PRE Phantom Draft 2013 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE Phantom Draft 2013

I cant really see Brisbane taking McCarthy at #7 now they have McGun on their list :cutelaugh

But all jokes aside Doggies a chance but their pick is too good for mcCarthy
Pies - Maybe with 2 selections could use 1 of them on him
GC possibly but look like KK is on their mind

Probably Pies

tigs2010 said:
WEST COAST

Pick #11 - Marcus Bontempelli
The big boom or bust pick and it's going to depend on which club he lands at as to which way he goes. Personally I'm thinking Collingwood or WC would be the best fit with all their money and resources. As this is WC's pick I can see it working for them. They desperately need some size in the midfield, which Bontempelli certainly adds. The downside is whether he really is a midfielder? Does he have a strong enough inside game. WC's development coaches will be earning their cash here.

Pick #31 - Nick Robertson
Good get. As I said WC need size in the midfield. Robertson certainly has size and he's as competitive as they come. Little bit hidden this year with his injuries. Not that I really pay close attention to the 17yo's but I had him top 15 last year of this years crop. Needs to get over his injuries and he will be a bargain in this draft.

Pick #43 - Brendan Abbott
The talent is there to be worth this pick but obviously has some issues to sort out. Wouldn't pick him if I was a non-WA team.

Pick #49 - Tom Cutler
I think Cutler is a chance to go first round in the real draft. His only downside for mine is he lacks a bit of size for even a 3rd tall defender and I wouldn't take a 3rd tall defender 1st round, but I think the talent is there for him to become a big midfielder in the long run and that is something I would use a 1st rounder on.

Pick #62 - Dylan Loo
I don't think Loo goes this year, despite his obvious talent. I'd be extremely happy if Richmond rookied him but not sure he has the commitment or drive to succeed.

Overall
Pretty good draft but risky all the same. Not sure Streak would take all these guys if his job was dependant on it. ;) But if it were to happen and the majority came off, then WC are ahead of the pack in a weak draft.

Great analysis there Tigs.

I am obviously biased, but on paper I reckon Cutler at 49 was one of the biggest steals of this draft.

Abbott is pure x factor. Agree he will be a long shot to land at a team outside of WA, but I happen to live in Albany (where Abbott is from) and I know that

1. There are at least 6 AFL clubs looking at him.
2. He has had a lot of local help sorting things out, and Claremont are certain that if he doesn't get drafted, he will be playing WAFL next year.

Loo is a very big reach, but I think a WA team will take a punt on him for a rookie slot. I only drafted him at 62 because I couldn't see any obvious value anywhere else, and the inside word is the Eagles rated him very, very highly last year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Eagles went for a state leaguer as a ready made player at pick 62.

Streak said:
Great analysis there Tigs.

I am obviously biased, but on paper I reckon Cutler at 49 was one of the biggest steals of this draft.

Abbott is pure x factor. Agree he will be a long shot to land at a team outside of WA, but I happen to live in Albany (where Abbott is from) and I know that

1. There are at least 6 AFL clubs looking at him.
2. He has had a lot of local help sorting things out, and Claremont are certain that if he doesn't get drafted, he will be playing WAFL next year.

Loo is a very big reach, but I think a WA team will take a punt on him for a rookie slot. I only drafted him at 62 because I couldn't see any obvious value anywhere else, and the inside word is the Eagles rated him very, very highly last year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Eagles went for a state leaguer as a ready made player at pick 62.
Interesting on Abbott. He certainly has ability from the very small amount I've seen. Cutler is a huge bargain there. Likely goes before your 2nd pick so to get him with a 4th pick is huge. Loo is an amazing talent and I had him pencilled in as a ND pick heading into the year, but with him quitting WAFL for awhile I'm not sure he goes yet. Pick 62 in this is effectively a rookie pick anyway so well worth the punt there because the talent is undeniable.

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the reviews too. It's such an even draft and therefore everyone's ratings are going to be different. ie. I have Karpany rated as an early 2nd rounder and got him at 71 and I reckon bully may be in the same boat with some of his late picks? And I'm sure others too.

Whilst the club says it's a crap draft I'm sure they will be happy with whoever ends up at pick 12, 50 & 68.

bullus_hit said:
Some interesting news has emerged re. Cameron McCarthey, he has been invited to draft which is usually only reserved for the top 10. My suspicion is Brisbane will take him at 7 which is great news for Richmond as it means a quality player will slide.

It might be Richmond that drafts him

DirtyDogTiger said:
It might be Richmond that drafts him

The invites are generally for top ten although are subject to change to allow any last minute changes. There's definitely substance to this, it indicates that either picks 7 (Brisbane) or 9 (Collingwood) are strongly considering McCarthey, which would almost guarantee one of Lennon, Scharenberg or Salem sliding.

Would it have anything to do with Luke McDonald not attending ( as he,ll be on the Roos Utah trip?) so that they ask someone else to attend to make up the numbers?

tigertim said:
Would it have anything to do with Luke McDonald not attending ( as he,ll be on the Roos Utah trip?) so that they ask someone else to attend to make up the numbers?

Maybe, but why not Sheed who is certain to go at 11?

bullus_hit said:
The invites are generally for top ten although are subject to change to allow any last minute changes. There's definitely substance to this, it indicates that either picks 7 (Brisbane) or 9 (Collingwood) are strongly considering McCarthey, which would almost guarantee one of Lennon, Scharenberg or Salem sliding.
BH there is no way Scharanberg makes it past the first 5 picks.

Smoking Aces said:
BH there is no way Scharanberg makes it past the first 5 picks.

It seems unlikely but what about the Doggies at pick 4? Bontempelli could shake up the landscape, and Aish must be tempting also. Things are far from settled, Scharenberg could go anywhere at this stage.

21. Port Adelaide - James Battersby - Rookie Draft pick 24

45. Port Adelaide - Cameron Giles Carlton pick 39

52. Port Adelaide - Ben Sokol - Not drafted

70. Port Adelaide - Matt Fuller Bulldogs Pick 42

88. Port Adelaide - Kane Mitchell (rookie promotion) - Remains on Rookie List

What a mess. There's a reason I don't profess myself an expert on the kids. ;D

tigs2010 said:
NORTH MELBOURNE

Pick #8 - Luke McDonald
No choice involved here. Have him at 3 on my rankings having re-watched his VFL finals.

Pick #30 - Chris Cain
Originally I thought it's a bit early for Cain, but North seem to be going all out for a crack at top 4 with the addition of Dal Santo, so it's probably not a bad pick up.

Pick #47 - Toby Nankervis
Like Apeness, Nankervis is another I just can't get excited about. Having said that at pick 47 in this draft and North having very little ruck depth, I can see the reasoning.

Pick #65 - Sam Heavyside
Astute pick up this late. I really liked Sam last year and although I didn't follow him closely this year, by all accounts has done well. Probably a rookie chance.

Pick #77 - Matt Sully
Out Delaney. In Sully. I like it. I'd take Sully over Tippett personally. Even though Tippett has more runs on the board at state level, Sully is younger and hasn't had the benefit of being in an AFL program yet. Upside is there and IMO probably ends up better than Delaney.

Pick #83 - Willy Rioli
Nice needs pick here. North don't have much in the way of small forwards outside Lindsay and for that reason targeted Betts. Glad to see someone give Rioli a crack. I have a few others ahead of him of similar type but he's definitely worth a late pick as his talent is enormous.

Overall
Pretty decent draft for North with McDonald and Cain ready to go and Nankervis giving them some ruck depth. Sully covers a hole left by Delaney and Rioli could be a star. Can't really argue when you get some ready to go best 22 players and fill some much needed holes.
Just to re-iterate (after the non selections of Cain, Sully, Heavyside and Rioli......I really really suck at this!

Tigers of Old said:
You're not alone. Someone else can run it next year. I'm done. Fun but a waste of my time!

isn't fun the object? therefore not a waste of time

Looks like the Dogs did ok at the phantom draft :

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Pick #4 - Jack Billings WENT PICK #3
This is the pick I'd make if I was the Dogs. I don't have him in my top 5 but I think he's the perfect fit for the Dogs at pick 4. In the real thing I think the Saints take him and I'm not sure that's the best fit. Dogs have their hard-working, scrapping mids to feed it to Billings and I think he could excel here.

Pick #42 - Jay Kennedy-Harris WENT PICK#40
One that I'm sure will divide opinion, but I just don't see it personally. I know many agree with me and also many disagree with me, so will be interesting to see where he goes. I feel like at AFL level he's going to be a small forward and there are other better options in this draft for mine.

Pick #60 - Jared Jansen WENT PICK #36
Another really good fit for the Dogs and I could see McCartney loving him. I don't have him as a possible Richmond pick because his kicking isn't the best. But the Dogs love these big competitive beasts and I'd imagine they'd have to consider him if still available here.

Goodes elevated as suggested.

Overall
Nice draft for the Dogs. Couple of really good fits in Jansen and Billings. Not sold on JKH but others like him as a top 30 pick so if he comes off the Dogs would be very happy overall.