Phantom Draft 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 2016

Sammy C said:
We are having a think at GWS on the bid for Harrison Macreadie back shortly with an answer

Dont really know what there is to think about , GWS are basically going to get Macreadie for #54,#56,#57

turk-d-tiger said:
Dont really know what there is to think about , GWS are basically going to get Macreadie for #54,#56,#57

I suppose its whether they would prefer the other academy kids. Sproule / Mutch etc.

GWS Match The Brisbane Bid

The Giants Welcome Harrison Macreadie

Team: Henty
Height: 196
Weight: 89
DOB: 11/4/98

mrposhman said:
I suppose its whether they would prefer the other academy kids. Sproule / Mutch etc.

Pretty sure they can still take them also with the discounts and going into deficit next year

List spots would be the issue, How many players can they take before the bucket is full

This is by far the toughest decision the Brisbane Lions face at the draft table, Brandan Parfitt is rated the 20th best prospect in the pool however there seems to be a gaping hole in defence and the player ranked at 21 could very easily fill that void. The other factor has been the fact that the Lions have a similar type to Parfitt in Lewis Taylor, so after considerable debate the brains trust have opted to select Woodville-West Torrens bigman Brennan Cox.

Now it's fair to say that Cox isn't necessarily the most athletic player in the pool, he ran a 13.4 beep & doesn't appear overly quick in the heat of battle, this despite the fact he has run a 3.04sec/20m in official testing. This would seem to be more of an intensity issue as opposed to any physical impediment and once in an AFL environment the belief is that he will lift his work rate accordingly. Coming from a basketball background the two standout features of Cox's play are his outstanding agility and enormous leap, this has allowed him to play as a key defender similar to Cale Hooker and also to pinch hit in the ruck. Given Brisbane rely heavily on Stefan Martin, having an additional player to provide relief will give the side some much needed flexibility.

With Schache already with a year under his belt, Ballenden a certainty to be recruited next year & Hipwood progressing at a rate of knots, the bigman stocks are starting to look imposing. With the addition of Cox, I think it's fair to say the spinal surgery is nearing its completion.

Pick 25. Brennan Cox

SCOOP said:
I thought about Rotham but thought the Bombers already had Francis.

Do you think that's Rotham best outcome? Or is Francis a better pack mark?

Francis is by far the better player in one on one situations, his intercept marking was the best I've seen in the last ten years of watching the u/18 state carnival. In saying that, Rotham is quick, elite if you want to break it down by position. Once he builds his tank he will be a very dangerous player, particularly given his kicking action is silky smooth. With some extra bulk I can see Josh improving his defensive capabilities, he seemed to relish that role playing for the AIS. Whilst I have Scrimshaw ahead at this stage there's not a huge amount separating them as far as AFL credentials are concerned. Their tanks are roughly the same and both have a top notch kicking technique. If Rotham does slide to the second round someone will be getting a bargain.

The Cats have taken their full two minutes and asked for the extra two as they consider a number of players. Stephen Wells is twitching nervously as he understands the trade period pretty much eroded any remaining credits from the 1999 and 2001 drafting efforts off which he has lived for 15 years...

When in doubt, go with what you know. Geelong's dynasty was built on the back of drafting lads out of the Falcons, and there's a local fella available here who but for a broken leg might well have gone top 15. Alex Witherden impressed as a bottom-ager last year, averaging 18 possessions off half-back and showing composure, speed, vision and lovely kicking. He would have moved into the midfield this year but only had the two games before the season-ending injury. In those he had 21 and 25 disposals, so he can find the ball no worries.

Pick 27: Alex Witherden.

With Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman down back, and McKay and Curnow up forward, the Blues will continue to build the midfield knowing the likelihood of picking up a quality tall early in next year's draft.

This bloke was All Australian as a bottom-ager last year, won a senior B&F at 16, and this year got leather poisoning in the SANFL, averaging 29 touches in the under-18s and 19 in four Magoos appearances, despite battling injuries that prevented him adding to the five senior SANFL games (twice named in the bests) he racked up in 2015. He's a powerful little inside-out mid with neat rather than brilliant skills and decent rather than scorching pace, but he can seriously play, and the Blues are very happy to welcome Bully's boy aboard.

Pick 28: Brandan Parfitt.

Western Bulldogs
Cedric COX
Ht: 184cm Wt: 70kg
North Ballarat Rebels

Cousin of Sam Petrevski-Seton.
Hard running half back with good skills on both sides.
We think he'll fit right in at the Bulldogs.

With the mids situation reasonably well settled ( for now) the Tigers have opted to continue their successful drafting of KPPs ( alumni: Todd Elton, Ty Vickery, Cleve Hughes Reece McKenzie and Adam Pattison among others)

and have chosen player 23546 Patrick Kerr, a 194 cm and 93kg full forward.

Key forward who has a good set of hands both in the air and on the lead, while also a very accurate shot for goal when he is on.

Strengths:
•Good set shot technique
•Quick on the lead
•Great mark above his head

We look forward to Patrick having a successful career on the half back flank.

Another big spud

Don't be surprised if we bid in Kobe Mutch (GWS academy) and they don't match the bid as a thanks for Lids.

King Kong said:
Another big spud

Don't be surprised if we bid in Kobe Mutch (GWS academy) and they don't match the bid as a thanks for Lids.

I think Mutch would be a bit of a reach at 27. I was kind of hoping we'd bid for Scheer and the Suns wouldn't match to balance out the prestia trade more.

Buckley is a desperate man so he's scrambling around for any quick fixes he can get his hands on. He would have gladly taken Brennan Cox if available - a perfect replacement for Jack Frost, however the Lions were first at the trough so it's been decided that a suitable replacement for the rastafarian will be the best course of action.

Pick 31. Luke Ryan - Coburg

Ryan is the best state league prospect in the pool, as a rebounding defender he's taken the most intercept marks in the VFL and his 86% kicking efficiency tops the charts for all players who have registered over 15 disposals a match. As the reigning Fothergill-Round medalist and a member of the VFL team of the year he's ready to roll in 2016 and will ensure that the Marley legacy won't be forgotten in Buckley's final year as coach.

bullus_hit said:
Pick 31. Luke Ryan - Coburg

Ryan is the best state league prospect in the pool, as a rebounding defender he's taken the most intercept marks in the VFL and his 86% kicking efficiency tops the charts for all players who have registered over 15 disposals a match. As the reigning Fothergill-Round medalist and a member of the VFL team of the year he's ready to roll in 2016 and will ensure that the Marley legacy won't be forgotten in Buckley's final year as coach.

Good pick up had Luke in our sights has had a good last couple of years