Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It would be interesting to get an insight to what the AFL players think of Clangerflop. On the surface he seems very much about self-promotion that would irk other players yet they have voted for him as the AFLPA spokesperson.
:rotfl1:rotfl1:rotfl1:rotfl120201030_122901.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Interesting how the media never mention Geelongs staging.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
True 123Kid. Dusty stuffs up and smiles about it because he knows he will stuff up every now and again. Everybody stuffs up, you can smile, move on and learn. Or you can put yourself under more pressure by trying to be absolutely perfect.

Danger isn't doing himself any favours there, he puts too much pressure on himself. Must have taken a lot of work to get Richmond players to accept stuffing up is part of the journey. As elite sports players they would be aiming for perfect but perfect does not exist, least of all in the pressured combative environment of Australian Rule Football.

DS
IMO, and it has been for a while, as well as being mentioned in the 3AW commentary, he tries to hard!!!! If you Watch the Pies game, he was on song, partly due........well totally due, to the Pies being witches hats. Watch the Brisvagas game, and he is clutching at everything trying to recapture the previous weeks form. It's just my take, but I bloody loved that he was the one Dusty smoked to kick his last...............anytime anyone wants to do a Danger/Dusty comparison...................que the tape!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep I looked closely at this last night and you’re right - it should never have been paid as a free kick
At worst there was incidental contact with Prestia arm touching Dangerdivers but that happens at pRobably hundreds of contests each game
Prestia did not appear to hold Diver and it was not a tackle

Sorry boys, you are both wrong. Happens after Prestia's goal at 15:04 remaining in Q4

Clear pull of the jumper, visible to the ump, impedes Dangers passage to the action. Clear free kick. No doubt players get away with this all the time, but if umps see the jumper stretch out they'll pay it.

Reactions: 4 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
still I do not consider him a great player. To be great, you are entitled to have a bad game in a final, but he has over 5 games, with 3 against the Tigers. No great player fails three times.

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Yep. Let’s compare Dusty and Danger on GF day when they perform a successful action and when they make a mistake.

This will be open for interpretation of course, and it’s always troublesome to comment on what might be going on inside someone else’s mind, but I think it’s interesting nonetheless

Success:

Both Dusty and Danger kicked a goal in the 2nd quarter. Their post-goal reactions were night and day. Danger doesn’t smile or show any positive emotion whatsoever; he looks entrenched in the mentality that his actions mean nothing unless they end up with the final result.

Dusty‘s natural reaction in the moment looked immediately mindful of his teammates’ emotions and belief levels at that point in time. (and this might be confirmation bias, but to me it looks like he’s doing it for the love of his teammates)

You can make your own interpretation of their post-goal reactions.

Mistakes:

Both players made embarrassing mistakes. Their reaction afterwards were night and day.

After Dusty’s banana floater, you can see him flash a smile to Jack (?) and it looks like he’s making a joke about himself. I think you can see the calmness under the smile, and there isn’t a hint of false bravado about it, but I’ll let others decide that for themselves.

After Danger messes up, it’s classic false bravado. It’s up for interpretation of course, but I think intuitively you can see his mind is at sea underneath in the moment and history suggests it changes the way he plays in the moments afterwards. However you’d like to describe it - it’s very different to Dusty’s reaction.

My interpretation is most elite athletes put enormous pressure on themselves to deliver a required outcome, and in this case, Danger contributed to bringing additional pressure upon himself by publicly hinging everything on the outcome in the media during the lead-up.

Richmond’s success has been built on many different things, one of them being a mountain of work to mitigate this omnipresent performance reducer that exists for everyone. Pressure affects everyone, but it affects us less.

The first thing I can learn from watching this club is you control what you can control. You can’t directly control a future outcome such as winning a premiership. But you can control the moments that lead up to and influence that outcome. So control those moments.

We either let a future outcome dictate to the mind (Danger), or we train the mind to dictate to the moment (Dusty).

The lesson outside football is don’t let your mind live in the future. Be like Dusty, instead!

But however you want to describe it, there was a huge difference in thinking between Richmond and Geelong on Saturday, and the result of that fluffy abstract stuff was on full display in the night and day performance gap between each team’s best player.
Well written mate

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
His core strength is crazy. He just kind of stands on the spot and sheds tackles sometimes. Even without the don’t argue.

I still think the best one was in last year's Preliminary Final, he was on the ground with a few other players and ripped the ball out while standing up and then fired a pass off to a team-mate. Unbelievable.

Antman, yes, maybe a bit of jumper there, but Danger is also grabbing the Richmond player and if they paid all of these then maybe, just maybe, they could take the asterisk away from the Holding the Man rule which they pay about 10% of the time. Look at how careful the players are in old games when they actually paid this. Pay it always or remove it from the rule book, this inconsistency kills the game.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I still think the best one was in last year's Preliminary Final, he was on the ground with a few other players and ripped the ball out while standing up and then fired a pass off to a team-mate. Unbelievable.

Antman, yes, maybe a bit of jumper there, but Danger is also grabbing the Richmond player and if they paid all of these then maybe, just maybe, they could take the asterisk away from the Holding the Man rule which they pay about 10% of the time. Look at how careful the players are in old games when they actually paid this. Pay it always or remove it from the rule book, this inconsistency kills the game.

DS

Sorry DS but no, he's not grabbing the Richmond player. And there is no maybe a bit of jumper about it. Go and watch the video again from the bounce at 15:07. I'll say it again, any time an ump sees a jumper stretch out, you are gone.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
still I do not consider him a great player. To be great, you are entitled to have a bad game in a final, but he has over 5 games, with 3 against the Tigers. No great player fails three times.
Bet Leigh Matthews would be insulted being compared to the showpony.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Sorry DS but no, he's not grabbing the Richmond player. And there is no maybe a bit of jumper about it. Go and watch the video again from the bounce at 15:07. I'll say it again, any time an ump sees a jumper stretch out, you are gone.

Surely you jest, any time they see some jumper they pay a free.

Maybe I should search for game pics, I'm sure there are plenty.

DS

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Great discussion, guys. I find myself agreeing with many of the points made regarding both Mr Finals and Mr Not Quite There.

In my experience, Dusty is a very instinctive player and he has always been thus. He is much more ”see ball, get ball” than the majority of footballers at this level. In the age of structures, starting positions, systems and game plans, he is different. His mind is always clear, he doesn’t overthink, his body works on muscle memory. He knows where the goals are, he repeats plays that work over and over. How many goals has he kicked when tucked deep in the pocket where he kicked his stunning goal at the death on Saturday? He kicked the same goal in last year’s Grand Final when Rioli gave him a little hand pass. How many has he kicked from the opposite pocket? How often does he run to dead in front and dribbles a kick across his body? It is all instinct. Richo says it is also hard work and repetition and that resonates too. Either way, clear mind, always. There is nothing instinctive about the way Dangerfield plays.

The second thing that sets him apart is the fend off. He uses it to create space for himself. It is not an “either/or” move. He is not trying to set his opponent on his bum. That is just a bonus. He pushes his opponent in one direction and immediately moves in another. Watch him closely, his left arm pushes his opponent further to the left and his legs propel him to the right immediately after contact. Or vice versa. A would-be tackler is in his grill, about to grab him, then they are a metre apart, one going left, the other going right. How did that happen? He takes space. Dangerfield tries to out run, out jump and break tackles. Dusty does not care for these things, he just takes space. Space is like gold in this game.

Thirdly, as pointed out by just about every one, Dusty stays on his feet, Dangerfield doesn’t. GAJ stayed on his feet, Leigh Matthews too, Hird, Judd, Ricciuto, Carey, Buckley, all the same. You rarely saw any of them on the ground.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Sorry boys, you are both wrong. Happens after Prestia's goal at 15:04 remaining in Q4

Clear pull of the jumper, visible to the ump, impedes Dangers passage to the action. Clear free kick. No doubt players get away with this all the time, but if umps see the jumper stretch out they'll pay it.
Yeah, I dunno, I’m very impartial but all I see is Blicavs getting Nank over the shoulder.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Contrarian photographic evidence? Probably photoshopped

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Surely you jest, any time they see some jumper they pay a free.

Maybe I should search for game pics, I'm sure there are plenty.

DS

Point is, jumper pulled, ump saw it, free kick, contrary to what Zips et al said - that he wasn't being held. He was.

If you want another discussion about the merit of these as free kicks, what umps see or don't see, etc etc, be my guest. Was just making it clear why DF got the free in that instance.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Dusting off Danger

Attachments

• 416B6CB4-C22C-437E-AB59-B1CA1F7D8532.jpeg
    416B6CB4-C22C-437E-AB59-B1CA1F7D8532.jpeg
    771.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I see it differently, Diverfield has obviously been watching Dusty, and has clearly tried to execute a don't argue, and what a pathetic attempt it was.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Whoops!
You‘re right. I watched the vision on TV but didn’t notice the jumper pull.
Good pickup Ant

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Never liked Danger too much all about him. Probably scrapes into a top 5 in the league player but certainly not a real team player. I will never forget last year's Brownlow count him and Kelly both had that whiff of pissed off when each other were getting the votes. Hes got the tiger monkey on his back failed dismally in 3 finals against us which will dint his legacy for sure. MR ME ME ME!