Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Old skool encouragement! Do this or your sacked!

It's called tough love, and can be the right option for the right person.

You may have also missed the word "encouragement" in your haste to reply.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Crazy hey?

Miller probably will always be a limited footballer who has low impact, but maybe giving him encouragement to actually go for his marks might turn him from a 5 disposal player to an 10 disposal player. At this stage it cant hurt.

That's the key, isn't it, B17? 5 disposals is delist. 10 is persevere. Miller has to get 10 touches to keep his place in the seniors.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Over the past few games Miller has levelled up at VFA and senior level IMO. His endeavour is up 100%, albeit from a low base. And he was promoted on the back of huge clutch game including kicking the winning goal in the magoos last round.

He had to be promoted on that.

As spook points out his aerial game still lacks energy. He won't go near it. But. His ground endeavour is through the roof to acceptable levels from a paltry base.

Anybody who's been through the Shrinking Violet years (is it a decade yet? Feels that way.) with Minson wants tough love. We can't take it any more.

That's why the VFA full forward test proposed by B17 has such appeal. Get 10 touches, [take 10 marks,] kick 5 goals in the magoos, Minson, ya big *smile* head!

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It's called tough love, and can be the right option for the right person.

You may have also missed the word "encouragement" in your haste to reply.
It was tongue in cheek K3. B17 is my favourite poster in PRE. It's amazing how he's come on since he stopped having to defend the flying pencil.

I'm over 50 so old skool is how I grew up. It's a different world now. My son and his mates "talk" about issues and problems - WTF? You were taught to either punch your way out of a problem or stfu in my day.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
When he does something he goes ok, issue is he doesnt do something very often. I thought he competed ok at times, but his mind set is clearly on stopping his opponent from marking the ball.

I reckon play him in the vfl at full forward for a few weeks and tell him he needs to take 10 marks and kick 5 goals or his career is over. probably wont achieve anything, but at some stage his going to need to learn to actually try to mark the ball, or they should shift back to the backline and leave him there.

He has played enough two’s. From that it is a long way from clear that the threat of downfall will work.

Get the feeling that Mini may be the master of encouragement, which mental state is imo more likely to occur and more likely to succeed, while Ben is playing one’s.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's the key, isn't it, B17? 5 disposals is delist. 10 is persevere. Miller has to get 10 touches to keep his place in the seniors.
As long as 5 of them are goals according to B17!! In the 2's though.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He's struggling to put together one good quarter.

It's a shame, he's got all the physical tools, just no mongrel in him.
The number 1 key ingredient for any key tall is aggression.

He's going the way of Vickery, Griffins, Elton & many others before him.

It's a tough physically demanding role to play.

Every so oftern he does something where I think gee wiz he has talent but the guy just not believe in himself.
No swag, no desire & maybe soon no career.

Reactions: 4 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
His ground game is outstanding for his size. But that isn't good enough. At his size he needs to be commanding the ball and putting the frighteners on defenders. Keeping them honest. If they know the ball is going to ground, that's basically a win. Thing is, I've seen him lead at the ball with confidence and take it overhead, maybe in his 1st or 2nd senior game? I thought, "we've found something here. Might struggle to hold a spot with Lynch, Jack, Bolton etc. We'll see?" Not sure I've seen him do it since?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The number 1 key ingredient for any key tall is aggression.

He's going the way of Vickery, Griffins, Elton & many others before him.

It's a tough physically demanding role to play.

Every so oftern he does something where I think gee wiz he has talent but the guy just not believe in himself.
No swag, no desire & maybe soon no career.
being generous, i think part of Millers issue is that he knows he has to compete when the ball is in the air. so he tries to compete- he always grabs his opponent, which means he cant mark the ball cos he hands are busy. and it means he doesnt lead, cos he might lead to the wrong spot allowing his opponent to drop off and intercept.
that is being generous. he might also not do those things because he isnt a great footballer.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I reckon Ben did some good things during the game. Not as bad as most say.

Reactions: 5 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
being generous, i think part of Millers issue is that he knows he has to compete when the ball is in the air. so he tries to compete- he always grabs his opponent, which means he cant mark the ball cos he hands are busy. and it means he doesnt lead, cos he might lead to the wrong spot allowing his opponent to drop off and intercept.
that is being generous. he might also not do those things because he isnt a great footballer.
...might...

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Then pay him out.

He will never be the player we want him or be.
he has half a season to prove he is worth keeping
his ground level energy is great and uses the ball well
the trick now will be to bring that to either ruck work or the ariel stuff

Reactions: 3 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I’m not saying I’m Millers biggest critic, but I’m definitely on the podium.

That was his best game (probably at any level). Well done Ben, well done.

Reactions: 10 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I’m not saying I’m Millers biggest critic, but I’m definitely on the podium.

That was his best game (probably at any level). Well done Ben, well done.
Showed he can play at the level, not that I've doubted his ability, as much as he does.

Reactions: 1 users