Palestine and Israel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Palestine and Israel

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Iran missile and drone attack on Israel – what we know so far
Jonathan Yerushalmy
Sun 14 Apr 2024 11.35 AEST

Iran has launched hundreds of drones as well as cruise missiles towards Israel, the Islamic Republic’s first ever direct attack on the Jewish state in response to the 1 April strike on an Iranian diplomatic building in the Syrian capital of Damascus which killed a senior figure in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards, and eight other officers.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corp has said that it launched ballistic missiles at “specific targets” in Israel as part of what it called “Operation True Promise”.
The first wave reached Israel at around 2am local time (midnight BST), with sirens blaring across the country and explosions visible and audible in the sky in several places. Commercial capital Tel Aviv, the disputed city of Jerusalem, and Dimona, the desert city home to Israel’s nuclear plant, all appeared to have been targeted.

Iran launches drone and missile strike against Israel as Biden rushes back to White House

Iranian strikes caused “minor damage” to an Israeli base, army spokesperson Daniel Hagari said Sunday, after Iran’s state media reported “heavy blows” to the base from its missiles. “Only a few missiles fell in the territory of the state of Israel with slight damage to a military base in the south, with only slight damage to the infrastructure,” Hagari said in a statement.

Most of the missiles launched by Iran were intercepted outside Israel’s borders, while a limited number fell inside the country’s territory, IDF spokesperson Avichay Adraee has said. He said that the total number of aerial units launched from Iran was about 200 and there were reports that one child had been injured

US president Joe Biden said Iran was aided by its proxy forces in Yemen, Syria and Iraq. He praised the work of US military personnel in helping to bring down “nearly all” of the drones and missiles fired by Iran. Biden cut short a weekend stay at his Delaware beach house to return to the White House to meet his national security team. He has said he will convened a meeting of G7 leaders on Sunday.
The US and UK reportedly helped Israel shoot down Iranian drones over Jordan, Iraq and Syria in an effort to blunt the attack and prevent an uncontrollable escalation. “US forces in the region continue to shoot down Iranian-launched drones targeting Israel,” a senior US defence official told reporters.
Royal Air Force fighter jets and refuelling aircraft were also involved, taking off from bases in Cyprus. Their role, according to the UK Ministry of Defence, was to fill in for the US air force in the sorties against the Islamic State normally carried out over Iraq and north-eastern Syria, but also to intercept Iranian drones if they came into the UK area of operations.

Reuters quoted two regional security sources as saying Jordanian jets had downed dozens of Iranian drones flying across northern and central Jordan heading towards Israel.

World leaders have condemned Iran’s attack with regional powers including Saudi Arabia and Egypt called for restraint. UN secretary general António Guterres said: “I am deeply alarmed about the very real danger of a devastating region-wide escalation. I urge all parties to exercise maximum restraint to avoid any action that could lead to major military confrontations on multiple fronts in the Middle East.”
The UN security council will hold an emergency meeting on Sunday, at the request of Israel’s ambassador to the UN, the council’s president said in a statement to media

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Meanwhile Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah are all upstanding citizens of the world.

Always following the Geneva Convention. The rules of war, respecting civilians, not committing atrocities, not using sexualised violence.etc etc. they’re just a bit misunderstood.

It might be time for you to look from over your side of the fence David.
Snoop Jim Carrey GIF by Laff

Not only can you not understand nuance, you now equate pointing out US hypocrisy and the need for a fair dinkum settlement of the Palestine/Israel conflict as somehow supporting Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah. Are you really this stupid or is this just posturing?

Iran attacking Israel directly is certainly a worry. But both Iran and Israel are run by RWNJs so I don't expect much else. Both governments are using the conflict to reinforce their hold on power, Israel's government was very unpopular before October 7 and the Iranian government has been under pressure for a long time and are using this conflict to suppress domestic opposition.

DS

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Not only can you not understand nuance, you now equate pointing out US hypocrisy and the need for a fair dinkum settlement of the Palestine/Israel conflict as somehow supporting Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah. Are you really this stupid or is this just posturing?

Iran attacking Israel directly is certainly a worry. But both Iran and Israel are run by RWNJs so I don't expect much else. Both governments are using the conflict to reinforce their hold on power, Israel's government was very unpopular before October 7 and the Iranian government has been under pressure for a long time and are using this conflict to suppress domestic opposition.

DS
One thing I read about Iran's attack, David, is that they directed the attacked the airbase from where the plane that blew up their embassy was stationed.

Civilians weren't targeted and no synagogue, school, hospital etc were targeted, just the airbase.

Quite the difference when compared to the wholesale massacring of Palestinians.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Not only can you not understand nuance,
I couldn’t give a stuff if you or think I know nuance or not :LOL:
you now equate pointing out US hypocrisy and the need for a fair dinkum settlement of the Palestine/Israel conflict as somehow supporting Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah. Are you really this stupid or is this just posturing?
Now now, no need to get narky. I was just pointing out the same with Israel’s opponents in this conflict. You’ve got an unhealthy imagination or are schizophrenic about what you read. Well I may be stupid, that’s objective. Not posturing at all. It seems like the Pro Pally brigade can post whatever they like, when it’s reciprocated you want to throw a tantrum
Iran attacking Israel directly is certainly a worry. But both Iran and Israel are run by RWNJs so I don't expect much else.
Yeah they need some LWNJs in to balance it out. Don’t know if it would change Israel’s defence policy.
More statesmen throughout the Middle East would be a pipe dream. But it’s what’s needed
Both governments are using the conflict to reinforce their hold on power, Israel's government was very unpopular before October 7 and the Iranian government has been under pressure for a long time and are using this conflict to suppress domestic opposition.
Well all we can hope for is people say “enough”. At least Israel will have democratic elections and a good decent government can come to power.
Unfortunately, Iran doesn’t have that political setup. And if the Palestinians one day have an election, who knows what they’ll get as their ruling authority.
There’s still a long way to go and a lot still may happen. Will cool heads prevail or tit for tat to preserve face.
I won’t be holding my breathe.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Did Israel think Iran wouldn’t retaliate?

Yep it's gonna erupt.

It's gonna get real messy over there.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
One thing I read about Iran's attack, David, is that they directed the attacked the airbase from where the plane that blew up their embassy was stationed.

Civilians weren't targeted and no synagogue, school, hospital etc were targeted, just the airbase.

Quite the difference when compared to the wholesale massacring of Palestinians.
Pretty sure them Israelis don't hid their airbases under hospitals or behind women and children's skirts. Only a minor difference K3.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Pretty sure them Israelis don't hid their airbases under hospitals or behind women and children's skirts. Only a minor difference K3.
Hamas had tunnels everywhere.

Blowing up hospitals, schools etc did nothing to destroy any "airbases". It just killed thousands of innocent civilians and directly showed the world why what the Israeli State is doing is genocide.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Did Israel think Iran wouldn’t retaliate?

Yep it's gonna erupt.

It's gonna get real messy over there.
Did Iran think Israel wouldn’t do a preemptive strike on those leaders directing Hezbollah and Hamas?
Just ignoring any world convention and using another country to arm, direct and plan more attacks.
Lets get real, they were army generals plotting more terror.
Does Iran think that’s the end of it? On and on it goes
As I said before it’s just going to be tit for tat.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Great title. LWNJ media at it again. This fella is living in an alternate universe. Saying what should happen, no *smile* but all sides need to be prepared to do it. Unfortunately it’s gone past that now.

Those who say it’s just about land may need to reassess their thoughts.
When Iran is involved it becomes about religion and people, with their genocidal intentions and continual jihad against Israel nothing is more surer.
They want the total destruction of the State.

Their support of arms, munitions, money and doctrine has nothing to do with the Palestinian cause. Thats just a tool to get more proxy terror recruits on board and to use them for their own purpose.
The rights of Palestinians. Big joke, they don’t even want their own fellow moderate Iranians to have an6 rights. They’re a theocracy. The mad Mullahs preach hate, death and destruction of Israel. Not “land for our brothers”.

Look up the history of war, treachery and hate between Shia and Sunni.
Iran are Shia, Palestinians are Sunni. Once group is being used as a pawn.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Geez I'm sorry I dipped my toe in this cesspool again, my bad...

Have fun guys..

EDIT: putting the thread on ignore so I won't be tempted by the obvious rage bait

Last edited:

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
You won’t get any sense out of them TM. They’ll just twist your words to suit their own agenda
This guy thinks there are hidden airbases in Gaza.
See what I mean.

And they say I don’t do “nuance” very well. :giggle: That maybe so.

But at least I’m not a *smile* who pretends to be ignorant and dense in a weak effort to downplay someone’s post. Especially when they get the real gist of it.
Talk about making yourself look dumb. But some do it so well, they’re experts. :cool:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think the point being made on the Iranian attack is that (rightly or wrongly) it is being justified as a response to the Israeli attack on their embassy. Therefore the response is aimed at where that attack originated not at civilian targets.

In terms of tunnels Hamas had/has tunnels everywhere for pretty obvious reasons i.e. as a way of hiding from missile and airstrikes. I know a couple of doctors who worked in hospitals in Gaza and they have never seen any evidence that there were tunnels underneath but that doesn't mean they weren't there or at other hospitals. Any Hamas tunnel places innocent civilians at risk. I would add that there is noone acting as an apologist for Hamas or Iran on here, just stating support for Palestinian self determination. I wish Hamas would just *smile* off so that actual issue could be dealt with better.

One thing we need to be clear on is whilst Iran now funds and arms Hamas and Hezbollah neither was created by Iran. That support came later (and I wish it hadn't) but Hamas was created because of the Palestinian issue and Hezbollah following the Israeli attack on Lebanon in the 1980s and its attempt to create a compliant government at the time amongst the chaos in that country. The Lebanese people themselves would love Hezbollah to disappear as their country has been turned from an oasis in the middle east into a basket case by political factions and corruption, foreign interference from Iran, Syria and Israel ( and probably others) and lately from a massive influx of enormous numbers of refugees from the Syrian conflict. The last thing they want is a war with Israel in their north, but they are helpless to change it. I went to Beirut many years ago when it was known as the "Paris of the Middle east", it was awesome.

Reactions: 1 user

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
will this escalate to the point it drags the rest of the world (or other parts of the world ) in ?

the Russia/Ukraine war had that feeling , that has subsided somewhat as it has turned into a grind , bit its still only a press of a button away if someone feels threatened or embarrassed

Israel / Gaza , Israel / Iran , will this end quickly or is it a 1000 year war ?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hamas had tunnels everywhere.

Blowing up hospitals, schools etc did nothing to destroy any "airbases". It just killed thousands of innocent civilians and directly showed the world why what the Israeli State is doing is genocide.
And what would Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis and Iran be doing to Israel while they're hiding behind the women and children, if they thought they possibly could? They wouldn't possibly be thinking of genocide every night while they say there prayers before bed would they now?
Both extremist sides just loving kicking the *smile* out of one another any way they possibly can and all the poor insignificant numpties stuck in the middle can simply just wear whatever *smile* gets thrown their way.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
will this escalate to the point it drags the rest of the world (or other parts of the world ) in ?

the Russia/Ukraine war had that feeling , that has subsided somewhat as it has turned into a grind , bit its still only a press of a button away if someone feels threatened or embarrassed

Israel / Gaza , Israel / Iran , will this end quickly or is it a 1000 year war ?
I hope not Ceehook. What we have are two pretty unstable regimes in Israel and Iran.
For all the bluster and noise Iran makes and the whipping up of some of their people they have been masters in the past at stopping short of actually doing anything massively reckless. I don’t think that comes from any humanitarian motive but one of self preservation because they know they can’t win. Their rhetoric has always been greater than their actions, most do what they do is covert.
We need a stable US government as well and for all the disappointment I have had with Biden over this he is at least a stable human being. Trump is a whole other matter.
Despite that all it needs is one miscalculation. Let’s hope they are all smart enough to know where the line is.

Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
what spooks me a little is how do you de escalate the situation ?

even this thread and we are all a long way from the conflict zones and look how polarised.

each side can quote any number of horrible incidents committed by the other side
and the time line stretches back a lot further than 1947

I've heard little snippets like a former team mate travelled to Iran , just as a tourist , with his red headed daughter and they had a great time
so not all Irian's hate the West

And of Jewish families gathering at a Canadian airport to offer help to Syrian refugees

and while that gives hope that their are good people in all societies the amount of hate in that region
is scary and its not just jew vs Arab , or Arab vs West , so many sects of islam hate each other and will die for their cause

and now they play with big boy toys that can do a lot of damage

if anyone can broker peace we should get the 7 Spotlight team on the job , supply with all the booze , coke and hooker they can handle

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I think the point being made on the Iranian attack is that (rightly or wrongly) it is being justified as a response to the Israeli attack on their embassy. Therefore the response is aimed at where that attack originated not at civilian targets.
Of course some believe Israel kicked it off, as usual. But downplay the reason Iranian generals were sitting in an office in Syria. He wasn’t there to take in the view.They weren’t plotting any more attacks on Israel, organising munitions training or anything else aimed at..wait…Israel. Not just military targets, we saw that 6 months ago.
Do you the airfield? The IDF? The Israeli leadership?
Pity the seven year old girl who was injured.
In terms of tunnels Hamas had/has tunnels everywhere for pretty obvious reasons i.e. as a way of hiding from missile and airstrikes. I know a couple of doctors who worked in hospitals in Gaza and they have never seen any evidence that there were tunnels underneath but that doesn't mean they weren't there or at other hospitals.
Ithink there was plenty of evidence that there was. I wouldn’t think doctors would be aware of them if they were doing their work, treating patients.
Obviously it depends on the source and their agenda.

Any Hamas tunnel places innocent civilians at risk. I would add that there is noone acting as an apologist for Hamas or Iran on here, just stating support for Palestinian self determination. I wish Hamas would just *smile* off so that actual issue could be dealt with better.
Yes and on it goes. Without any thought and a distinct lack of conscience or humanity.
One thing we need to be clear on is whilst Iran now funds and arms Hamas and Hezbollah neither was created by Iran.
Apart from when Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shia group was created with the support of 1500 Iran Revolutionary Guards. It was even give the name by Khomeini. If they were “created” they’ve been indoctrinated, supplied, trained and funded by Iran
As for Hamas, Iran may not have actually created these murderous bastards, but they fund, train, arm them. Without Iran, would Hamas be in power ruling over Gaza. Would they have the manpower, weapons, facilities be able to carry out missile strikes, October 7.
That support came later (and I wish it hadn't) but Hamas was created because of the Palestinian issue and Hezbollah following the Israeli attack on Lebanon in the 1980s and its attempt to create a compliant government at the time amongst the chaos in that country.
Maybe the reason they wanted a more compliant government was because of the terror attacks coming from Lebanon at the time. Didn’t the PLO relocate from Jordan to Lebanon after the Black September conflict.After Jordan kicked them out.
After the Coastal Road Massacre and numerous other attacks on Israeli civilians and the attempted assassination of one of its ambassadors, Israel responded by invading Lebanon to hunt the PLO/fatah.
This was when Israel and Egypt were discussing peace talks..

The Lebanese people themselves would love Hezbollah to disappear as their country has been turned from an oasis in the middle east into a basket case by political factions and corruption, foreign interference from Iran, Syria and Israel ( and probably others) and lately from a massive influx of enormous numbers of refugees from the Syrian conflict. The last thing they want is a war with Israel in their north, but they are helpless to change it. I went to Beirut many years ago when it was known as the "Paris of the Middle east", it was awesome.
Im sure the good, decent populations of these middle eas5 countries would like all these terror armies t9 go for a long one way walk into the Mediterranean or the Red Sea.

Regardless of which “dies” or opinion we all have , we can all agree on one thing.
And that it’s always the innocent who pay the price. Always. To a lesser degree is the utter destruction that is a result.
People having to get over the loss of loved ones, the gruesome injuries survivors have to live with.
The continued pain and suffering that never ends. The always uncertain future living in these areas..just waiting for something to kick off another round of violence.
Having to remake lives, with the absence of good jobs, schools, health infrastructure etc etc.

When will this cycle of violence and self destruction finally end?

You feel like putting them all in their own bottle and dispersing them to the four corners of the earth. But knowing the protagonists they’d find a way to still keep going.
I may be pessimistic, but realistically I’m not sure where they go from here. Idealists may have an answer. Realists…?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Of course some believe Israel kicked it off, as usual. But downplay the reason Iranian generals were sitting in an office in Syria. He wasn’t there to take in the view.They weren’t plotting any more attacks on Israel, organising munitions training or anything else aimed at..wait…Israel. Not just military targets, we saw that 6 months ago.
Do you the airfield? The IDF? The Israeli leadership?
Pity the seven year old girl who was injured.
Read what I wrote