Poll: Is it too early to call "Season Over?" | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Poll: Is it too early to call "Season Over?"

Poll: Is it too early to call "Season Over?"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I remember in the grand final years that I was confidant if were less than five goals down at 3/4 time, that we would run over the top of any side and win.

This year other teams are running over the top of us.

Not sure why?

We have a lot taller slower team in than then.

Also less players in their physical prime - either older or younger.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I am very close to calling it. I’m not convinced we can even beat the eagles in Perth. Our midfield is very poor.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Even if it wasn’t already season over we would be out in straight sets in any finals showing. We are one dimensional and all the good teams know how we play and can counter.
Our only response to an opposition surge is to bring on a VFL quality sub to change things up.
Dimma really needs to go to Bunnings to find some different tools.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I am very close to calling it. I’m not convinced we can even beat the eagles in Perth. Our midfield is very poor.

Agree. Can see the Eagles pulling it together for this game at home against a struggling opponent. That would definitely be season over.

Not a bad thing, I just hope Dimma acknowledges it and we have a push to get experience into the kids

RCD plays a month so we can make a call
Miller same
Biggie plays for experience
Combo plays to see what he can do
Martyn plays midfield and we see what he can do
MRJ gets the rest of the season.

Worst outcome is we end up with an early pick plus Norf's 2nd rounder and an early 2nd rounder of ours. Could have 3 picks in first 25

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Agree. Can see the Eagles pulling it together for this game at home against a struggling opponent. That would definitely be season over.

Not a bad thing, I just hope Dimma acknowledges it and we have a push to get experience into the kids

RCD plays a month so we can make a call
Miller same
Biggie plays for experience
Combo plays to see what he can do
Martyn plays midfield and we see what he can do
MRJ gets the rest of the season.

Worst outcome is we end up with an early pick plus Norf's 2nd rounder and an early 2nd rounder of ours. Could have 3 picks in first 25

We need selection integrity as well BT. On form RCD, Martyn and Miller don't deserve games. We should be pushing forward guys that do deserve them.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's always interesting to hear Jonathan Brown's example of a premiership team that starts falling. Always mentions this on OTC and it looks like we've reached the equivalence of Brisbane in 2006 after their 2001- 03 threepeat and 2004 runner up in the GF. We just have to grit our teeth and wait again.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
I think it's definitely over in terms of playing finals. We needed a good early run with all of older guns which just hasn't happened.

We need to try the kids where possible but only the ones we think can make it. The problem is the midfield kids aren't very good. The capable fringe kids like Mansell are in the spots we have good coverage in.

As an aside how does a kid like Dow get to AFL level and not be able to kick at all on his non preffered foot? Surley as a full time athlete he would be able to not look like someone picking up a football for the first time. A country twos player would have been embarrassed.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
We need selection integrity as well BT. On form RCD, Martyn and Miller don't deserve games. We should be pushing forward guys that do deserve them.
Yeh, Miller shouldn't get a game on form. He remids me of Dave Gourdis at times, great athlete, average footballer. Can't see him making it.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Yeh, Miller shouldn't get a game on form. He remids me of Dave Gourdis at times, great athlete, average footballer. Can't see him making it.

Miller hasn't done anything wrong and shown a bit. Much better than Gourdis. Accept he is not a superstar but reckon he can hold down a key post in the backline and that would be a bonus.

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Our next 4 games are definitely winnable. That would put us back on track.

Adding in these six players fully fit and we not only can make the top 8 but also give it a real crack in September.

Martin
Grimes
Pickett
Soldo
Lambert
Stack

No way am I joining the darksiders and nervous Nellies just yet!

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
season over? but there's 16 rounds to go ...

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
We have a lot taller slower team in than then.

Also less players in their physical prime - either older or younger.
Can't argue but I think we look slower than we are. Our tackling technique is off; ineffectual or costing us frees against and we're not being awarded frees we should. This is running us ragged expending significant effort and giving competitors time and space. I think it also explains part of the "fitness" issue we're seeing. If we can get this sorted I think we'll look a lot better. Additionally F50 is not as dynamic as it should be or at least our plan is too predictable to the contest. I'd support an injection of small/mids ala genesis of 2017.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think it's definitely over in terms of playing finals. We needed a good early run with all of older guns which just hasn't happened.

We need to try the kids where possible but only the ones we think can make it. The problem is the midfield kids aren't very good. The capable fringe kids like Mansell are in the spots we have good coverage in.

As an aside how does a kid like Dow get to AFL level and not be able to kick at all on his non preffered foot? Surley as a full time athlete he would be able to not look like someone picking up a football for the first time. A country twos player would have been embarrassed.
That kick was horrible, but I think that is an exaggeration. He was told to play on when he wasn't ready, didn't know which option to kick to (panicked if you ask me) then realise he was about to get tackled. I'd like to see him kicking on his left in a warm up to see if that was an aberration or whether he's a right footed Greg Tivendale.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
That kick was horrible, but I think that is an exaggeration. He was told to play on when he wasn't ready, didn't know which option to kick to (panicked if you ask me) then realise he was about to get tackled. I'd like to see him kicking on his left in a warm up to see if that was an aberration or whether he's a right footed Greg Tivendale.
You might be right. Let's hope he was off balance.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
If we lose to West C then its officially over - hence why I'd be playing Dusty this week.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Yep can't stand talk of giving players 6 weeks etc. guaranteed.
But the issue is the jump from VFL to AFL is massive these days. Plus 2 years with virtually no VFL. I just think players need blocks of games to see whether they can adjust to the level. The second one should be guaranteed but from there I accept we should expect to see improvement/adjustment each week to secure further games

Platinum member

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 30, 2015
Reservoir
We can easily be 6-4 or I think worse case 5-5 with a fit dusty and grimes back..

I’ve seen us do very good things from about that record midway through the year…