Pick 12 discussion. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 12 discussion.

CC TIGER said:
He'd have to be wouldn't he Jack ? I've only seen very little of him Jack, but I reckon his a beauty and a bushy to boot ;)

Has all the hallmarks of solid citizen that FJ likes, plus all the upgrades on the Commodore so his more Senator then executive . No chance of getting to 12 though Jack

Damn that to hell, CC. Looks just the type. Hopefully FJ has an inspired moment.

Oliver is our man, if he lasts. If he doesn't, we likely face a choice between Ah Chee, Mathieson, Balic and Gresham.

Unlike bully, I've never been a huge fan of midgets not named Flea Weightman or Nugget Foley. But I really like Gresham. Super-clean, super-efficient (33 of 39 one day), high accumulator, highly consistent - named in the bests in 23 of 30 TAC games across two years. Averaged 33 touches and a goal a game at TAC level this year and 27 touches at the Champs. Evasive. Quick enough. Links well. Hits targets. Marks well. Just an excellent, all-round footballer, at 177cm.

Ah Chee is a very smart footballer. Slick. Maybe a bit special, but not Cyril special. Arguably he suits our needs better. Kicks goals, takes marks, very quick. Stepped up in the WAFL. If Oliver's gone I'd probably take him ahead of Gresham.

If I have a pick inside 10, I take Collins.

Gary Buckenara had him at 3 on his draft board in a AFL podcasts.

If I'm Carlton I take KP's with all my picks. Brendan Bolton just left a club that won three flags off the back of a key postion draft. I think he'll do the same. And Collins would be one of the three.

SCOOP said:
If I have a pick inside 10, I take Collins.

Gary Buckenara had him at 3 on his draft board in a AFL podcasts.

If I'm Carlton I take KP's with all my picks. Brendan Bolton just left a club that won three flags off the back of a key postion draft. I think he'll do the same. And Collins would be one of the three.

Agreed, Weitering, Collins and say McKay would be a great haul. They do have gaping holes all over the ground, even midfield, but it'd be easier to fill those gaps with plug n play mids via future drafts (our 2016 second rounder will be handy for that). If I were them I'd even consider taking Harry at 11 AND Ben at 19. Possibly even Burton if he falls that far. Stock up.

For us, I'm starting to like Gresham more and more. I haven't seen him play as a small forward but I'm wondering if, with the reduction in interchange cap looming, we'd be better off taking a player with definite midfield credentials and potential to be a small forward, rather than the opposite (Ah Chee). He seems like a pretty sure thing too, reminds me of Prestia.

Stylo said:
Agreed, Weitering, Collins and say McKay would be a great haul. They do have gaping holes all over the ground, even midfield, but it'd be easier to fill those gaps with plug n play mids via future drafts (our 2016 second rounder will be handy for that). If I were them I'd even consider taking Harry at 11 AND Ben at 19. Possibly even Burton if he falls that far. Stock up.

And I reckon that's the plan. Get your spine this draft because they are the best available types. It fills the need and doesn't skew away from taking the bet available talent. I'd be with you on Weithering, Collins and McKay. At 19 you can should be able to get a pretty good mid as well.

Next years draft is full of good mids and our second round pick is super helpful for that. You can semi-fix the midfield quickly if you invest heavily over two drafts. We've never done it. And that's why we are consistently one mid short of being a top four side.

Stylo said:
For us, I'm starting to like Gresham more and more. I haven't seen him play as a small forward but I'm wondering if, with the reduction in interchange cap looming, we'd be better off taking a player with definite midfield credentials and potential to be a small forward, rather than the opposite (Ah Chee). He seems like a pretty sure thing too, reminds me of Prestia.

I'm a fan as well. There is a lot of really good mids at our pick that can build depth. Despite his size, Gresham ticks every box. And is competitive. Like your rucks, your super smalls must be competitive and not fear contact. Jade doesn't. Makes tackles stick. And is surprisingly strong in the hips. Won't be a bad result at 12.

go polo said:
Scoop what if collins is at pick 12 do we take him

It's a head scratcher. I don't think he will be on the board. I don't see us taking him. If we had more picks we may take him and change our needs later on but with our next pick being at 52 not sure we take that risk, I don't have Collins head and shoulders above those available at 12 and I think our needs for midfield talent trumps him. But I was a club that needed key backs, I'd spend a first rounder on him.

Would like a genuine mid with our first pick, one can never have to many mids.

Clayton Oliver would be great but feel he will be gone before us. Looks like a beast..Dusty MkII

Hibberd looks like he has huge upside. Growing into his body would see his skills and athleticism go thru the roof. And being a tassie boy he wouldn't get as much elite junior footy so being in an AFL environment would also be huge for him.

Failing that, Milera ahead of Ah Chee as i reckon Milera will ultimately have more strings to his bow.

It's going to be interesting.

There are a few nice choices there and it depends who is going to be available and whether we target outside run, inside midfielder, etc.

I like quite a few. Wish we had another first round pick!

spook / SCOOP,

Why are you talking about Carlton and our 2nd next year? Didn't that go to Gold Coast?

I have seen none of the u18s all year. But have just had a look at the highlight of the guys that have been thrown around at our pick, so now I'm an expert. My thoughts:

- Oliver: part of me sees some Jack Ziebel in him but then I see a touch of Dan Connors as a junior. Is a good size and could play early. My only concern is lack of speed by foot with no clear indication that he makes up for this with speed of mind (like Kennedy, Mitchell etc do)

- Mathieson: had read the negative reports on this guy and wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Also a good size and looks pretty clean with the footy. Would be a solid pick but unlikely to be an A grader.

- Rioli: LOL, reminded me of JON's highlights. Shows glimpses of magic while running with the footy but that's where it ends. Turns it over way too regularly. At least in JONs highlights they cut the vision before you could see he missed the target. With Rioli, you can see it plain as day that he rarely hits the target by hand or foot. Not a first round pick and would also argue not a second round pick either.

- Ah Chee: he's our man. Has the magic of Rioli but with damaging skills. Freakish goal sense. Good tackle, makes his teammates look good and best of all, he has pace in spades. Exactly what we lack up forward.

Either of Oliver or Balic would be a great get, they are my preferred but if both are gone id go on the flip side and go Ah Chee (will take a bit longer) has speed and skill, can take a good grab and would provide good outside run...

2015 Morrish Medal winner: Clayton Oliver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6E68Dpgl3k

Clayton Oliver

Combine testing results:
20m- 2.99sec
Agility- 8.11sec (third overall)
3km- 10.45min
Goalkicking- 30 out of 30. (equal first)

Oliver is an aggressive midfielder who propels the ball forward with his long boot. He averaged 24 disposals, just over 6 clearances & 14 contested possessions per game. Throughout the TAC Cup season, he also kicked 20 goals in 16 games for the season. Oliver is a stoppage king and is one of the better inside midfielders in the draft. A strength of Oliver is his handballing in stoppages which allows for him to clear the ball from the contest helping his team move forward. Oliver also averaged 6 tackles a game for Murray & is a fierce competitor playing on the inside.

Pretty good numbers there for Oliver, much better than the some of the "not very athletic" comments about him on other sites that can't be named.

With the lack of talk of Darcy Tucker assume he's a sure thing to be gone by our pick?

From the Champs games he did play, other highlights and background he looks pretty clearly above the other candidates that get mentioned on here for 12 ILO.

No chance he to gets us?

Leysy Days said:
With the lack of talk of Darcy Tucker assume he's a sure thing to be gone by our pick?

From the Champs games he did play, other highlights and background he looks pretty clearly above the other candidates that get mentioned on here for 12 ILO.

No chance he to gets us?
I asked the same question in the other draft thread. For me he seems the standout pick.

Giardiasis said:
Tucker's ball drop looks very awkward. Would it hold up when under AFL level pressure?
It might look unorthodox it's very effective. What impresses me is his willingness to use his opposite foot. Great trait to have in any football code.