PSD and Rookie Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PSD and Rookie Draft

So if there is a player we really want why would we pass in psd when we have pick 3. and roll the dice and hope he is still avail in rookie draft after all other clubs get their picks.
In psd ur guaranteed to get ur man. Rookie draft maybe not. And for wat 100k diff?
If we want someone who is popular (tsitas mYbe) get em in psd I say

keepa lids onit said:
So if there is a player we really want why would we pass in psd when we have pick 3. and roll the dice and hope he is still avail in rookie draft after all other clubs get their picks.
In psd ur guaranteed to get ur man. Rookie draft maybe not. And for wat 100k diff?
That's what we did with Whitey

keepa lids onit said:

if there is someone we really want it is doubtful we would have left them to what is effectively something like pick 70.

Brodders17 said:
if there is someone we really want it is doubtful we would have left them to what is effectively something like pick 70.

Agree, I get the feeling it will be 2-3 of the guys training with us.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Just the one I believe.

A 2nd can be elevated to the primary list midway through the season.
My understanding is we can elevate the rookies at the same time. i.e. at the start of the year.

keepa lids onit said:
So if there is a player we really want why would we pass in psd when we have pick 3. and roll the dice
Maybe there's not really anyone that we really want, but are happy to have a few cheap, easily disposable hopefuls that may or may not be on the list by the end of next year. Perhaps it's easy to have a quick look at a couple of hopefuls or recycles for a year with nil expectation so we've got space available to attack next years draft, if someone steps up it's an unexpected bonus.
Could simply be the club's planning more than five minutes ahead nowadays.
Is there necessarily some reason why the club would pick a player ( Tsitsas? ) just because he's popular on an internet forum? I'd hope the club is working a bit deeper than that for recruiting purposes.

TigerMasochist said:
Is there necessarily some reason why the club would pick a player ( Tsitsas? ) just because he's popular on an internet forum? I'd hope the club is working a bit deeper than that for recruiting purposes.

I'm cooling on Tsitas, seems there may be some issues that emerged from the interview process. Quite a few of the sliders are having a skeletons drop out of the closet. Still curious to know who Frank fancies out of the juniors, Battersby still appeals despite being in the midget class.

Tigers of Old said:
Possibly but my ears did prick up when Frank said they were surprised some players did not get picked up who they rated.
Yeah that's wat I'm going by. There possibly may be a player there for us that we like.

One of the well known 'draft experts' (Twomey or Anderson) was saying that it was unlikely Tsitas would get picked up at all in the rookie draft
Maybe he has the interview skills of Brennan Huff and Dale Doback ;)

davidrodan said:
One of the well known 'draft experts' (Twomey or Anderson) was saying that it was unlikely Tsitas would get picked up at all in the rookie draft
Maybe he has the interview skills of Brennan Huff and Dale Doback ;)

Speed & character will be at the forefront of recruiters minds, it may just be enough to rule a line through his name.

What are your thoughts on Charlie Cameron Bullus? Especially disposal and goal sense

Seems like he has a bit of speed, not too small for a small forward at 183 odd cm, and looks a good tackler

davidrodan said:
What are your thoughts on Charlie Cameron Bullus? Especially disposal and goal sense

Seems like he has a bit of speed, not too small for a small forward at 183 odd cm, and looks a good tackler

He's certainly got some toe about him, and a good tackling technique, I'm just concerned about his inconsistency and his slight build. His production at Colts level was a bit low for my liking, 10 possessions and fractionally over a goal a game. For a similar type, I'd be more inclined to select Alex Spina who's much stronger overhead and a guy who has performed really well against the bigger bodies. Ultimately, I'd be looking for a recruit who can have extended runs in the midfield, and I think Spina presents as a more likely candidate.

But there's no denying that we need an opportunist goal kicker, and if we use a rookie pick in securing one, I'd be very pleased.

Yeah, Spina looks good in the highlights (most do) but i feel like we have drafted his type with Lennon, Gordon and to a lesser extent Lloyd

Just feel we need to find a genuine crumber that can kick opportunist goals and give defensive pressure
(a Betts/Garlett type)

davidrodan said:
Yeah, Spina looks good in the highlights (most do) but i feel like we have drafted his type with Lennon, Gordon and to a lesser extent Lloyd

Just feel we need to find a genuine crumber that can kick opportunist goals and give defensive pressure
(a Betts/Garlett type)

Spina has good goal sense, he seems to read the play exceptionally well but he doesn't possess that game breaking pace that you may be alluding to. Wilson is the other one who has sublime skills but the motor is lacking and he may require a couple of preseasons to show his real worth. At this stage in the game, I'd be more inclined to let the whippets spend a year in the state leagues and then assess things from there. In the meantime, I think an agile type like Spina might be the way to go, he plays more like Stevie J which is a style which can definitely work at the highest level.

Bully.

Charlie Cameron didn't play Colts. Played Seniors all year. Has the defensive game, maybe not enough offensive tricks though.

There are just so many guys with a lot of holes in their game and it's easy to get seduced because they played some good footy this year mainly because the oppo was crap. I still hope we take 2 18/19 year olds. Looks like Thomas is a certainty.

tigs2010 said:
Bully.

Charlie Cameron didn't play Colts. Played Seniors all year. Has the defensive game, maybe not enough offensive tricks though.

There are just so many guys with a lot of holes in their game and it's easy to get seduced because they played some good footy this year mainly because the oppo was crap. I still hope we take 2 18/19 year olds. Looks like Thomas is a certainty.

Correction (directed to the site that shall not be named), he did play seniors, so I guess that changes things a little. Maybe worth a punt, but still risky given his slight frame. In saying that, this is the point where you would probably gamble a bit with a junior and the crumbers tend to emerge at the deep end of the draft. If we take the plunge on Cameron then I will trust the powers that be.

In saying that, two juniors is probably an unlikely scenario, if Thomas is a sure thing, then I'd expect another state league player and perhaps one other junior. Frank still believes there is some talent, it just becomes a question of whether or not they last. I still like Battersby, players with a DE in the high eighties are rare and despite his small stature, he's got versatility and a solid build. These are the types who can succeed in the rookie draft, Collingwood has made a habit out of producing quality sub 178cm players, and I would put Battersby in that category. He didn't test at the combine but at the champs I didn't detect a player who was struggling with the pace of the game.

Is 177cm too short for Hardwick? Maybe, but for a rookie pick I think there's grounds to make allowances.

All the talk is for us to take more "smalls". I'd like to see a young ruck or a KPP in there too.