Preparing for Tasmania: RFC 2024-2028 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Preparing for Tasmania: RFC 2024-2028

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Prestia going down for 8-10 and probably retiring this year just underlines the urgency. We need a massive draft injection.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Tassie will get heaps more in draft picks, salary cap space and access to kids from other clubs.
BUT For every 3rd kid that moves to Tasmania
They will be back.
That will be Tasmania's biggest issue holding on to the kids.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Prestia going down for 8-10 and probably retiring this year just underlines the urgency. We need a massive draft injection.
Got to find out what we actually have with Brown, Sonsie, Banks and Clarke. Got to get games into them to know what we actually need. That’s step one. Step two, trade up into higher picks. Still maintain you build a midfield first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
History is a great teacher.

We have already built a dynasty list.

The bloke who built it is still at the helm.

I see us repeat the process again with a slight tweak.

We will hit the draft again hard this year. I see us again going to the well again for some moneyball players like Grigg and Houli and when we are ready to strike go hard at the trade table.

It ain’t rocket science.

Reactions: 3 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
We have 2 uncompromised drafts left before Tassie comes in. Then it will be 2 compromised drafts followed by another 3-4 drafts of trade for picks so they will still have heaps of picks.
It’s a no brainer. Use the next 2 years to load up on as many sub 30 draft picks as possible.
In short, rebuild now, take the pain and build for the future

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I think we are all under no illusion that the rebuild is underway.

I am not in the basket of turfing out all senior players and just playing kids.

But right now we need to identify the future and get them to 50-80 games ASAP.

Let’s start with
Campbell
Sonsie
Brown
Trezise
Mcauliffe
Clarke
Gibcus
Miller
Young

Play the above and support them with competent experience.

Hit the draft hard and keep adding to that youth.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Let’s start with
Campbell
Sonsie
Brown
Trezise
Mcauliffe
Clarke
Gibcus
Miller
Young

Yeah I agree smokey. I appreciate carters gung-ho, every option on the table thing with Shai, I just don't agree with it, and I don't think its necessary. We already have a few extra draft picks in the kick, its looking like a low finish so we'll have early picks, and we have some trade currency which will net some good picks and good pick upgrades without having to sell the farm.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Four football seasons. Three national drafts. 89 home and away games. To be ready.

As Smokin says, we need to get games into our youth while protecting and guiding them with experienced hands.

We will learn a lot this year. Who won't make it. Who might. 89 games to get the likeliest of those kids Smokin mentioned, plus Coulthard, Smith, Cumberland, MoJu and Bauer, into the 50-80 game range.

We're gonna have draft picks. Good draft picks. Three consecutive years of them. We're better bloody get the recruiter right. At least we got rid of Clarke.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Let’s start with
Campbell
Sonsie
Brown
Trezise
Mcauliffe
Clarke
Gibcus
Miller
Young

Agree with that and add a few others on our list to that group too, then add some high draft picks, some trades from other clubs (I'd be asking the question of Will Philips, he won't want to be playing VFL for too long) and we can have the youth in the right experience bracket quickly, to still be able to supplement players like Shai, Taranto, Hopper, Dan Rioli, Short, Baker (if he stays) and Balta well before they turn 30.

2024 and 2025 will be development years, thats about 45 games we can add to many of these guys, we just need to pull the right strings. I want to get plenty of games into Brown and Tresize, so IMO positional changes for others can drive that. Get Dan Rioli into the midfield / wing rotation, get Broad onto a wing and that opens up 2 spots in defence for them, along with Miller, Young, whilst we still have the old heads of Vlastuin, Short and Grimes to guide them.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Four football seasons. Three national drafts. 89 home and away games. To be ready.

As Smokin says, we need to get games into our youth while protecting and guiding them with experienced hands.

We will learn a lot this year. Who won't make it. Who might. 89 games to get the likeliest of those kids Smokin mentioned, plus Coulthard, Smith, Cumberland, MoJu and Bauer, into the 50-80 game range.

We're gonna have draft picks. Good draft picks. Three consecutive years of them. We're better bloody get the recruiter right. At least we got rid of Clarke.
That new recruiter will be the most important appointment we make this year.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Let’s start with
Campbell
Sonsie
Brown
Trezise
Mcauliffe
Clarke
Gibcus
Miller
Young

Agree and I think that is the clubs strategy.

Yesterday we had 7 players who were under 50 games and I read I think 4 of these were under 10 and the result was a 30 pt loss, as expected.

Your list has 9 on it but that’s around the mark - we are well and truely in rebuild mode now and injuries to our older players have reinforced it.

I thought we were an outside chance of making the 8, now I can only see close wins against teams like lol, dawks, weagles and bumbers perhaps.

Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Definitely don’t re-sign or delist/retire
Pickett
Dow
Prestia
Grimes
Cumberland- if not going to play the bloke (ridiculous he isn’t)
McIntosh ?

Only miracle saves Colina and Ralphsmith from same fate.

Consider all reasonable offers -( if they want to go)
Dusty
Graham
Baker (has to be mutual and high pick in return)
Ross
Tarranto or Hopper - unlikely any suitors or club would, but would be a win for both parties

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
History is a great teacher.

We have already built a dynasty list.

The bloke who built it is still at the helm.

I see us repeat the process again with a slight tweak.

We will hit the draft again hard this year. I see us again going to the well again for some moneyball players like Grigg and Houli and when we are ready to strike go hard at the trade table.

It ain’t rocket science.
Difference this time around is with our regeneration we won't be starting as the expansion era begins, we'll have built our next core by then so topping up won't be required.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Definitely don’t re-sign or delist/retire
Pickett
Dow
Prestia
Grimes
Cumberland- if not going to play the bloke (ridiculous he isn’t)
McIntosh ?

Only miracle saves Colina and Ralphsmith from same fate.

Consider all reasonable offers -( if they want to go)
Dusty
Graham
Baker (has to be mutual and high pick in return)
Ross
Tarranto or Hopper - unlikely any suitors or club would, but would be a win for both parties
Even a mere mention of the bottom 2 & we instantly lose the ability to get anyone across.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
RFC, R24, 2027:

B: Miller (28) Young (29) Vlastuin (33)
HB: Brown (24) Trezise (25) Smith (23)
C: D.Rioli (30) McAuliffe (22) Short (31)
HF: Campbell (23) Balta (28) Baker (29)
F: Cumberland (26) Gibcus (24) Clarke (24)
R: Ryan (27) Taranto (29) Bolton (29)
I: Sonsie (24) Coulthard (26) Lalor (21) Johnson (21) Player X (20)

Unchanged for the qualifying final.

Reactions: 1 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Agree with that and add a few others on our list to that group too, then add some high draft picks, some trades from other clubs (I'd be asking the question of Will Philips, he won't want to be playing VFL for too long) and we can have the youth in the right experience bracket quickly, to still be able to supplement players like Shai, Taranto, Hopper, Dan Rioli, Short, Baker (if he stays) and Balta well before they turn 30.

2024 and 2025 will be development years, thats about 45 games we can add to many of these guys, we just need to pull the right strings. I want to get plenty of games into Brown and Tresize, so IMO positional changes for others can drive that. Get Dan Rioli into the midfield / wing rotation, get Broad onto a wing and that opens up 2 spots in defence for them, along with Miller, Young, whilst we still have the old heads of Vlastuin, Short and Grimes to guide them.
Grimes? :help