President John O’Rourke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

President John O’Rourke

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
A wealthy club like ours should be out of it by now. That was what was forecast once the legal issues with the licence was resolved. The ongoing club association with pokies must be helping pay for the redevelopment of Punt Road Oval is all I can think. I’m uncomfortable with that.
The club must clarify its position on gaming.
If it's good enough clubs like Barcelona have UNICEF as sponsors. It's good enough we have gambling companies sponsoring us. If the government allows gambling and gambling companies want to sponsor sporting clubs. Open the door.

Reactions: 1 user

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Gambling
Alcohol
Smoking
Drugs
In no specific order these four have destroyed millions of lives in this country alone.

The AFL are happy to have two of them as partners in promoting their sport to society while virtue signalling on almost any other issue. One of the other two they pretend to address but mostly ignore.

We have “bring back body hair” round in Ballarat, “If you believe you’re a cat then you are a cat” round in Tasmania, “you like the feeling of self flagellation - good on you!” round in Darwin, and “go on paint yourself gold - you know you want to” round in Frankston.

Loathsome hypocrisy. My AFL.

Get out of pokies Richmond. Get out now.

• Love

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The club must clarify its position on gaming.
'Gaming' is such a weasel word. Gaming is what the kids do on their Playboxes and X-Stations.

Pokies aren't even gambling, like backing a horse or playing Blackjack. They're programmed money-strippers. They are the perfect symbol of the continued transfer of wealth from the masses to the already-wealthy. Australia should change its Coat of Arms to an emu and a kangaroo feeding coins into a poker machine.

Reactions: 5 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Is O'Rourke any relation to Jack O'Rourke who played for Tigers 1948/1953. Played forward line & was a tough nut.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
'Gaming' is such a weasel word. Gaming is what the kids do on their Playboxes and X-Stations.

Pokies aren't even gambling, like backing a horse or playing Blackjack. They're programmed money-strippers. They are the perfect symbol of the continued transfer of wealth from the masses to the already-wealthy. Australia should change its Coat of Arms to an emu and a kangaroo feeding coins into a poker machine.
One goes to Crown Burswood for lunch with friends now & then . After lunch I head to the TAB the rest The Pokies. Win lose or draw we enjoy ourselves

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
My old boss used to go to JoR's place. His wife was a CEO of various charities.

His description was that JOR was somewhat detached from reality in terms of what "real people" want and experience.

The first day they met, it was at an office and JoR pointed out the various places he owned like it was a monopoly board.

He knows how to print money. Very successful. I just hope he has the human touch required for an AFL club and all its tribalism.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My old boss used to go to JoR's place. His wife was a CEO of various charities.

His description was that JOR was somewhat detached from reality in terms of what "real people" want and experience.

The first day they met, it was at an office and JoR pointed out the various places he owned like it was a monopoly board.

He knows how to print money. Very successful. I just hope he has the human touch required for an AFL club and all its tribalism.
I just hope he brings in money and sponsors and otherwise stays out of the *smile* way.

Reactions: 5 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I just hope he brings in money and sponsors and otherwise stays out of the *smile* way.

That is a bit harsh @spook, (any reason for it?),, I have only heard good things about O'Rourke although @The_General presents a persona that he is somewhat aloof?
No issue with someone being successful and making money, his better half is the CEO on several charities according to the G so I can only assume philanthropy is something he embraces?.
No-one will present as community minded and as caring to the faithful as Peggy and she was a great figurehead for the club, so John will need to make his own mark, hopefully he presents well publicly, his real persona soon to be revealed.

Reactions: 1 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
John O’Rourke isn’t aloof
From involvement in amateur footy many years ago to be an active participant in the Racing Industry owning many horses . The O’Rourke family is very down to earth

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
That is a bit harsh @spook, (any reason for it?),, I have only heard good things about O'Rourke although @The_General presents a persona that he is somewhat aloof?
No issue with someone being successful and making money, his better half is the CEO on several charities according to the G so I can only assume philanthropy is something he embraces?.
No-one will present as community minded and as caring to the faithful as Peggy and she was a great figurehead for the club, so John will need to make his own mark, hopefully he presents well publicly, his real persona soon to be revealed.
Na mate, just saying stay out of the way of the people running the club and the footy department, i.e. as long as he doesn't have an ego that will have him wanting to be 'hands on'.

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
John O’Rourke isn’t aloof
From involvement in amateur footy many years ago to be an active participant in the Racing Industry owning many horses . The O’Rourke family is very down to earth
So, is he gonna be a suitable replacement, for probably the greatest pres, the club has ever had, even eclipsing the great Graeme?

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
So, is he gonna be a suitable replacement, for probably the greatest pres, the club has ever had, even eclipsing the great Graeme?

Big shoes to fill but he’s getting a club with very healthy finances, a great strategy and a huge membership base. Just has to leave the place better than when he was given it and that’ll be a good tenure.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Gambling
Alcohol
Smoking
Drugs
In no specific order these four have destroyed millions of lives in this country alone.

The AFL are happy to have two of them as partners in promoting their sport to society while virtue signalling on almost any other issue. One of the other two they pretend to address but mostly ignore.

We have “bring back body hair” round in Ballarat, “If you believe you’re a cat then you are a cat” round in Tasmania, “you like the feeling of self flagellation - good on you!” round in Darwin, and “go on paint yourself gold - you know you want to” round in Frankston.

Loathsome hypocrisy. My AFL.

Get out of pokies Richmond. Get out now.
Santos Woodside ...
Killing the planet. Impacting everyone.