PRE Phantom Draft 2013 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE Phantom Draft 2013

Tiger Ghost said:
I had the Lions, the only one i got right was Darcy Gardiner at 22

It is your fault I got none with West Coast.

I figured I was a certainty to get Sheed right. You have destroyed my recruiting career :hihi

tigs2010 said:
GEELONG

Pick #16 - Nathan Freeman
Freeman is one who has a lot of athletic qualities but is also one I never really warmed to as a top 10 pick and he's sliding down my rankings. I think pick 15-20 is about right for him. Just seems to lack footy smarts and his skills aren't that great.

Pick #36 - Zac Jones
On the other end of the scale from Freeman, Jones is moving up my rankings. I currently have him in the same range as Freeman and is an absolute bargain at this point. Should go top 20 on the day and top 25 at worst.

Pick #41 - Mitch Honeychurch
Honeychurch can play, but he is very, very light and is very injury prone from what I can gather. Personally I think he's a risky pick but at pick 41 the talent is at least there.

Pick #54 - Ben Brown
With the injury prone Vardy pencilled in as that forward/ruck and having lost his back-up in Trent West, I think Brown could be an astute pick-up for Geelong. Seems about the right range to nab him too as not sure he'd last to 64.

Pick #64 - Fraser Fort
Bit of a utility Fort and Geelong have gone with the local boy. Not one I'm a huge fan of but is a good fit for Geelong as they need a KPD.

Pick #74 - Clayton McCartney
I keep changing my mind on McCartney. I think he lacks a bit of speed for the role he will play but at the same time he makes up for it with his smarts and just knows how to get loose. Technically pick 74 is like a rookie pick and could be a real value pick as a rookie.

Overall
I think Geelong have done quite well with Freeman, Jones, Brown and McCartney. Honeychurch could be a good get too if he stays healthy and puts some size on. Not convinced on Fort but with his size for a KPD can see why people like him and Geelong have a need there so understand the pick.

First two are bang on. Next two are around the mark. I'll take it.

tigs2010 said:
Pick #11 - Marcus Bontempelli
The big boom or bust pick and it's going to depend on which club he lands at as to which way he goes. Personally I'm thinking Collingwood or WC would be the best fit with all their money and resources. As this is WC's pick I can see it working for them. They desperately need some size in the midfield, which Bontempelli certainly adds. The downside is whether he really is a midfielder? Does he have a strong enough inside game. WC's development coaches will be earning their cash here.

Gotta say, watching his highlights last night after he was drafted, the name Ray Hall came to mind.

Sounds like you're spot on tigs2010, boom or bust with this guy.

tigs2010 said:
RICHMOND

Pick #12 - Lewis Taylor
Anyone following the pick 12 thread will know I don't like this pick. Personally I'd have gone Acres, Dunstan, Templeton or Jones.

Pick #50 - Riley Knight
Now is where I like what has been done. Knight is a real competitive beast. Not the greatest skills but they aren't a weakness. He's just solid. He's a bit in the Rory Sloane mould for mine. Nice pick.

Pick #68 - Alex Spina
Bargain. Would be happy with him being available at 50. Not only is he best available here or close to it, he fills a need as that half forward who can rotate midfield and has elite kicking skills that we like.

Pick #86 - Darcy Byrne-Jones
Another bargain here. Really good athlete but also a good footballer. Do we need another rebounding defender? IMO yes we do. Badly. They may already be on the list but we should get another anyway.

Overall
I think on draft night I'll let FJ take the 1st pick and let Bully take the rest. ;D I've said what I have to say on Taylor. The rest would be a fantastic result for us with Knight, Spina and Byrne-Jones. All could very well be gone by our 2nd pick though on the night.

Happy enough with three out of the four being drafted, will watch with keen interest as Byrne-Jones develops, think we pulled the trigger on the SLR guys a bit early this year. As for Taylor slipping to 28, very surprised but good luck to Brisbane, it might even be a case of get some Zork off your fork as Leppa paints his blank canvas. In the Phantom, both Salem & Lennon were off the board so I had no problem in grabbing young Lewis, and would still make the same move with full knowledge of how the draft unfolded. Riley Knight to Adelaide was half expected, but I think he'll do really well being a hometown boy, and Adelaide have terrific development with their mid range picks, Grigg & Sloane being two recent examples. My one undrafted player Alex Spina should be rookied, and I would even consider him with Richmond's first rookie selection, he is a silky player when on song and has already had a taste of senior football. All in all, quite a pleasing haul considering clubs were out of the picture by the time my second pick rolled around.

Lewis Taylor #28 Brisbane
Riley Knight #46 Adelaide
Darcy Byrne-Jones #52 Port
Alex Spina (undrafted)

tigertim said:
Well, I suck at this!
I suck so much thAt my ND choices of Heavyside, Cain, Sully and Rioli didn't get drafted in any draft!

tigs2010 said:
Pick #29 - Nick Bourke
I think this is about where Bourke should sit in the real thing but I have a feeling he will probably last beyond 40 as he has a few holes in his game, mainly the contested side to his game and whether he gets enough footy. But, he also has some huge weapons and that is what I think teams should be looking at this draft. He's a lovely kick, strong overhead, moves really well and looks like he should fill out to a great size. Whilst he doesn't get a lot of it, he has hurt factor which some other guys around this area don't have. Gutsy pick but I like it.

Nick Bourke delisted after 1 season as a rookie by Geelong.

When are we doing the 2014 Phantom Draft - Can get in earl and have first Dibs on Richmond :cutelaugh

if we are having a phantom draft for 2014 count me in

I think I should be in, need to see if I can beat my record of having selected 4/5 players who DIDN'T get drafted.....

Thinking about having For a bit of fun 2014 Phantom Trading Game that we had a few years back