Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
It's no different to the Reece McKenzie pick two years ago.

Taking a punt on a key position player who has a massive question mark.

If it comes off, you get a quality third tall who can play tall or small. If it doesn't it's a late pick that had a low chance of success anyway.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Tigers of Old said:
Not sure goal kicking is all that relevant for a defender. How did he go in the field kicking test?

Been said he was the best one on one defender in the country for his age.

In saying that I've also read he has been a very good junior forward kicking something like 84.10 in a season.

Personally with Truck, Rance and Leppa i would back the kid in to make it, his hands and marking look exceptional

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
SCOOP said:
It's no different to the Reece McKenzie pick two years ago.

Taking a punt on a key position player who has a massive question mark.

If it comes off, you get a quality third tall who can play tall or small. If it doesn't it's a late pick that had a low chance of success anyway.

Well said Scoop, and a pick/ risk worth taking in the 70s IMO.

I am pretty sure Sir Rancealot wasn't the best kick going around for the first few years of his AFL career, and while not at the top of the list, he usually gets the job done.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Kicking style looks strange but it should be ok as he actually guides the ball well onto the boot. Jimmy Krakour like.

Don't underestimate the ability to read the flight and win aerial contests as a defender

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Just some key TAC stats for Garthwaite.

Kicking Efficiency - 71% (short kick, long kick ratio 1:1)
Disposal Efficiency - 74%
Average Disposals - 16.6

State Carnival - DE 88% from 2 matches although only averaged 9 disposal & 2 kicks a game.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Spoke to a Bushie this morning about RG, he said he has worked extremely hard on his kicking and it's improved a heap even though it still looks shithouse, basically said kicks a lot better then it looks and loves the contest, rarley gets beat.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
CC TIGER said:
Spoke to a Bushie this morning about RG, he said he has worked extremely hard on his kicking and it's improved a heap even though it still looks sh!thouse, basically said kicks a lot better then it looks and loves the contest, rarley gets beat.

That will do me CC.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
CC TIGER said:
Spoke to a Bushie this morning about RG, he said he has worked extremely hard on his kicking and it's improved a heap even though it still looks sh!thouse, basically said kicks a lot better then it looks and loves the contest, rarley gets beat.

So is he from Lavington or Corowa Corn Chips?

tonemaster

Tiger Rookie
May 10, 2005
There's a theory that it's best to recruit backmen on your speculative picks because often a backman's talents are not as immediately apparent in their younger days. Easier to get bargains.

Certainly seems to have been the case with Rance and Grimes.

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
asian tetley said:
Yep.
Kicking skills should be the first requirement.
Clearly a mistake to recruit players with questionable kicking.

If a player cannot read the play or find the ball you will find his kicking becomes irrelevant.

It is pick 72 after all - this comes with trade offs somewhere. I'd far prefer a player who can racked up possessions and needs to work on his kicking, than one who is a great kick but doesn't know how to find the football. Kicking style you can work on - teaching someone to readi the play is much much harder. Remember Rance when he was drafted had a terrible kick - he is much improved now because he worked on his kicking.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Like how he goes about it but I can't ever remember a kicking action like that!

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
easy said:
24 possys and 9 marks as a backman in the TAC granny.

I love those type of numbers on those types of occasions.
He's got very positive stats and at pick 72 what have you got to lose

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
tigerdave said:
Like how he goes about it but I can't ever remember a kicking action like that!

Looking at it again it's not that bad.

A late release that's all.

Very strong in the air especially at pack situations.Like it!

E

easy_tiger

Great players with horrible looking kicks?

David Cloke, Daz Gaspar, Baz Round, Wakka Capper. Yeah, they are uncommon.

Horrible players with great looking kicks?

well, we dont really need to go into this, do we?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
easy said:
Great players with horrible looking kicks?

David Cloke, Daz Gaspar, Baz Round, Wakka Capper. Yeah, they are uncommon.

Horrible players with great looking kicks?

well, we dont really need to go into this, do we?

You could add Justin Madden to that list.