Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

This kid looks like he can play. Good pick up. Only worry is his kicking like everyone has already pointed out. My main concern is not so much that he will miss targets through inaccuracy, it's that a lot of his kicks will be deflected or smothered due to the speed of defensive pressure the opposition forwards apply these days.

Might seem strange but I've heard it mentioned a few times over recent years that recruiters n even more so coaches love players that can stand up in big games.
Garp stood up pretty big in the U18 Grannie between Sandringham n the Bushies this year.
He'd have gone close to BOG n definitely the best for the Bushies ( defenders rarely rate a mention ) who were under the pump most of the game. Kid reads the play bloody well, composed as you'd like under the incoming n looks decidedly dodgy while kicking the ball, but if he doesn't over reach with his disposal efforts is fairly tidy with his kicking.

Don't know massive amounts about the junior kids coming through, but I've got a feeling this ones slipped a bit in the draft simply because he doesn't look that pretty kicking the footy.

Just did a quick peek at the Gas for a fun comparison.
Gas 193 cm 90 kg. Number one draft pick 200 plus games dual All Australian, club BnF. Couldn't kick worth *smile* to save himself. If Garp has half of Gas's career at pick 72 we've bloody done alright.
I'm happy to be a fan until he proves he's no good. Matter of fact, I hope he's better than Gas.

He has a horrible looking kicking action BUT he guides the ball to foot very quickly and he hit targets under pressure in the clip. It's not a high type action ala McGuane.

I think it has a chance to stand up at AFL level.

Garthwaite has a plan for the ball. Sometimes the plan is inspired. The handball at 1:05 is the one I vividly remember. He's got a plan.

[youtube=560,315]NlzDsNbO8xk[/youtube]

I like his kicking style. Picks a target, drops the ball on his boot and watches it all the way. Everytime. Just doesn't look like everyone else.

Dyer'ere said:
Garthwaite has a plan for the ball. Sometimes the plan is inspired. The handball at 1:05 is the one I vividly remember. He's got a plan.

[youtube=560,315]NlzDsNbO8xk[/youtube]
Perhaps he will share it with the coach, he's looking for one.

3 things that i found different with Ryan's kicking style " not going to say its wrong but its different'

1. As most have picked out its a 2 handed ball drop
2. He drops the ball from lower down than the usual footballer ( which is probably why he is accurate )
3. He doesnt kick through the ball , His leg doesnt go far back and he actually kind of jabs the ball than kicks through it with the front of his foot, Looks as though he is just guiding the ball onto his navicular.

I was always taught to bring my foot back and to kick through the ball and further down. But he is effective so

HR said:
I like his kicking style. Picks a target, drops the ball on his boot and watches it all the way. Everytime. Just doesn't look like everyone else.
From what I just watched he should be an immediate replacement for Taylor Hunt

HR said:
And takes three minutes. Still, that's the only reason he lasted so long.

Gotta be called Daryl, doesn't he?

Only one mans assessment but here is a full profile:

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/player/ryan-garthwaite/

caesar said:
Only one mans assessment but here is a full profile:

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/player/ryan-garthwaite/

Interesting comment at the bottom Caesar. Guy believes he is now 194 and should play CHF as has the runs on the board as a junior there.

So he has kicked a lot of goals from CHF prior to TAC (very accurate too by all accounts).
He has now done his mandatory time playing in the back line in the TAC to develop that side of his game.

If he is a natural CHF then maybe Dimma can now play & develop him as a CHF.

tha8ball said:
A scorecard of 149.24 in 2 seasons is a fair case for!!

A good mark, a funny kicking style but very accurate shot at goal. He can be our Warwick Capper.

spook said:
And takes three minutes. Still, that's the only reason he lasted so long.

Gotta be called Daryl, doesn't he?

Darylbraithporter......otherwise just call him Sherbet.