Pick 12 discussion. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 12 discussion.

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
Re: Looks like Pick 10

ToraToraTora said:
Why don't we just take Matt Crouch basically clone of his brother isn't he?

From what i have read he is not as good a kick and not as athletic as Brad

Someone who has actually seen Matt play could prolly give a more informed opinion

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD

davidrodan said:
From what i have read he is not as good a kick and not as athletic as Brad

Someone who has actually seen Matt play could prolly give a more informed opinion

Oh I see

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012

Huw said:
If the rumours around Daisy Thomas going to Carlscum are true then that would give Pies a Compo pick (as he's a restricted FA) straight after their 1st pick which would be 1 before us, knocking us back another spot in the order.

Pretty sure the most they can get is an end of 1st round pick.

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012

davidrodan said:
Yep, reckon compo picks should come after the first round regardless of who the player is, if at all

Now I want Conca to re-sign but as a contingency how bout

Richmond
Out Conca, pick 11
In Crouch, pick 23

West Coast
Out Lycett, pick 6, pick 23
In Conca, pick 11

Adelaide
Out Crouch
In Lycett, pick 6

Seem fair or not?

Don't reckon Adelaide would do it but they are after a first round pick and you have to give something good to get it

I like it for us but I reckon West Coast are getting nailed in that deal

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004

If dale thomas leaves Collingwood will they likely to get compensation pick 11 thus pushing us back a pick? That would suck. Anyone know?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Yep the Pies will get 10 & 11. Huge win for the Pies.

This could allow them to package up the picks with a player and move for Boyd. 10,11 and someone else is an interesting package. I still think we can get a player as good as Conca with this pick. Maybe Freeman, maybe Sheed, maybe Crouch.

This is the draft to go mid crazy.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008

SCOOP said:
Yep the Pies will get 10 & 11. Huge win for the Pies.

I would not say that losing Thomas is a win. Quality player, no wonder malt house is keen.

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012

I could have sworn the AFL said, after the inaugural FA period, future compensation picks for FA losses would be end of first round at best?

Spirit of Jack

Apr 19, 2004

i know it was implemented last year - but a compensation system that penalises a third party club - in this case us - is insane.

Spirit of Jack

Apr 19, 2004

Stylo said:
I could have sworn the AFL said, after the inaugural FA period, future compensation picks for FA losses would be end of first round at best?
thats sounds much fairer as all teams are 'penalised' rather than just those unlucky enough to be picking after a mid round compensation pick

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

lukeanddad said:
I would not say that losing Thomas is a win. Quality player, no wonder malt house is keen.

700k a year for five years for someone who hasn't played at an elite level for two years with a body that is letting him down. Daisy's game is based around pace and agility. Huge risk.

Getting cap space and a top 12 pick is a win.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

SCOOP said:
I still think we can get a player as good as Conca with this pick. Maybe Freeman, maybe Sheed, maybe Crouch.

All those boys tick a lot of boxes but how do you rate their kicking?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

bullus_hit said:
All those boys tick a lot of boxes but how do you rate their kicking?

I like Sheeds kicking the most, then Freeman, then Crouch.

The first two are really good kicks and Crouch is ok but an inside beast. Crouch is a Luke Ball type mid before the OP.

If we want the best kick, it's Ben Lennon, by far.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

SCOOP said:
I like Sheeds kicking the most, then Freeman, then Crouch.

The first two are really good kicks and Crouch is ok but an inside beast. Crouch is a Luke Ball type mid before the OP.

If we want the best kick, it's Ben Lennon, by far.

Sheeds is pretty low risk with his kicking, gets the job done but is missing a bit of hurt factor from my perspective. That shouldn't be a deal breaker but I reckon we need a bit of spice coming from the middle. I like Freeman's dash but there's also an element of slapping the ball on the boot, do we take the risk and hope everything else equates to the next Dangerfield?

I mentioned Salem earlier because I think he brings something to the table that we are lacking - poise and pinpoint delivery. He may not be the possession junkie like the others but he's adept on both sides and has significant hurt factor with his kicking. The other thing that appeals is his defensive pressure, he's tailor made for Dimma's gameplan and he'll bring some much needed tackling pedigree to the side. He's a risk no doubt, he didn't shine against the country's heavyweights but he's had 2 very good seasons at TAC level which cannot be ignored.

As for Lennon, lovely kick indeed, most judges have him in the top ten, I'm starting to think he'll be gone by our turn.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

We need a Shaun Atley type that North picked up a few years ago who will be a game breaker in a year or two.

Is there anyone with his atributes (speed and kicking penetration) who will be in the draft or trade. At this point I can only think of Polec, if he can overcome his injuries could become that type of player.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

year of the tiger said:
We need a Shaun Atley type that North picked up a few years ago who will be a game breaker in a year or two.

Is there anyone with his atributes (speed and kicking penetration) who will be in the draft or trade. At this point I can only think of Polec, if he can overcome his injuries could become that type of player.

I think the closest thing to Atley is Freeman, huge power burst in the first few steps, the question is whether he can use that break away pace to kick to advantage. Atley doesn't do that often enough in my opinion, still very hit or miss, I would be disappointed if we signed up for an Atley to be honest. As for Polec, you would struggle to find a more outside, one-sided player in the competition - a poor man's Aaron Fiora.

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat

maverick said:
If dale thomas leaves Collingwood will they likely to get compensation pick 11 thus pushing us back a pick? That would suck. Anyone know?
Why?
Has not played for 2 yeast will not be 1st round 2nd at best.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

bullus_hit said:
I think the closest thing to Atley is Freeman, huge power burst in the first few steps, the question is whether he can use that break away pace to kick to advantage. Atley doesn't do that often enough in my opinion, still very hit or miss, I would be disappointed if we signed up for an Atley to be honest. As for Polec, you would struggle to find a more outside, one-sided player in the competition - a poor man's Aaron Fiora.

Fair call - Atley has just started to break the lines but he is only just started to do it, taken awhile. Polec haven't seen him play and he has bairly made it onto the park - so agree a big risk to give up anything of substance for, but if he came very cheap, then might be worth a go.