Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Nathan brown tried to defend It by saying that diverfield was protecting himself. He raised his elbow!!! If I was trying to protect myself I would be tucking my arm in to brace myself for the unavoidable collision, not raising my arm to leave my ribs exposed

A fair while ago Ken Hinkley did exactly the same thing to Tony Hall. But in that instance

a) Hall was going to shirt front Hinkley with no thought of going for the ball and hammer him out of the game; and
b) Hinkley's was clearly a reflex action to raise the elbow.

Hinkley still got weeks for it, and that was back when the head was not sacrosant.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Dangerfield did himself a disservice last night and enhanced his reputation for all the wrong reasons.

I looked through supporter forums from other clubs including the Crows, Pies, Port and Hawks fans, and man did they all roast him, even the Cats fans were roasting him for staying forward when the Tigers were on top in the middle.

His flopping and diving and strutting and posturing along with his ability to go missing when his team needs him compared to Dusty was all over the forums.

His reputation in the media by the look of what I read last night does not match his reputation according to the way footy fans view him.

Dangerflop, Dangerflog, Dangermouse, Diverfield, Flounderfield, Clangerfield, were all names he was being called by fans.

Not agood night for him on numerous fronts.

Congratulations to the Great Gary Ablett Junior (a true champion of the game) and Harry Taylor on their fine careers and service to the Geelong Football Club and the game.

Dangerfield well ....seems like he is heading the opposite direction with the fans opposed to his two celebrated team mates who bowed out last night after wonderful and successful careers.

Reactions: 10 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Dangerfield is a Mercedes Benz in a Grand Prix. Classy but not up to the speed or intensity against real performers

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Time someone put together a comparison video of Soldo's hit which got him suspended (where the Hawthorn player ran at him as he went to run back to the middle for the centre bounce) and Dangerfield's whack on Vlastuin which was clearly deliberate and sent a player off the ground. Clearly Dangerfield should get more weeks.

As Craig said, Gazza was gutsy, but Houli deserves at least the same plaudits. Houli gets little mention but Gazza gets worship, go figure, who cares, Houli got the premiership medal.

Taylor was good, he should be held up at Geelong as the sort of player they need in the future.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Time someone put together a comparison video of Soldo's hit which got him suspended (where the Hawthorn player ran at him as he went to run back to the middle for the centre bounce) and Dangerfield's whack on Vlastuin which was clearly deliberate and sent a player off the ground. Clearly Dangerfield should get more weeks.

As Craig said, Gazza was gutsy, but Houli deserves at least the same plaudits. Houli gets little mention but Gazza gets worship, go figure, who cares, Houli got the premiership medal.

Taylor was good, he should be held up at Geelong as the sort of player they need in the future.

DS
It was definitely deliberate. Sure his arm was up as he punched the ball, but for it to knock out a very tough bloke like Vloss required it to be incredibly stiff & following through.. If he punched the ball and contact was accidental, his arm would have been relatively floppy.

The only reason you could say it was not deliberate is to basically admit that Danger is soft as butter. Instead of taking the contact coming towards him, he used his forearm & elbow with no respect to his opponents safety to ensure he incurred little to no contact while his opponent risked very serious injury. If he let it stay floppy as he punched the ball & took the contact front on as per a normal collision - both players would have gotten up - sore, but fine. Instead he defended himself first at serious risk to his opponents safety. Really really poor act, Dangers place in the game has been severely damaged by his performance in this match. Soft physically & mentally. Goes missing in key moments. It's his burden to carry now.

Either way, all the responsibility lies on him and he should serve several weeks.

Reactions: 4 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Add to that when Gaz went off after Vlastuin was knocked out you wouldn't have even known we had a player down for 2mins, camera never even showed him. I actually thought he'd got up and was ok at one point due to complete lack of coverage. Could have at the very least put up a split screen so our supporters knew what was going on. Vlastuin wasn't even mentioned until Gary had made his way off the ground.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
When Prestia got him in the third? quareter, he went through with the elbow up as well.

I honestly dont think its as much about hurting the opponent, but a result of him being found out as being very soft when it comes to "fair, hard contact". He will risk his opponents safety to ensure he does not cop, fair, hard hits. Pretty cowardly & his reputation is mud.

Listening and reading inbetween the lines of Scotts presser, when asked why Paddy didnt go in the middle sooner he says something along the lines of "we spoke to Danger about the situation and decided to keep him forward of the ball during the 3rd. In the 4th we moved him in there". Essentially it reads like Scott asked him & Paddy was happy to stay down forward than avoid going into the heat of battle when it mattered most. In the 4th Scott moved him in there on his own accord.

He is found out. A comment on even the incredibly soft, neutral AFL website reporting is quite scathing by its usual standards

"Why wasn't anyone willing to bring it upon themselves to halt the Tigers' momentum? Where was Patrick Dangerfield at crucial centre bounces rather than anchored to the goalsquare as the Tigers got a run-on?"

I think Paddy could be another victim of the Tiger mauliung.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Danger is still looking stunned and has no idea.

He is not a leader, to go missing two years in a row when the heat is applied says he lacks it
He is not an elite player - he doesn’t have elite skill that stands up under pressure
He is not a champion - he can’t play the crucial or big moments

So what is he, well
He is a diver
He is a flopper
He is a flat track bully
He is now a sniper which is the saddest of all

So the sooner the press get the hell out of his undies the better cause I am over it

Reactions: 11 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I honestly dont think its as much about hurting the opponent, but a result of him being found out as being very soft when it comes to "fair, hard contact". He will risk his opponents safety to ensure he does not cop, fair, hard hits. Pretty cowardly & his reputation is mud.

Listening and reading inbetween the lines of Scotts presser, when asked why Paddy didnt go in the middle sooner he says something along the lines of "we spoke to Danger about the situation and decided to keep him forward of the ball during the 3rd. In the 4th we moved him in there". Essentially it reads like Scott asked him & Paddy was happy to stay down forward than avoid going into the heat of battle when it mattered most. In the 4th Scott moved him in there on his own accord.

He is found out. A comment on even the incredibly soft, neutral AFL website reporting is quite scathing by its usual standards

"Why wasn't anyone willing to bring it upon themselves to halt the Tigers' momentum? Where was Patrick Dangerfield at crucial centre bounces rather than anchored to the goalsquare as the Tigers got a run-on?"

I think Paddy could be another victim of the Tiger mauliung.

Yeah I heard that from Scott and thought it was an awful decision. Maybe if he was tearing Grimes a new one and they just need to get the ball down there, then maybe I'd agree that it was the best decision, but Grimes completely nullified him.

When the games to be won, you turn to your best players to try to pull their team through. Dusty stepped up fro us when we needed him, got the goal just before half time, kicked the goal in the 3rd that got us in front. Also was instrumental in the miss by Edwards that should have put us more than a goal up at 3 quarter time, the win of the ball in the middle, the smart kick forward out of reach of Blicavs trusting that our smalls would be all over him, they turn the ball over, Edwards should have kicked the goal.

What was Danger doing? He should be demanding that he goes to the area they needed him the most, not hiding in the forward line, staging for free kicks.

Agree he should get weeks too, but as we all know this will be brushed aside.

Reactions: 2 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Christian has looked at the incident. $3000 fine for Vlaustin for exaggerating the effects of unavoidable low impact to the head.
And allow the peasants from Corio to burn the rest of his house down for making Christian have to work on a Sunday

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Numbers don’t lie Compare his numbers in the big game versus his two year average (The dot ). Check out dusty in the gf too CF9D8E84-B931-4A88-93C7-74ADBFCD67EB.jpegE9830D40-CC40-41AB-970C-54833DE73060.jpegB525344C-5A55-45F9-972D-167E6E98F4B2.jpeg

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Not that it matters but here's my take.
I think Padme had a split second to at least attempt to lower the elbow.
I think he realised he had to lower it.
But chose to defend himself instead.
His brain told him to leave it up.
So he did.
Does that make sense?

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Any time a player goes with the arm high they have to know they’re opening themselves up to scrutiny and punishment. He’s not all that smart, Paddy.

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005

DS
I was thinking the same but the difference was Soldo's was off the ball. Danger did touch the ball so I think he'll get off. We'll all remember the act and hopefully we get to pay it back with interest at some stage (physically - we already got him mentally).