New second ruck | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New second ruck

I reckon the cheapest you get Lycett for would be 400-450 - Naismith I reckon you could get for 150-200k plus match payments.

I reckon the cheapest you get Lycett for would be 400-450 - Naismith I reckon you could get for 150-200k plus match payments.
Depends on Lycett’s body. Up to 2022 he was definitely an afl standard ruck and a pretty decent one. But if his body is shot then there is no point

Reactions: 1 user
I'd rather save the dough and go with a cheap backup. If we lose Nank again we find out about Sampson. I dont think we are challenging next year either way.

I'd rather save the dough and go with a cheap backup. If we lose Nank again we find out about Sampson. I dont think we are challenging next year either way.

Same, if we have $$$ left over, just pay someone else more this year to save those $$$ next year

Reactions: 1 user
Thoughts on Naismith @Dyer'ere ? Feels like we hedged on Ryan.
I think our ruck stocks are soon enough to bottom out, @Scooper. As, not by coincidence, are we. Naismith is a flimsy defence against total ruck disaster.

We are about to pull the trigger on risk, risk, risk. Starting with the rucks. We are nowhere and nobody. Now is the time for a programme of risk. We've got nuthen to lose.

As for Samson, we punted Soldo (by omission) because we have to put the younger to the test and that means on and off for two years. I believe Samson is immature. He may come on quickly (unlikely) or he has to keep falling off and getting back on the horse. He was occasionally slow to get back on on 2023.

We have two CatB rookie rucks. Very good. And we may draft one this ND. Youth and risk. Very good. There's time BTW. No need to panic. We can take rucks as we see opportunity. It's not like we have much going forward, with the exception of Sampilands.

A lot of departments are low on stocks right now. Naismith will have to do. In the historically unlikely event he can get on the park he can put selection heat on Ryan. That would be something in itself. And given that Nank is a franked geriatric there is some chance he could stand in for our ancient and maimed warrior. But that's about as likely as the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope dying on the same day. (I took 1000/1 about that in 2023 - not looking good.)

If we take risks we can get both kinds of surprise. But at least we find out. Ryan has to ruck. That's why Soldo is gone.

Reactions: 2 users
With Nank and Soldo on the list this year we had 4 (5?) games where we had Ryan and Miller as our rucks.
If we dont recruit another ruck there is a good chance we go into multiple games with Miller/Balta/Kosi as our rucks.

I dont think recruiting a 3rd ruck means we dont back our 2nd ruck.
I hadn't considered Koschitzke, Brodders. Maybe that's his caper.

Naismith was a high quality AFL ruck.
Preferred to Nankervis before injuries struck.
Swans delisted him for one of two reasons.
1. They didn’t trust his knees and weren't prepared to take the risk taking him into another season.
2. He’s cooked.
We might just find out the answer, although If we’re prepared to take the risk, the answer is probably self explanatory.
Risk/reward or boom/bust?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Naismith was a high quality AFL ruck.
Preferred to Nankervis before injuries struck.
Swans delisted him for one of two reasons.
1. They didn’t trust his knees and weren't prepared to take the risk taking him into another season.
2. He’s cooked.
We might just find out the answer, although If we’re prepared to take the risk, the answer is probably self explanatory.
Risk/reward or boom/bust?
The depth of ruck stocks across the competition is the worst I can remember, the best guys all north of 30 with the exception of English & Darcy. Good rucks about to come in vogue, I think there's some ok prospects around our pick too, worth considering this year. We also need to get the talls in early, longer apprenticeships required and the aim is to get everyone clicking in unison.

Interesting times for Aussie rules.
My son plays football and basketball.
Football they have two jnr teams per club, but usually 1-2 players short of a full team on the field.
Basketball they aim for 7-8 players per team with 5 on the court. Some teams have 10+ players. They added two extra teams this season and some teams still have 9-10 players. Basketball struggling to keep up with the demand, specifically coaches who understand the game to help out with the juniors.
Soccer had a tryout session last week we went to. Kids everywhere. The Club needs to add a 3rd team to accommodate the kids coming in.
Great to see so many kids getting into sport, but jnr football not as popular as it use to be.

Reactions: 7 users
The depth of ruck stocks across the competition is the worst I can remember, the best guys all north of 30 with the exception of English & Darcy.
Does this perhaps mean a change in the national draft strategy this year? With 4 rucks touted to possibly be drafted within the first 40, it may add fuel to the fire for this change?

Does this perhaps mean a change in the national draft strategy this year? With 4 rucks touted to possibly be drafted within the first 40, it may add fuel to the fire for this change?
I think the general strategy of leaving rucks for the rookie draft might be past its use by date, I'd most certainly be considering a rethink and wouldn't be upset with using a pick around 30 on a ruck/forward or pure ruck.

Not our concern now we have Naismith but this story in the HUN re Lycetts retirement but they have the word “retired” in quotation marks:

LYCETT RETIREMENT TWIST

Port Adelaide ruckman Scott Lycett has “retired” as a premiership player as Victorian clubs still hold out hope he might find a way to Melbourne in a back-up role.
The Power on Monday thanked Lycett for his contribution after a five-year deal where his contract exceeded $650,000 a season.
Port Adelaide senior coach Ken Hinkley said Lycett had been an “incredible workhorse” despite battling with injuries over the past couple of seasons.
“Scott has been an outstanding contributor for two clubs across his 146 games, including as a premiership player at West Coast,” Hinkley said.
“He was an incredible workhorse for our club during the last five seasons and was totally focused on putting his teammates first.”

Is there some game afoot?

Not our concern now we have Naismith but this story in the HUN re Lycetts retirement but they have the word “retired” in quotation marks:

LYCETT RETIREMENT TWIST

Port Adelaide ruckman Scott Lycett has “retired” as a premiership player as Victorian clubs still hold out hope he might find a way to Melbourne in a back-up role.
The Power on Monday thanked Lycett for his contribution after a five-year deal where his contract exceeded $650,000 a season.
Port Adelaide senior coach Ken Hinkley said Lycett had been an “incredible workhorse” despite battling with injuries over the past couple of seasons.
“Scott has been an outstanding contributor for two clubs across his 146 games, including as a premiership player at West Coast,” Hinkley said.
“He was an incredible workhorse for our club during the last five seasons and was totally focused on putting his teammates first.”

Is there some game afoot?
i reckon they changed the rules after Mal Michaels swifty a while back (pretty early in the finals drought i reckon.) SO players cant retire then easily join another club.

Out of respect, I reckon they are probably using "retire" so they dont use the word "delist".

Reactions: 2 users
i reckon they changed the rules after Mal Michaels swifty a while back (pretty early in the finals drought i reckon.) SO players cant retire then easily join another club.

Out of respect, I reckon they are probably using "retire" so they dont use the word "delist".
They were screaming for a ruckman all yr and he couldn't stand up.
He is finished. When a ruckman has chronic knee issues see ya