck.

So we have
#1 Nank
#2 Ryan
#3 Stopgap

I like this line of thought.

The only thing I'd like to see changed is the #4 and #5 spots. I think we can only go with one Cat B type project in there. I'd rather see us bring in another young ruck prospect with a football background. But I think 6 would be too many, so one of the Cat B's makes way. And to me that is Mate. Been a keen observer from afar, but seen nothing to suggest he will make it.