Paddy Naish - where is he at? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Naish - where is he at?

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
the missed tackle ... happened at a crucial time and was a lame effort. it was sloppy.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
When he went to handball to the player in the goal square and realised it was George and then decided to kick it himself.
smart operator the kid

Reactions: 3 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
the missed tackle ... happened at a crucial time and was a lame effort. it was sloppy.
Yes it was horrible to watch. Certainly not defending the poor tackle but he hasn't played many AFL games this year and was probably fatigued. He would be feeling crappy about it today but hopefully he learns from it when the tape us shown to him. Build tank, work hard to make sure it doesn't happen again. Over to the coaches to do some coaching here.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
As funny as it sounds , watching PN in the VFL last week , thought he was very good , however imho he looked very much “VFL” . Last night I thought he worked hard , did some nice things , attacked the ball reasonably well , in no defence of his poor missed tackle, however I truly believe our tackling is our barometer and we were insipid in this area again, not just Naish , but most in the Yellow and Black as it has been in many games this season , it’s that 1% attitude thing that’s missing , the skip try’s to set the example but his body is a wet band aid away from falling apart

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think Paddy may be one of those players who is better than VFL, but not quite good enough for AFL.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Apart from the missed tackle, I thought Paddy was ok. I don't know what his gps reading was, but he appeared to cover plenty of ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yes it was horrible to watch. Certainly not defending the poor tackle but he hasn't played many AFL games this year and was probably fatigued. He would be feeling crappy about it today but hopefully he learns from it when the tape us shown to him. Build tank, work hard to make sure it doesn't happen again. Over to the coaches to do some coaching here.
Llke he was fatigued when chasing the lions player who made him look silly and kicked a goal? If Paddy doesn't have a tank now its not really a great sign.

The kid has played as an outside player for how many years? How many junior wingers come to AFL without a tank? What's one attribute that all wingers share? An elite tank. He was drafted Oct 2017? So he's had 3 plus years in an elite fitness program. I assume he has been training with us before then and had access to expert fitness advice/resources? The one thing he should have is a tank. He doesn't appear to have an AFL one.

Can you see him becoming an Issac Smith/Brad Hill/Mitch Duncan/Gaff? Or a McLuggage? Zac Bailey was a similar profile in his draft year but is light years ahead of him.

Who will he become - a Seb Ross? Blake Acres? Travis Collyer?

As an example, Brad Hill was drafted at Pick 33 by the Hawks in 2011 (Naish was pick 34 in 2017). In 2014 Hill played 22 games and ave 20+ disp. In 2015 24 games and 20 disp.

I don't think it is unfair to expect after 3 1/2 years in the system we are seeing something more from Naish.

Reactions: 2 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Corey Ellis MKII. Nuff said. Will never make it. Is another nothing player which we seem to have in spades atm. Ross, Aarts, RCD, Garthwaite, Chol and the list clogging goes on

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
I don't think it is unfair to expect after 3 1/2 years in the system we are seeing something more from Naish.
I agree that he should have delivered more by now, but my point was that due to playing so few AFL games he's likely to tire late in a game more than a seasoned player. I'm not defending this just stating it as a reason. I thought his game (apart from that missed costly tackle) wasn't too bad. I hope he can learn from this and improve.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He needs a big preseason in the gym. His body is nowhere near at the size required for an AFL footballer.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I reckon Paddy's done some good things at times. A few on the weekend. A decent game against GWS.

But he's not getting the pill. 20 and 19 touches in his first two games in an undermanned team two years ago. Racks it up in the magoos. But:
9 disposals v GWS last year.
15, 10, 12, 10 in his full games this year.

Keep him in for now.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon Paddy's done some good things at times. A few on the weekend. A decent game against GWS.

But he's not getting the pill. 20 and 19 touches in his first two games in an undermanned team two years ago. Racks it up in the magoos. But:
9 disposals v GWS last year.
15, 10, 12, 10 in his full games this year.

Keep him in for now.

Nail on the head. Trying defensively, couple of super improved efforts the last few weeks but not getting involved without the ball.

So, tells me he still doesn't have a tank, can't run both ways hard. After this amount of time, major concern. In the departure lounge. Wouldn't be shocked to hear a one year deal all the same.

< AFWL | Sheeds >