Preparing for Tasmania: RFC 2024-2028 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Preparing for Tasmania: RFC 2024-2028

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
secondly - we have so far played 6 competitive qtrs out of 8, so right now I am still gunning for a competitive season as we are playing above a standard that I thought possible 3 weeks ago. Will we make the 8, won’t say yes but certainly won’t say no either.

our biggest issue in both games (IMO) has been our inability to transition the ball i50 after an opposition behind
balta needs to get on his skates and be a release on the wing and have big lynchy down there to at least halve the next one

otherwise the 'elite kick' that caesar said teague was calling sonsie out for a 45m inboard to a leading forward sounds pretty good too -- that can be to anyone with skates - bolton, cumberland, balta, coulthard, bauer etc.

we almost knocked off the premiership favorite according to some off a 5 day break with massive injury toll inside the game ..
but a loss is a loss and we will need to start ticking the W column pretty soon or it will be all over in may

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
on Shai - hes a star entering his prime. only a head injured list manager would trade him.

said it before Dusty, Shai, Danny untouchables and triple premiership players can be suggestively retired, but not non-consensually traded. someone like Broady may be busting to get back to Perth and Love machine may want a 5 year deal at GC and surf Burleigh each morning. But I think we dispense with Mr.Nice Guy approach at the trade table and start extracting some value picks, if thats whats to be done.

on a side-note - I was pretty involved in junior footy when GCS were granted a license and I got invited to a recruiting presentation 2009/10? . They put up a big photo of Trent Cotchin and basically said 'he's our man'. I spat out my beer and saw our dynasty flash before my eyes. talk about a sliding door.

on Tassie: I thought I read the AFL will use an entirely different list building model (probably partly so they can't utterly *smile* it up like GC did?); Tassie isn't Perth, its not that far from Melbourne and I dont think a go-home factor will affect Tigers.

I imagine Tassie would be a great place to live and play AFL footy??? close to Melbourne, but not Melbourne. Footy mad, one club island. unique and exciting to be a part of.

on our strategy - a 'good' time to bottom out for 2-3 years and load up on picks. Hit the draft relentlessly and unwaveringly. I think we timed our Dynasty perfectly, almost bang in the middle of GC and Tassie

could there be value in drafting the best available Tasmanians with the view of getting premium compo picks back for them short term?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We got Balta at 25, Shai at 29. We need to get the recruiting manager appointment right.
we also need to get it sorted ASAP so they can start scouting etc. This is probably our most important signing for some time, up there with Coach in terms of importance. Especially considering our draft situation for this yr. another "5 in 30" scenario should be the target. We really should be able to complete the core we started in '21 draft & in the coming yrs further build around that group

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
‘Hit the draft for 2-3 years’ is what I keep hearing but what if it takes longer than that?

The state of our list isn’t great.

If we aren’t gonna be contending again for 4-5 years, which is entirely possible, then Bolton does not represent value to the club. He’s worth more to someone who IS challenging, that’s just the harsh reality of footy. And business.

Why have a prime stud out in the paddock if there’s no one to stick him into?

Our assets aren’t working for us if Shai, consummate cream on the cake, the best finisher in the game, isn’t playing in a winning team.

Shai’s current value is better invested in the next Cotchin and Prestia. Now. From this year’s draft or the next.

Can you imagine if we blitzkrieged this draft, *smile* ripped the *smile* guts out of it.

Look at Posh’s potential draft haul if we hang onto Shai, then add two top-tenners.

3, 5, 7, 9

*smile*, we could go for a Fibonacci sequence just to *smile* with the AFL.

7-8 players in the top 40. A blitz like the AFL has never seen before.

A *smile* in Andrew Dillon’s shiny new garden.

And before anyone think’s I’m being too fanciful, we’re just talking about ONE player here.

Shai Bolton.

Chris Judd.

Shai Bolton.

Chris Judd.

Look how that worked out for wet coke. Like them, we can win flags with our hero then win flags off the value of trading him.

I say grab the comp by the balls. Be relevant again. Dangerous. Building aggressively.

Is keeping Shai worth it? If we aren’t contending, I’m not so sure.

Is trading Shai a controversial move that could set up a dynasty and *smile* over a corrupt competition a second time? You better believe it.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It could be done.

All based on assumed finishing positions, but lets say we finish 16th, West Coast finish bottom and Freo finish 13th (obviously people will have finishing positions different but this is a guide that we aren't far off what we want).

So our picks (I haven't allowed for priority picks here I've just tried to keep it simple), become 3, 21, 24, 37, 39, 42, 57, 66 and 68. Not a bad start.

I've speculated above to potentially trade Bakes. Freo seem like the most obvious one if he chooses to leave, lets say they use Ports or the Pies pick to do so (they won't use their own), that might be Pick 15. Graham moves to Port, they offer him a bit overs so we don't match, lets say we get a 2nd rounder (band 3), that would be Pick 22.

So we now have Picks 3, 15, 21, 22, 24, 37, 39, 42, 57, 66 and 68.

They are a number of teams that will try and trade back to gain more points for their academy / father sons. Adelaide / Carlton / Brisbane and Gold Coast are the most obvious ones currently. Adelaide will either try and trade up (I doubt they will manage to get into the top 5), so will look to trade back behind a Welch bid. Carlton a bit more tricky, depends how the Camp twins go, are they 2nd rounders? 1st rounders? This year will likely figure that out, but lets say we trade for Adelaides 1st.

Thats Pick 8 in my assumed model (based on expected finishing positions - I did a ladder predictor), maybe we trade 15 and 22 for Pick 8.
If Carlton are worried about a 1st round bid for one of the twins, they will likely look to trade back, so assuming Pick 14, maybe we can trade those later picks, 37, 39, 42, 57, 66 and 68 or a combination of them to get it.

Thats only a couple of trades and could leave us with Picks 3, 8, 14, 21 and 24 or something around there. Maybe we could try Brisbane for the other one, or we might be happy with 5 in the top 25 with 2 in the top 10.

It can be done with what we've got and not require us to trade Shai out.
That can be done without too much trouble given there will be around 4 Clubs looking for pts, we can get the it done with whoever gets us the best deal. I'd imagine we'll be dealing for more than 1 of them to get things done also.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The other thing to remember is we have two million-dollar contracts coming out of the cap in the next couple of years. Hopefully Balta will demand one of them, but Shai is already signed to the age of 30 at what - 700k? - per year. Hopefully he's still worth that post-30 but he won't be getting a mil - or if he does the cap will have risen relative to salary.

So we'll have cash to go after a free agent or two before Tassie gets them. We're still a destination club, but if we're seen to return to cellar-dwellers you can bet the 'bad old Richmond' narrative will be pushed hard by the media.
23 unsigned at the end of this yr, all bar 7 by the end of next yr. Dusty & Prestia are big deals up this yr, Lynch next yr. We'll be well set cap wise to do what needs to be done based on what we learn from this yr.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
our biggest issue in both games (IMO) has been our inability to transition the ball i50 after an opposition behind
balta needs to get on his skates and be a release on the wing and have big lynchy down there to at least halve the next one

otherwise the 'elite kick' that caesar said teague was calling sonsie out for a 45m inboard to a leading forward sounds pretty good too -- that can be to anyone with skates - bolton, cumberland, balta, coulthard, bauer etc.

we almost knocked off the premiership favorite according to some off a 5 day break with massive injury toll inside the game ..
but a loss is a loss and we will need to start ticking the W column pretty soon or it will be all over in may
Our biggest problem causing that, v Carlton we had 81 errors to their 52. Improve on that & we can really do some damage.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

ive been calling for a breeding program for years.

NRL's latest pairing could produce the most freakishly spacially aware human ever: Nathan Cleary X Mary Fowler!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Sorry Posh but this just ain’t gonna happen. Dream land.

Well Shai of what we need to crack open the top ten.
I wouldn't say it's dream land. It looks to be exactly what the club has positioned itself to do (if Baker and Graham go and we finish low). Either way, it's a fascinating year ahead.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I wouldn't say it's dream land. It looks to be exactly what the club has positioned itself to do (if Baker and Graham go and we finish low). Either way, it's a fascinating year ahead.
I hope posh is right but I don’t think we recoup that value from Baker and Graham.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Shai's on over a million this year until 2028

View attachment 22150
Got the fat contract n while it's only been the first two games, hasn't looked like earning his pay cheque as yet. Young fella's an extreme talent when he's on song, unfortunately some days his singin sounds like he's got a major phlegm wad stuck in his throat.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Thanks all. I’m enjoying the conversation. Convincing arguments from everyone. As much as I love shai…. I think 2 first rounders+ would really go down nicely about now.

If you want to make cream you have to break some cows.

Last edited:
  • Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
‘Hit the draft for 2-3 years’ is what I keep hearing but what if it takes longer than that?

The state of our list isn’t great.

If we aren’t gonna be contending again for 4-5 years, which is entirely possible, then Bolton does not represent value to the club. He’s worth more to someone who IS challenging, that’s just the harsh reality of footy. And business.

Our assets aren’t working for us if Shai, consummate cream on the cake, the best finisher in the game, isn’t playing in a winning team.

Shai’s current value is better invested in the next Cotchin and Prestia. Now. From this year’s draft or the next.

Can you imagine if we blitzkrieged this draft, *smile* ripped the *smile* guts out of it.

Look at Posh’s potential draft haul if we hang onto Shai, then add two top-tenners.

3, 5, 7, 9

*smile*, we could go for a Fibonacci sequence just to *smile* with the AFL.

7-8 players in the top 40. A blitz like the AFL has never seen before.

A *smile* in Andrew Dillon’s shiny new garden.

And before anyone think’s I’m being too fanciful, we’re just talking about ONE player here.

Shai Bolton.

Chris Judd.

Shai Bolton.

Chris Judd.

Look how that worked out for wet coke. Like them, we can win flags with our hero then win flags off the value of trading him.

I say grab the comp by the balls. Be relevant again. Dangerous. Building aggressively.

Is keeping Shai worth it? If we aren’t contending, I’m not so sure.

Is trading Shai a controversial move that could set up a dynasty and *smile* over a corrupt competition a second time? You better believe it.
West Coast won the flag 11 years after trading Judd. And only because we got gastro.

• Love

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Shai's on over a million this year until 2028

View attachment 22150
Worth every cent.

Only loser clubs like Norf trade out talent and experience for the sake of untried talent.

Good list management is about building your list with a mixture of experience and youth.

No one is saying we should not hit the draft but not at the expense of Bolton.

If we are wanting to trade Bolton why stop there? Let’s move Balta, Dan Rioli, Baker etc.

Let’s completely rip out the fabric of the club and remain dormant for another 37 years.

Reactions: 8 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
West Coast won the flag 11 years after trading Judd. And only because we got gastro.
I was thinking about Kennedy and how they basically reset to a significant extent through the trade

But yes you would hope it doesn’t take 11 years.

25 picks in this years top ten would suggest it’ll be quicker than that

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Worth every cent.

Only loser clubs like Norf trade out talent and experience for the sake of untried talent.

Good list management is about building your list with a mixture of experience and youth.

No one is saying we should not hit the draft but not at the expense of Bolton.

If we are wanting to trade Bolton why stop there? Let’s move Balta, Dan Rioli, Baker etc.

Let’s completely rip out the fabric of the club and remain dormant for another 37 years.
Baker? Yes, where do I sign. WC and Freo will pay overs

Balta? Required player

Prince? Untouchable

Bolton? Golden eggs

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I was thinking about Kennedy and how they basically reset to a significant extent through the trade

But yes you would hope it doesn’t take 11 years.

25 picks in this years top ten would suggest it’ll be quicker than that
Yes if we get 25 top 10 picks this year I reckon the rebuild will be complete! ;)

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Carts how can you say Rioli is untouchable but Bolton is a trade commodity?

I can’t really, I just value his leadership more than Shai’s I suppose. Some players you keep for fabric, he’s one for me.