Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
craig said:
Funny you say that Gaspar used to be pretty reliable when in front of goal too wasnt he ?

Yeah but that was usually Gaspar's boot that came flying off with the ball when he was having a shot!

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Garthwaite is like a hybrid cross of D.Fletcher & J.Trengove which might not be a bad thing.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Sure kickinglooks strange but very similar to Taylor Hunt when short passing, Very effective as others mentioned he doesnt miss a target and he was top 3 in the goal kicking test at the combine - So long as he is effective thats all that matters really (handball also looks effective and excellent marking plays taller than his 193cm height)

More interested in his speed,agility and endurance

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Good mark, accurate kick when he has a little bit of time, good with the quick hand-off - sounds like a perfect forward to me

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Francis Jackson said we think we can rectify his kicking action. Wasnt this guy in the GWS academy? They've got the best development team going around hey we are going to fix his kicking?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
BrisTiger24 said:
Francis Jackson said we think we can rectify his kicking action. Wasnt this guy in the GWS academy? They've got the best development team going around hey we are going to fix his kicking?

Apparently his kicking effectiveness is pretty good. Action is important but not everything. Some have great kicking actions but can't kick for their life. I say let's see how he goes. Pick #76. Perspective needed.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
zippadeee said:
We are the opposite. We bag the sh!t out them and if they turn out to be any good we all jump on the back wagon, otherwise we say "we all knew he was sh!t"

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

asian tetley

Tiger Superstar
Jul 5, 2012
Blind Charlie said:
Garthwaite is like a hybrid cross of D.Fletcher & J.Trengove which might not be a bad thing.

Reminds me of a little like Dustin Fletcher.
Does have an awkward kicking action but after watching his highlights reel, looks like he finds his targets.
Looks like our best pick from last night IMO.

Pappy

Tiger Rookie
Mar 16, 2013
The kid was in the top four at the AFL Draft combine for the clean hands test (hand balling).
Ironically enough, give his slightly awkward kicking action, he finished 6th in the Goal Kicking test, so while his kicking is questionable, he' knows how to use it to effect. He's no John Butcher, put it that way.
Also, I just watched the Judd vs OLoughlin match again and he certainly neutralised Josh Battle (StK). Can you imagine this kid with the best mentor in the league in Rance in about 3 years time. Oh....and Leipeitch was a pretty handy defender to learn off. Garthwaite will be a very solid pick for us in a few years time, given his low draft selection.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, it's a terrible action but he's so deliberate over the ball he ends up pretty efficient. A little bit too much air with his kicks but knowing the RFCs development record he,ll overcome that.......

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
turk-d-tiger said:
Sure kickinglooks strange but very similar to Taylor Hunt when short passing, Very effective as others mentioned he doesnt miss a target and he was top 3 in the goal kicking test at the combine - So long as he is effective thats all that matters really (handball also looks effective and excellent marking plays taller than his 193cm height)

More interested in his speed,agility and endurance
Clean hands test 28/30 and Goal kicking test 25/30. Good enough for everyone?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
CC TIGER said:
I see a bit of Grimes in him

He shortpasses likes Grimes for sure.

Absolute fallacy to think they can rectify his kicking. He is slow hand-to foot and that will be a major negative in trying to make it at the top level.