Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Agree with the sentiment about having a crack
Just don't think he is the player that should be running past to take a handball
Would have preferred he just play to his limits

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
If we only had one of our core defenders out, we could have probably got away with Garthwaite going in to fill a gap. But he’s been exposed in the last few weeks as just a battler.

Kicking style means he can’t move it quickly on the run. Dour defensively but drops too many marks. Gets A for effort & undoubtedly tries hard but VFL player and that’s it.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
You don't get drafted and spend 4-5 years on an AFL list if you have no ability.
He's an inbetween height, and a yard or 2 too slow, and I can't believe that no-one took him aside as an 8 year old, and taught him how to kick.
Still he's played 13 more AFL games than me, for the club I love, so props to him.

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You don't get drafted and spend 4-5 years on an AFL list if you have no ability.
He's an inbetween height, and a yard or 2 too slow, and I can't believe that no-one took him aside as an 8 year old, and taught him how to kick.
Still he's played 13 more AFL games than me, for the club I love, so props to him.
I agree, he's too short, too slow, can't kick, I'd throw in not a good enough mark for the type of player he needs to be, but apart from that he is a star.

• Haha

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
To be fair though he's great in most facets of the game Snake. It's just kicking, marking, handballing and defending that he needs to improve.
Harsh. Plenty of worse AFL players and we were playing him up forward in the VFL before his promotion.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I agree, he's too short, too slow, can't kick, I'd throw in not a good enough mark for the type of player he needs to be, but apart from that he is a star.
Never said he was a star, just recognising him for what he has achieved in AFL footy, which is more than me, and probably 90% of posters on here.

Reactions: 2 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I'd keep him on the list as backup for our defence and as a VFL player, but he's certainly not the long term answer down back.

His kicking can be neat, but his kicking action makes his kicks predictable for the opposition. Its too ridgid and requires him to turn his whole body in the direction he's aiming for, making him easy to read.

I like him because he's tough as nails and runs like buggery, but he's not quite AFL standard.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Never said he was a star, just recognising him for what he has achieved in AFL footy, which is more than me, and probably 90% of posters on here.
99.9999% realistically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Tries hard but not AFL level. Not his fault. We’ve got injuries and he’s our last line.

But we gotta get better players in regardless. We can’t go back to the Bullus and Laffy ways of relying on under talented battlers who “have a go” but are badly outclassed at the premium level.

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
I don't think Garthwaite is our problem atm. He's no Vlaustin, Broad or Balta but done a reasonable job in their absence.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tries hard but not AFL level. Not his fault. We’ve got injuries and he’s our last line.

But we gotta get better players in regardless. We can’t go back to the Bullus and Laffy ways of relying on under talented battlers who “have a go” but are badly outclassed at the premium level.
:mhihi Memories....being a retro round they flashback again.