Paddy Naish - where is he at? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Naish - where is he at?

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
SCOOP said:
Bingo. What skinny kid walks in and is defensively sound? Give me kids that can find the ball and are smart with it. The rest can be taught as they get fitter. And gets 20 touches in a side that got flogged.
Yes, he now realises how much quicker everything is at the higher level. We need to get games into these youngsters so they go back to the two's with more confidence to take the game on and improve more quickly.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Gee some pretty harsh assessments on a guy playing first game.

Assessing things on a sample size of one is something the AFL does.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Tigermad2005 said:
Lots to work with.
He not the first player to get caught unawares I recall dusty doing the same only 3 weeks ago.
Give the kid a break.

Dusty is strong and fast, and always has been. He wasn't getting caught due to physical limitations that have always been present.

Naish's natural game looks great. The concern is because he was drafted with some physical limitations (slow/skinny as an outside midfielder), so we want to see that his skillset can translate into the AFL environment. So far, his physical limitations have indeed limited his natural game, much like Corey Ellis early on. I'll be looking for signs he can run, chase, and cut teams up with his kicking.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
spook said:
I am the definitive Short non-fan and I agree with lamby. Naish was poor defensively. Poor in the contest. Lagged on defensive transition. That's what he is right now. He didn't kick the ball particularly well (less time than in the VFA). He was shockingly unaware/complacent when Rohan nabbed him (burnt a teammate in the clear 10m ahead). He missed a spoil on the wing, didn't lay a glove on the Cat, much less a knee in the ribs, ran past and let his man play on.

He can get a kick. He has a future. Maybe even as soon as next year.
What a wank of a review for a debut , perhaps hold your scorn for some of those 50game plus who can barely scrape 10p together

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
spook said:
I am the definitive Short non-fan and I agree with lamby. Naish was poor defensively. Poor in the contest. Lagged on defensive transition. That's what he is right now. He didn't kick the ball particularly well (less time than in the VFA). He was shockingly unaware/complacent when Rohan nabbed him (burnt a teammate in the clear 10m ahead). He missed a spoil on the wing, didn't lay a glove on the Cat, much less a knee in the ribs, ran past and let his man play on.

Good summary. The player on wing was blizacs and Naish needed to contact his body but chose to avoid it. Stack would have crashed him.

He would have learnt heaps from the experience.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
spook said:

Honestly Spooker? Menadue has played many worse games than Paddy's first. If only you critiqued him as harshly. :-\
Only way he gets better is to play snr footy. Was a solid (if imperfect) start.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
Good summary. The player on wing was blizacs and Naish needed to contact his body but chose to avoid it. Stack would have crashed him.

He would have learnt heaps from the experience.

The obsession with Stacks toughness on here is getting warped.

Yep he's tough, but he of tough distinction also pulled up at a few contests on Friday night or is that passed over because he has brownie points?

I just put it down to young body thrown into AFL level starting to wear.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
blx said:
The obsession with Stacks toughness on here is getting warped.

Yep he's tough, but he of tough distinction also pulled up at a few contests on Friday night or is that passed over because he has brownie points?

I just put it down to young body thrown into AFL level starting to wear.

Stack got one in the cods early that had him off colour for quite a while. He would never have done what Naish did. Naish likely would have got hurt but you must make a contest in that situation.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
spook said:

You're harsh Spook. Agree he could have lowered the eyes sometimes but definitely not terrible use. As for getting caught by Rohan - watch it again and see where Naish runs past Soldo looking for him to shepherd and Soldo didn't. It was Soldo's fault. Was actually smart play by Naish but it didn't come off. We have a player here. This experience will be fantastic for his development. Needs to play again this week.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Bloody oath he needs to play. If they drop him for ellis I will spew up.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
The Mole said:
You're harsh Spook. Agree he could have lowered the eyes sometimes but definitely not terrible use. As for getting caught by Rohan - watch it again and see where Naish runs past Soldo looking for him to shepherd and Soldo didn't. It was Soldo's fault. Was actually smart play by Naish but it didn't come off. We have a player here. This experience will be fantastic for his development. Needs to play again this week.

This is spot on. Soldo was pathetic there. I remember yelling at the time “shepherd!” and Soldo just whiffed.

On Naish, I think we have a player, just depends where he is used. Think he’s a wingman not a HBF.

E

easy_tiger

thought young Naishy was close to BOG in the first quarter.

was spent by half time. But he's a kid playing prematurely.

great signs.

very worrying signs for spook on the Menadue/Naishy scales IMHOINI

< AFWL | Sheeds >