President John O’Rourke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

President John O’Rourke

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
That is a bit harsh @spook, (any reason for it?),, I have only heard good things about O'Rourke although @The_General presents a persona that he is somewhat aloof?
No issue with someone being successful and making money, his better half is the CEO on several charities according to the G so I can only assume philanthropy is something he embraces?.
No-one will present as community minded and as caring to the faithful as Peggy and she was a great figurehead for the club, so John will need to make his own mark, hopefully he presents well publicly, his real persona soon to be revealed.
Obviously I wrote that badly. My old bosses' wife was the CEO for charities, not O'Rourke's wife - no idea what she did.
We used to be in Nauru house - I remember my boss saying from the window like he was JOR. "See that one..... that one is mine. See over there that one....that one is mine too. And that one a few doors Down. Mine also".
My old boss was loaded, but even he was in awe at how much O'Rourke owned, and how matter of fact he was talking about his empire. It was like everyone had a property portfolio.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
That is a bit harsh @spook, (any reason for it?),, I have only heard good things about O'Rourke although @The_General presents a persona that he is somewhat aloof?
No issue with someone being successful and making money, his better half is the CEO on several charities according to the G so I can only assume philanthropy is something he embraces?.
No-one will present as community minded and as caring to the faithful as Peggy and she was a great figurehead for the club, so John will need to make his own mark, hopefully he presents well publicly, his real persona soon to be revealed.
You don't think Peggie has banked plenty herself? She isn't a paye shift worker.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
You don't try and copy your predecessor in any role. Disaster results.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Guy just putting his foot in the front door & he is getting creamed already.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Big shoes to fill but he’s getting a club with very healthy finances, a great strategy and a huge membership base. Just has to leave the place better than when he was given it and that’ll be a good tenure.
He has been part of the reason why we are in that position. It wasn't like Peggy was Margaret Thatcher and all the blokes on the board were vegetables.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Is O'Rourke any relation to Jack O'Rourke who played for Tigers 1948/1953. Played forward line & was a tough nut.
Yes they are related, cant recall the exact relationship GrandFather possibly. Met John a couple of times when he was Treasurer of the VRC, nice man, genuine, and passionate Tiger.

Last edited:

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Suggest you educate yourselves on the impact of pokie machines. North of 400 people each year commit suicide as a result of the impact of gambling, and almost always pokies. And that is before you get into the other huge amounts of harm they cause.
Getting rid of Pokies will only mean Gamblers move onto another platform.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
'Gaming' is such a weasel word. Gaming is what the kids do on their Playboxes and X-Stations.

Pokies aren't even gambling, like backing a horse or playing Blackjack. They're programmed money-strippers. They are the perfect symbol of the continued transfer of wealth from the masses to the already-wealthy. Australia should change its Coat of Arms to an emu and a kangaroo feeding coins into a poker machine.

I resent your comment

I am an adult and play Xbox (with my kids too)

PlayStation, however, can get faaaarked

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
One goes to Crown Burswood for lunch with friends now & then . After lunch I head to the TAB the rest The Pokies. Win lose or draw we enjoy ourselves
Like it or not it is gambling , I don’t mind the punt , it’s entertainment , I oft lunch at my local club , it has pokies I dont indulge but many enjoy some time there , why should they be banned for all for those that can’t help themselves , as I says you could overlay exactly same argument on liquor if that were the case

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Like it or not it is gambling , I don’t mind the punt , it’s entertainment , I oft lunch at my local club , it has pokies I dont indulge but many enjoy some time there , why should they be banned for all for those that can’t help themselves , as I says you could overlay exactly same argument on liquor if that were the case
Not sure they should be banned, but as a football club in the business of developing healthy lifestyles and strong communities, we should have nothing to do with it. I agree with your point on alcohol, it's similar, but the per capita damage done by pokies is WAY higher, in more ways, and for next to no benefit or joy.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Guy just putting his foot in the front door & he is getting creamed already.
And let's remember, Peggy would have had a huge role in choosing him as her successor. Best of luck to him, he's following a future Richmond FC Legend.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Yes they are related, cant recall the exact relationship GrandFather possibly. Met John a couple of times when he was Treasurer of the VRC, nice man, genuine, and passionate Tiger.
Uncle by an article in Racing.Com today.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Puzzling how it leaked out and very unprofessional has to be a rat there that needs cleaning out.