Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
They won’t be dumping McKay. It’s those other over priced, mediocre players that they’ll be looking to dump. But as I say, who’s gonna want them or stump up anything of any value for them ? Doubt if there’ll be much interest. There’s no Grundy, Treloar or Mitchell amongst any of them. Carlton just might have to salary dump them for cheap return, chew it up, and move on.
I don't think they will get a bite on their average medium players. They might try and clean it up in one hit.

Of course you would, but you'd be laughed out of the building. Even for a salary dump you'd need to give a first and then some. But he won't be on the table. De Koning if he goes will ease cap pressure, McGovern's deal expires this year, as do those of Marchbank, Plowman, Newman and a few others.

Agree on their poor trading, except Marchbank. Bloke can play, just been cruelled by injuries.
It won't take a first if you are paying the bulk of the money. Look at the price of Grundy, Mitchell and Treloar.

Grundy is far more accomplished than McKay and he fetched pick 27.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Of course you would, but you'd be laughed out of the building. Even for a salary dump you'd need to give a first and then some. But he won't be on the table. De Koning if he goes will ease cap pressure, McGovern's deal expires this year, as do those of Marchbank, Plowman, Newman and a few others.

Agree on their poor trading, except Marchbank. Bloke can play, just been cruelled by injuries.
De Koning won’t provide much immediate cap relief. He extended for 2 years at the end of ‘20 so doubt there’s that much tied up in him. He’ll only provide future relief if the $600k plus per year numbers from other clubs are correct. They’ll get decent draft picks for him, but cap wise they have problems right now and I don’t think De Koning helps much in that respect.

Personally, I think he’s a big chance to go regardless. Most likely to those aholes down the highway.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think they will get a bite on their average medium players. They might try and clean it up in one hit.

It won't take a first if you are paying the bulk of the money. Look at the price of Grundy, Mitchell and Treloar.

Grundy is far more accomplished than McKay and he fetched pick 27.
Grundy's a ruckman. McKay's a Coleman Medallist. More valuable. But not on the table, so moot.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
De Koning won’t provide much immediate cap relief. He extended for 2 years at the end of ‘20 so doubt there’s that much tied up in him. He’ll only provide future relief if the $600k plus per year numbers from other clubs are correct. They’ll get decent draft picks for him, but cap wise they have problems right now and I don’t think De Koning helps much in that respect.

Personally, I think he’s a big chance to go. Most likely to those aholes down the highway.
No, I meant future relief.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Some interesting stuff to play out this year with a few clubs. Not just Carlton. Port Adelaide, WCE and GC especially, particularly where coach positions are concerned and the possible flow on effects of it to other clubs. Port key amongst them on that front.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Same is said about everyone before they are traded. Get in his ear. The Art of the deal.
I'd be all for it, but if Carlton traded him they'd be admitting they can't win a flag during his career. Fans would burn the joint down.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Chris Davies the Port Adelaide GM of footy, every man and his dog are saying he is coming to Melbourne for a job with a big club. And that he is ultra impressive and one of the most astute footballing minds on the landscape. Where is he going? Why is he so keen to get out of Port?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'd be all for it, but if Carlton traded him they'd be admitting they can't win a flag during his career. Fans would burn the joint down.
I reckon they are looking for a mini rest, McKay will be 26 at round 1 next year, can Calrton actually win a flag before he is 30 and starts to decline?

I don't see it. New coach at the end of the year now looking likely. List a shambles, maybe a 2-3 year list reset. Dunno man, I reckon it's a close call.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Chris Davies the Port Adelaide GM of footy, every man and his dog are saying he is coming to Melbourne for a job with a big club. And that he is ultra impressive and one of the most astute footballing minds on the landscape. Where is he going? Why is he so keen to get out of Port?
Essendon.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I reckon they are looking for a mini rest, McKay will be 25 at round 1 next year, can Calrton actually win a flag before he is 30 and starts to decline?

I don't see it. New coach at the end of the year now looking likely. List a shambles, maybe a 2-3 year list reset. Dunno man, I reckon it's a close call.
He turns 26 this December. Still, that's the age Jack turned in 2014. I'd love you to be right, but can't see it.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He turns 26 this December. Still, that's the age Jack turned in 2014. I'd love you to be right, but can't see it.
We got jittery with Jack around then. We almost did it without salary cap pressures. They need to do something, they are getting desperate.

It's a pipedream but I'm throwing it out there. Someone big will have to go at Carlton.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
2 elite forwards.
2elite mids.
3 top line attacking back flankers.
1 promising young ruck

Have i missed anybody?

It could be a good side but its still light on for top mids

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The rest are putrid.
I'd struggle to take any of them outside their top 5.
Maybe Hewitt if we didnt get T and H, but hewitt is a solid grunt only.
The rest wouldnt be worth crossing the street for

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Nah I don’t think Hollands, Cowan, Motlop and Durdin as kids are too bad. They’re not putrid. Only 19 to 21 y.o.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Nah I don’t think Hollands, Cowan, Motlop and Durdin as kids are too bad. They’re not putrid. Only 19 to 21 y.o.
Yeah I rated their draft last year, called it the best group of any club.

I was more talking their middle tier.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah I rated their draft last year, called it the best group of any club.

I was more talking their middle tier.
I reckon Motlop would be handy in our forward line. Bit of nip. Not bad defensively. Decent by foot. Think at just 19 he has a fair bit of upside. Poor bugger will get stifled at Carlton.