PRE 2014 Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2014 Phantom Draft

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
Tigers of Old said:
The Giants are being given a lot of time by the AFL.

Whatever the Giants want, the Giants get. They're the AFL's perfect little angel :hihi

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Tigers of Old said:
The Giants are being given a lot of time by the AFL.

Yes, message has been sent, I will allow another 2 hours then it's time to move on.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
As a reminder to all participants, if you are unable to be by your electronic device then send me a PM with your preferences in rank order, it will really speed things up.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Pick 4 GWS Giants:
Peter Wright, 203cm, 102kg.

A ready made replacement for Patton + Boyd who can pinch hit in the ruck and help cover the loss of Giles.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Apologies for my tardiness, even those who have been canonised aren't immune from exams.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Hawks built a generation of success around getting Roughead and Franklin. The Pies already have Darcy Moore put away. The Pies look to replicate that in 2014.

Pick 5- Sam Durdin - West Adelaide.

Write up to come.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Back to back picks for the Lakemba Giants.

Even though we lost Kristian Jaksch and considered Jake Lever, we like the inclusion of Joel Patfull and are encouraged by the likes of Davis, Buntine, Corr and Plowman and the versatility of Tomlinson.

We looked at our midfield and realised we had a lot of good inside ball winners (Treloar, Shiel, Griffen, Ward, Greene, Coniglio) but lacked a bit of polish on the outside aside from Kelly and Whitfield.

So without further ado:

Pick 6 GWS Giants:
Jayden Laverde, 189cm, 82 kg.

A Jack Macrae-type, tall, athletic with great skills. Will learn his craft on a half forward flank and the wing, and then graduate to the midfield rotation.

Pick 7 GWS Giants:
Paul Ahern, 181cm, 77kg.
A smooth mid/forward, who will initially play up forward and rolling through the middle a la Dev Smith. Great goal sense, and can play inside and out.

We also considered Weller and Pickett for 7, but thought that the 'go home' factor was a bit too strong.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
With Pick 8 Gold Coast Suns Select Lachlan Weller from Southport 181cm 74kg

Medium midfielder who has pace, poise and neat disposal by hand and foot.

Welcome to The Suns Lachlan you get to stay home on the Gold Coast

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
SCOOP said:
The Hawks built a generation of success around getting Roughead and Franklin. The Pies already have Darcy Moore put away. The Pies look to replicate that in 2014.

Pick 5- Sam Durdin - West Adelaide.

Write up to come.

Wow - Didnt see this coming

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
Pies obviously taking Moore at 9 so tigertim is up for the Cats at 10

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Sorry for my tardiness guys.

Geelong are now happy to say we let Varcoe go to Collingwood as we knew we,d get a better replacement.....Jarrod Pickett!

180cm from South Fremantle. Pickett will excite with his speed and knack for producing eye-catching moments. His pace is the central element to his game: he runs a 2.81 second 20-metre sprint and he knows it, regularly bursting out of stoppages, taking a couple of bounces and delivering the pass. He's just as likely to take a big mark, land on his feet and then bolt off.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
11. WCE- Jake Lever
193cm 84kg

While the weagles werent looking for a key defender, Lever is too good to pass up. He will be a good addition to the backline looking to replace Darren Glass.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
12. Richmond - Nakia Cockatoo (Northern Territory Thunder)
186cm, 86kg

If someone was offering up a prototype athlete ready for AFL programming then they may well call it Nakia Cockatoo. For all the science that goes into profiling future footballers, we've gathered up an awful lot of raw data on what works & what doesn't. Pace & explosiveness must sit firmly at the top of the wishlist, it's what has driven Hawthorn to back to back flags, it's seen Port Power go from cellar dweller to genuine premiership threat and it has been a common denominator in the past 4 grand final victories.

It comes as no surprise that Richmond is suffering from a severe case of pace deficit disorder, we've seen Matty White depart the scene and it has left a significant hole in the list. In choosing Nakia Cockatoo the Richmond brains trust has made the decision to strike early and ensure it gets at least one fleet footed runner as pick 33 in no way guarantees it will be able to address this glaring deficiency.

Just looking at what Nakia brings to the table I'll start by focusing on his combine numbers. His sprint results, particularly the repeat sprint test in which he finished first, indicate that his ceiling as a prime mover is through the roof. He is a power athlete and these types rarely drift out of the top 10, Nathan Freeman being a classic example last year. Having such explosive acceleration cannot be underestimated, it provides a get out clause against the taggers, it allows the team to bust up tight zonal defenses and it creates an air of unpredictability in the team's game plan.

To add to Nakia's athletic arsenal is his impressive leap & agility, he presents as the perfect utility, able to be utilised anywhere on the park. During his apprenticeship with NT Thunder and the AIS, he has been used in a variety of positions, a fact that should not go unnoticed in terms of his application & willingness to learn. Both his coaches at the AIS and Thunder have given him glowing endorsements, this has also been backed up by Chris Scott & those in the know down at Arden St.

When making this decision my two main queries were his stress fracture diagnosis and his aerobic capacity, on the both counts he has come up smelling of roses. Unlike Trengove he has a clean bill of health with his foot, his recovery has been outstanding and it is a credit to him that he's managed to perform like he did in the curtain raiser on grand final day. His endurance is also sound, he ran a 13/9 beep which is good for a player who has had limited preparation, it also points to a footballer who has plenty of room improvement.

Now perhaps the most important consideration is whether Nakia can play football. From the 100 minutes I have at my disposal I can categorically say he has all the weaponry necessary to make it as a quality midfielder, perhaps even a great one. His evasiveness is top shelf and there are even shades of Dustin Martin in the way he bullocks through packs and fends off all comers. The opposition may have been relatively weak but the flare is there and his body type has the makings of a formidable run and carry battering ram. As for his kicking, he blitzed at the combine, he's genuinely dual-sided and he has good depth and accuracy. The combine may not be the most reliable measure but in this case I'm ticking off several critical boxes.

So what could we expect from Nakia Cockatoo is his first year? Well I think he is ready for AFL football, it won't necessarily be easy street but I would hope that he gets a small taste to sharpen the appetite. He still presents as a developmental player but I see no reason why the club can't turn him into the next Brad Hill success story. As a club I think we are now in a position to take on elite athletes and develop them into top level footballers. If we are any chance to match it with the true powerhouses then this isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
188cm, 84kg

If someone was offering up a prototype athlete ready for AFL programming then they may well call it Nakia Cockatoo. For all the science that goes into profiling future footballers, we've gathered up an awful lot of raw data on what works & what doesn't. Pace & explosiveness must sit firmly at the top of the wishlist, it's what has driven Hawthorn to back to back flags, it's seen Port Power go from cellar dweller to genuine premiership threat and it has been a common denominator in the past 4 grand final victories.

It comes as no surprise that Richmond is suffering from a severe case of pace deficit disorder, we've seen Matty White depart the scene and it has left a significant hole in the list. In choosing Nakia Cockatoo the Richmond brains trust has made the decision to strike early and ensure it gets at least one fleet footed runner as pick 33 in no way guarantees it will be able to address this glaring deficiency.

Just looking at what Nakia brings to the table I'll start by focusing on his combine numbers. His sprint results, particularly the repeat sprint test in which he finished first, indicate that his ceiling as a prime mover is through the roof. He is a power athlete and these types rarely drift out of the top 10, Nathan Freeman being a classic example last year. Having such explosive acceleration cannot be underestimated, it provides a get out clause against the taggers, it allows the team to bust up tight zonal defenses and it creates an air of unpredictability in the team's game plan.

To add to Nakia's athletic arsenal is his impressive leap & agility, he presents as the perfect utility, able to be utilised anywhere on the park. During his apprenticeship with NT Thunder and the AIS, he has been used in various positions, a fact that should not go unnoticed in terms of his application & willingness to learn. Both his coaches at the AIS and Thunder have given him glowing endorsements, this has also been backed up by Chris Scott & those in the know down at Arden St.

When making this decision my two main queries were his stress fracture diagnosis and his aerobic capacity, on the both counts he has come up smelling of roses. Unlike Trengove he has a clean bill of health with his foot, his recovery has been outstanding and it is a credit to him that he's managed to perform like he did in the curtain raiser grand final day. His endurance is also sound, he ran a 13/9 beep which is good for a player who has had limited preparation, it also points to a footballer who has plenty of room improvement.

Now perhaps the most important consideration is whether Nakia can play football. From the 100 minutes I have at my disposal I can categorically say he has all the weaponry necessary to make it as a quality midfielder, perhaps even a great one. His evasiveness is top shelf and there are even shades of Dustin Martin in the way he bullocks through packs and fends off all comers. The opposition may have been relatively weak but the flare is there and his body type has the makings of a formidable run and carry battering ram. As for his kicking, he blitzed at the combine, he's genuinely dual-sided and he has good depth and accuracy. The combine may not be the most reliable measure but in this case I'm ticking off several critical boxes.

So what could we expect from Nakia Cockatoo is his first year? Well I think he is ready for AFL football, it won't necessarily be easy street but I would hope that he gets a small taste to sharpen the appetite. He still presents as a developmental player but I see no reason why the club can't turn him into the next Brad Hill success story. As a club I think we are now in a position to take on elite athletes and develop them into top level footballers. If we are any chance to match it with the true powerhouses then this isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

Now why cant you be Richmonds head of recruiting !!

*smile* FJ off and vote for tou any day of the week and twice on sunday ;D

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
188cm, 84kg

To add to Nakia's athletic arsenal is his impressive leap & agility, he presents as the perfect utility, able to be utilised anywhere on the park. During his apprenticeship with NT Thunder and the AIS, he has been used in various positions, a fact that should not go unnoticed in terms of his application & willingness to learn. Both his coaches at the AIS and Thunder have given him glowing endorsements, this has also been backed up by Chris Scott & those in the know down at Arden St.

When making this decision my two main queries were his stress fracture diagnosis and his aerobic capacity, on the both counts he has come up smelling of roses. Unlike Trengove he has a clean bill of health with his foot, his recovery has been outstanding and it is a credit to him that he's managed to perform like he did in the curtain raiser grand final day. His endurance is also sound, he ran a 13/9 beep which is good for a player who has had limited preparation, it also points to a footballer who has plenty of room improvement.

Please send this to the club mate !!! They might grow some Balls

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Don't like our chances with Nakia. A WCE mate of mine over here deadset reckons he will go to them at #11.

I heard they are well and truly into Pickett and most likely take Ahern if pickett is gone

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
bullus_hit said:
188cm, 84kg

I concur Bully please email this to the club. If any club can be swayed by a piece written by an educated fan it is us. Do it !