Pick 12 discussion. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 12 discussion.

From video highlights only, Bonner, Tucker, Ah Chee and Oliver look most impressive for mine. Bonner looks super clean and top quality on both left and right.

Giardiasis said:
Tucker's ball drop looks very awkward. Would it hold up when under AFL level pressure?

Looks horrendous. I'd hope there's more to him than his highlights package.

Jordy McMahon anyone?

still think Curnow might fall through ;D

nah, however we get is going to be a beauty and better than him, I know.

How does a bloke play footy for 10 years and still have a ball-drop that awkward? Sure, he hits targets in his highlights package. Who doesnt? But it's a technique that tends to fall apart under pressure.

scottyturnerscurse said:
How does a bloke play footy for 10 years and still have a ball-drop that awkward? Sure, he hits targets in his highlights package. Who doesnt? But it's a technique that tends to fall apart under pressure.

If you're talking about the one on youtube, it's not a highlights package. None of the ones by Skippos are, they're montages of every involvement the player had at the champs, good or bad.

Stylo said:
If you're talking about the one on youtube, it's not a highlights package. None of the ones by Skippos are, they're montages of every involvement the player had at the champs, good or bad.

Na, was looking at the Pravda site. Will check out Skippos now.

I'm not usually one for the juniors but have had a bit of a look.
In terms of those that could make an impact over the next 2-3 years when our window is open, Ah Chee looks the pick to me.
Jeff Garlett/Cyril Rioli type. Clean skills, good overhead mark with a bit of X. Fills a much needed gap in our list.

waiting said:
It's going to be interesting.

There are a few nice choices there and it depends who is going to be available and whether we target outside run, inside midfielder, etc.

I like quite a few. Wish we had another first round pick!

I just wish draft day will come and go already. It always seems that way wherever our first pick is, that there is always a gut wrenching choice between a couple of standouts. I kind of wish we had a policy that no-matter where our first pick is that we try and trade to get another pick near it (envious for example that Hawthorn have two first rounders so close together), to avoid the conundrum and frustration.

The consensus seems to be between Ah Chee and Oliver, from what I read I kind of favour the former (he sounds to me to be a young Harley Bennell type without the baggage). Personally if it really is between the two I hope come draft day that only one of them is left on the table when our pick comes. We could then say we were always going to pick him and then everyone will be happy. No what ifs or could haves or should haves. Again can't wait until it's all done and dusted.

Why is Hopper tied up to GWS? Grown up in Leeton, boarded at St Pats and played 2 years TAC with the Rebels. I can understand Academy picks where the club have invested in developing kids that may otherwise not played AFL, but surely the Riverina is a long established footy area where the kids should simply enter the draft.

The AFL is seriously flawed.

Lived in Leeton for a while. Can tell you that it is very much a rugby town. Since the academy there has been AFL level footballers come from there (including Townsend who we have signed). Hard to think of any before the academy so I can understand the AFL's thinking in this case.

Letsroar said:
Lived in Leeton for a while. Can tell you that it is very much a rugby town. Since the academy there has been AFL level footballers come from there (including Townsend who we have signed). Hard to think of any before the academy so I can understand the AFL's thinking in this case.
No doubt Leeton and Griffith favour rugby, but the riverina league is a strong league who have produced its fair share of AFL stars and you don't have to travel far to places like Jerilderie where AFL becomes the dominant form of footy. I can understand GWS and Sydney having a big impact on places like Coffs Harbour or Bathurst, but Leeton is a stretch.

Riverina is the crossover point between Rugby, Union and AFL.

The Aussie Rules played at Leeton is a good standard as is Griffith ( both part of the Riverina League ) There is no reason to give GWS a free swing as the players
live closer to Melbourne than Sydney and as if GWS hasn't received enough already.

Yes and No. There's a feel good factor for the NSW based teams if they can say "NSW born and bred" when they have these kids on their list.

I don't mind the NSW and QLD based teams having first swing at their home grown state players. It's all part of making the game a truly national comp.

Dimma has a mancrush and salivates about Wingard :hearton every time we play Port
Its time to get someone that has the Xfactor of Wingard his name is Callum Ah Chee just get him!!!

Baloo said:
Is this the same Ah Chee that was in last years draft ?

Hes 18 from what I can see this is his first draft year

Heres the highlight package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--ZZOle5ec

btoz_01 said:
Hes 18 from what I can see this is his first draft year

Heres the highlight package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--ZZOle5ec
Worst highlight package I've ever seen

kendo said:
Worst highlight package I've ever seen

I guess youre not impressed with Ah Chee's mark either ::)

AhCheescreamer246_246X316.jpg

Liked Ah Chee highlights, is very small at 71 kg
Not sure it will be Dimmas style for first round pick
Think they will go for a solid midfielder