PRE Phantom Draft 2013 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE Phantom Draft 2013

bengal-tiger said:
Fair enough tigs,but you are extremely harsh on some of the better credentialed player's.
Crouch isn't a bad kick, I don't know were that is coming from,if my memory is right,l think he was aa at the champs last year,and came straight in this year,after coming back from injury,also if you can,have a look at his vfl game,he was good.
If he was playing in a tac side this year,with good outside player's,his effective disposals would be really good,but he was surrounded by a few flat footed player's.
Do you know who his VFL game was against? Whenever I see him he reminds me of Tuck. Bomb and hope, but that could be more to do with what you say about not having anyone to actually give it to which is fair enough. For some players a lot of the footage I watch is the condensed stuff, down to everything a particular player does especially for VC kids and some interstate guys. Not just the highlights but everything so it's impossible to judge some of that other stuff to do with teammates etc.

How do you rate the Sandy boys in order?

It was against frankston vfl.

The dragons do have a bit of talent this year,and have a few good types for next year.
I would say kelly is the best,and l like freeman,l think he could be a much better player,if he lifts his eyes a bit,he misses a few targets by rushing,that lack of composure is something fj doesn't like.
Salem is a very talented player,very good by foot,l think at tac level he's a good midfielder,but at afl level ,l sort of think he will be a flanker,probably hb.

Hayes is another decent player,a bit short for kp,but would make a decent third option,be it in the back or forward,he does have strong hands.

Brodders17 said:
there certainly not appreciated by me. ;D

I fully support your selections Brodders, the more midgets at St Kilda the bigger the bonfire on Mad Monday.

Brodders17 said:
there certainly not appreciated by me. ;D
apologies Brodders. Wasn't trying to have a crack. All your selections are about where they'll go on draft day if not higher. They just happen to be 3 of the 4 I rate lower than others do. Just the way it worked out. Haha

According to that site that can't be named it seems I have a couple of my ratings spot on with Karpany firming into 2nd round contention, where I have him and Hewett in the Dunstan/Dumont range late 1st/early 2nd.

Nice work Tigs, appreciate your POV.

Looking forward to your analysis of the Bulldogs picks.

WEST COAST

Pick #11 - Marcus Bontempelli
The big boom or bust pick and it's going to depend on which club he lands at as to which way he goes. Personally I'm thinking Collingwood or WC would be the best fit with all their money and resources. As this is WC's pick I can see it working for them. They desperately need some size in the midfield, which Bontempelli certainly adds. The downside is whether he really is a midfielder? Does he have a strong enough inside game. WC's development coaches will be earning their cash here.

Pick #31 - Nick Robertson
Good get. As I said WC need size in the midfield. Robertson certainly has size and he's as competitive as they come. Little bit hidden this year with his injuries. Not that I really pay close attention to the 17yo's but I had him top 15 last year of this years crop. Needs to get over his injuries and he will be a bargain in this draft.

Pick #43 - Brendan Abbott
The talent is there to be worth this pick but obviously has some issues to sort out. Wouldn't pick him if I was a non-WA team.

Pick #49 - Tom Cutler
I think Cutler is a chance to go first round in the real draft. His only downside for mine is he lacks a bit of size for even a 3rd tall defender and I wouldn't take a 3rd tall defender 1st round, but I think the talent is there for him to become a big midfielder in the long run and that is something I would use a 1st rounder on.

Pick #62 - Dylan Loo
I don't think Loo goes this year, despite his obvious talent. I'd be extremely happy if Richmond rookied him but not sure he has the commitment or drive to succeed.

Overall
Pretty good draft but risky all the same. Not sure Streak would take all these guys if his job was dependant on it. ;) But if it were to happen and the majority came off, then WC are ahead of the pack in a weak draft.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Pick #4 - Jack Billings
This is the pick I'd make if I was the Dogs. I don't have him in my top 5 but I think he's the perfect fit for the Dogs at pick 4. In the real thing I think the Saints take him and I'm not sure that's the best fit. Dogs have their hard-working, scrapping mids to feed it to Billings and I think he could excel here.

Pick #42 - Jay Kennedy-Harris
One that I'm sure will divide opinion, but I just don't see it personally. I know many agree with me and also many disagree with me, so will be interesting to see where he goes. I feel like at AFL level he's going to be a small forward and there are other better options in this draft for mine.

Pick #60 - Jared Jansen
Another really good fit for the Dogs and I could see McCartney loving him. I don't have him as a possible Richmond pick because his kicking isn't the best. But the Dogs love these big competitive beasts and I'd imagine they'd have to consider him if still available here.

Overall
Nice draft for the Dogs. Couple of really good fits in Jansen and Billings. Not sold on JKH but others like him as a top 30 pick so if he comes off the Dogs would be very happy overall.

tigs2010 said:
apologies Brodders. Wasn't trying to have a crack. All your selections are about where they'll go on draft day if not higher. They just happen to be 3 of the 4 I rate lower than others do. Just the way it worked out. Haha

no need to apologize. despite appearances i dont actually follow the kiddies so i can only go off the little i read about them.
i had misgivings picking Kelly at 3, precisely because of the comparisons to Gaff, but it is widely suggested he is the best mid in the draft so i couldnt go past him.
the next two picks were purely about getting complimentary mids. the possibility Hartung is of questionable character is just an added bonus considering i was drafting for the Sainters.

question for you, and anyone else who knows, who is the best all round mid in the draft?
it appears most of the highly rated kids are outside mids or flankers. off the top of my head the two true all round mids who could go top 10 are Sheed and Salem. Freeman maybe. is that correct?

Brodders17 said:
no need to apologize. despite appearances i dont actually follow the kiddies so i can only go off the little i read about them.
i had misgivings picking Kelly at 3, precisely because of the comparisons to Gaff, but it is widely suggested he is the best mid in the draft so i couldnt go past him.
the next two picks were purely about getting complimentary mids. the possibility Hartung is of questionable character is just an added bonus considering i was drafting for the Sainters.

question for you, and anyone else who knows, who is the best all round mid in the draft?
it appears most of the highly rated kids are outside mids or flankers. off the top of my head the two true all round mids who could go top 10 are Sheed and Salem. Freeman maybe. is that correct?
Yeh Hartung should fit in with dwarf burning nicely. :hihi

It's a tough one because a lot of the top prospects are outside and the ones that aren't IMO are guys like Sheed and Dunstan who are pretty much purely inside. Maybe someone like Acres can do both. Scharenberg I think could potentially be but he hasn't got much exposed form as an inside mid.

As someone who never sees the juniors tigs, it's very much appreciated the feedback you give (bullus - Gus & others as well).

Very happy with the summary of the Blues as well. ;D

Brodders17 said:

Pretty spot on although Acres is the one who has pricked my curiosity, if anyone has seen him at Colts level I'd love to get some feedback on his contested ball winning ability. Taylor also should be in the equation because he's equally adept both inside and out. Freeman doesn't really have an outside game and Bontempelli isn't a true midfielder at this early stage. I posted some Champion Data rankings earlier which give inside ball winners more brownie points and here it is again for anyone who's interested.

Champion Data's Top-10 2013 Draft Prospects

1 - Tom Boyd
2 - Josh Kelly
3 - Matt Scharenberg
4 - Dom Sheed
5 - Jack Billings
6 - Lewis Taylor
7 - Luke McDonald
8 - James Aish
9 - Kade Kolodjashnij
10 - Ben Lennon

Note that Salem's ordinary carnival has seen him drop out of the top ten and Aish has been ranked so low on the back of 27% contested possessions, this despite having 87% disposal efficiency.

Some interesting news has emerged re. Cameron McCarthey, he has been invited to draft which is usually only reserved for the top 10. My suspicion is Brisbane will take him at 7 which is great news for Richmond as it means a quality player will slide.

bullus_hit said:
Some interesting news has emerged re. Cameron McCarthey, he has been invited to draft which is usually only reserved for the top 10. My suspicion is Brisbane will take him at 7 which is great news for Richmond as it means a quality player will slide.

I would be shocked if Leppa reached for McCarthy at 7. Leppa has seen first hand the Richmond rebuild done through solid first round picks. Building a midfield. Adding core footballers and not reaching on the first round. Here is a out there theory, Leppa goes to Brissy as tells them "take McCarthey at 7, Richmond are going to take him at 12. Francis Jackson loves him and he nails first rounders." Thoughts Bully?

SCOOP said:
I would be shocked if Leppa reached for McCarthy at 7. Leppa has seen first hand the Richmond rebuild done through solid first round picks. Building a midfield. Adding core footballers and not reaching on the first round. Here is a out there theory, Leppa goes to Brissy as tells them "take McCarthey at 7, Richmond are going to take him at 12. Francis Jackson loves him and he nails first rounders." Thoughts Bully?

Interesting thought, you'd expect Leppa to have a pretty good idea as to who is in the frame for Richmond. What's interesting is that we've put it out there that we'll be taking a mid, and from a list management perspective that makes perfect sense. If this does eventuate I expect Lennon to be the one squeezed out of the top 10, and I expect Frank to be calling his name at pick 12.