Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

At the start of the game he looked like he had the concrete boots on again..
By game's end though he was running on top off the ground. Real workhorse stuff & very important in the last Q.

That said I'm still not really sure where Jack Graham fits in all of it going forward.
Look ToO…I’m a big fan of chopper and actually agree about the first sentence as sometimes he does take a bit to get going, but some of the vitriol on here is over the top sometimes (not your post)
He is no different to a lot of our “stars” who have good and bad games, but for some reason some just don’t like/rate fridge but it is what it is and I get it.
He is not super fast and can put in a bad one here and there, but there is just something about Jack I really like and he will always be a favourite of mine even if he leaves…can’t say the same about a lot of others.

Reactions: 5 users
Not the fastest on the park but does a lot of the heavy lifting again and can still kick the odd goal so for me, worth his place in the team
Funny how Graham is consistently knocked for his lack of pace around here yet he regularly gets in the top five fasted players on the ground according to GPS numbers.
He clocked in at 31.3 km/h on Saturday which was third fastest on the ground, ahead of Bolton and Mansell and behind Rioli.

Maybe he fails the “eye test”?

Reactions: 6 users
Funny how Graham is consistently knocked for his lack of pace around here yet he regularly gets in the top five fasted players on the ground according to GPS numbers.
He clocked in at 31.3 km/h on Saturday which was third fastest on the ground, ahead of Bolton and Mansell and behind Rioli.

100%...he just does not look "fast". Must have a real sprint in him now and again to clock these times.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah, there are times he looks fast and there are times he looks like he’s plodding.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely a myth he is slow , I think we see him looking slow chasing at times because hes quite often on a 3rd or 4th repeat chase.

Intresting player for us going forward as he should be about to play his best footy , don’t think he has much value to Port or Crows , so I’d like him given an exact role next season , preferably as a defensive midfielder and at times going into a genuine lockdown role .

Reactions: 9 users
Definitely a myth he is slow , I think we see him looking slow chasing at times because hes quite often on a 3rd or 4th repeat chase.

Intresting player for us going forward as he should be about to play his best footy , don’t think he has much value to Port or Crows , so I’d like him given an exact role next season , preferably as a defensive midfielder and at times going into a genuine lockdown role .
He's slow to accelerate, but has a high top speed.

Sitting on the wing, I've often remarked to a friend how when he's racing a player to a loose ball, it looks like they have 2 metres on him, but he always gets there.

A huge part of it is will and desire too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Good call. Often he is on his 3rd effort and gassed. But still trying. And at times he looks like he is flying when running past for a handpass.

The gap between his best and his worst is still too large IMO but at his best he is a very solid AFL player.

Reactions: 3 users
I noted with interest that Jack got the most coaches votes by a Richmond player against the Hawks. I gave him my 5 votes in the PRE player of the year, just saying :cool:
Good to Jack running into some form after a terrible pre season.

Reactions: 1 users
Coburgtiger you hit the nail on the head, his acceleration is not as good as others but has a higher top speed and this is confirmed in other years as he registers

high top speeds. (sept 2020 Jack Graham, 34.2 km/h v Adelaide, )

He is another that had an uninterrupted preseason.
Finding form now.
His running has reached top level

Reactions: 1 user
Another pretty ordinary game from Jack Graham. I will say it again I'm not sure where he fits. Should be taking up the baton but hasn't.
We can’t have so many gut runners who don’t amass a gazillion possessions and don’t affect the game. Graham doesn’t perform to an elite level often enough and seems to go missing against best teams. Disappointing but think it’s in everyone’s interest to organise a trade at season’s end.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users