R23 team changes v Brisbane | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

R23 team changes v Brisbane

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yeah I tend to think if he hadn’t got injured , he would’ve cemented his spot in the team , but unfortunately for him he may be one of the unlucky ones now, if they think he is underdone for finals .

Every team at all times has to have a 23rd man and the reality is that a fit skipper has to come straight back.

No way would I drop the likes of Baker, Rioli, Castagna at this stage so I'd expect JRoss is our unlucky 23rd for now.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It wont surprise me if the MC spring a surprise.

im not calling for these blokes to make way, but it conceivable that these blokes could make way in the next month (in order imo)

Ross, Chol, Caddy, Baker, Bellis, Bolton, Graham, Short, Soldo,

that's essentially the current front line of our fringe

then in the reserves, these blokes could conceivably come in (in order imo)

Kmac, Balta, CCJ, Towner, Menadue, Markov, Butler, Naish, Garthwaite

that's an entire starting 18 of fringe blokes, who could all play or miss out on a senior premiership.

our fringe is as broad and unruly as a Lismore lesbian's at open mike night.

which is why we deserve to be premiership favourites.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
It’s time to make the obvious change........Chol out.........Coleman-Jones in.

Chol’s last three games,Total possessions 10. It just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Sure CCJ is not really ready in that he’ll be infinitely better next year, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Reactions: 1 user

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Listening to the injury report update. Nank still out. Cotch will be in.

Believe now Chol might be dropped for Balta. Unsure who'll be out for Cotch, maybe Ross.
maybe Towns for someone else(not sure it will happen as I think we need to match them with speed). Will be interest to watch what the MC does

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It’s time to make the obvious change........Chol out.........Coleman-Jones in.

Chol’s last three games,Total possessions 10. It just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Sure CCJ is not really ready in that he’ll be infinitely better next year, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
Agree

I reckon CCJ's marking would be invaluable, if he doesn't come in for Chol, Balta should.

Struggletown

Tiger Cub
Aug 17, 2019
The three goals of theirs he was complicit in before quarter time were three times as important.

Their first goal, started from an intercept in our forward pocket, Punt Rd end, Southern side. I was watching as everyone ran to that side, Short trailing Ryan through the centre by 10 metres. West Coast switched, came back members' side. Ryan marked on the boundary, 10 metres in front of Short, passed to Sheed for a goal. Short simply could not keep up.

Rioli's dribble goal, Short was 20 metres behind him, unable to impact.

Petrucelle goal, Short on him, managed to get himself in the way of the two rucks and take himself out of the play.

Combine all that with his usual softness, panicking, and kicking the ball to the opposition.

But yeah, nice goal.

So he came up a little short eh?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Madness. Baker has been great and Shedda showed on the weekend that he is wasted down back
ShEdwards was great down back through the 1st half of the year, and up until the last 4-6 weeks i thought he should move back. But his form over the last couple of months is as good as anytime in his career and then is no chance of him shifting back now.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Not sure why people will think Balta comes in for Chol?
The MC are not going to make drastic changes to the team.
We are in full finals mode. Only changes will be forced or to make way for Cotchin and Nank.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Chol is not going out - you don't get a stat for spoils or pressure acts and he scares the hell out of the 3rd tall defender.
He kicks straight and his tackles stick
Tackle - Pressure-Spoil that is all he needs to do.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Not sure why people will think Balta comes in for Chol?
The MC are not going to make drastic changes to the team.
We are in full finals mode. Only changes will be forced or to make way for Cotchin and Nank.

I wouldn't consider Balta for Chol being a drastic change personally. Chol's form and lack of game time 49% and 53% will surely be a concern. Lack of efficient disposals 2,3,2 in last 3 games. Lack of marks, 3 in last 3 games (1 contested in last 6). Lack of scoring (1 goal and 0 goal assists) when playing forward. Lack of quality hitouts to advantage (2 in 10, 0 in 6, 1 in 6 in last 3 games).

I think it's been long overdue. CCJ or Balta has to come in. They can't do any worse and they've both been in good form in last few games, particularly CCJ.

Reactions: 4 users

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I wouldn't consider Balta for Chol being a drastic change personally. Chol's form and lack of game time 49% and 53% will surely be a concern. Lack of efficient disposals 2,3,2 in last 3 games. Lack of marks, 3 in last 3 games (1 contested in last 6). Lack of scoring (1 goal and 0 goal assists) when playing forward. Lack of quality hitouts to advantage (2 in 10, 0 in 6, 1 in 6 in last 3 games).

I think it's been long overdue. CCJ or Balta has to come in. They can't do any worse and they've both been in good form in last few games, particularly CCJ.

Bringing in a better player can only be a bonus. Chol is getting very low numbers, hasn’t taken an overhead mark for 3 weeks and is getting monstered at the centre bounces. Can’t see how bringing in Balta is not a better option. Better than Chol in most facets of the game in fact

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Balta starting, and spending quite a bit of time in the ruck in the VFL last week, might indicate that he's being considered for the 2nd ruck position.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I can't see CCJ getting a call up. It's too risky at this late stage. He did ok in his only game v Essendon but the pressure in Round 23 and finals wont be anything like he is used to. He also doesnt bring the heat that Chol and Balta can bring (albeit he may be the best mark of the lot but will he have his timing right in the pressure cooker?)

So, for me, it's between Chol and Balta. If we choose Balta, he needs to come in this week as he needs to re-acclimatise to the pace of senior AFL footy before a final

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Listening to the injury report update. Nank still out. Cotch will be in.

Believe now Chol might be dropped for Balta. Unsure who'll be out for Cotch, maybe Ross.
maybe Towns for someone else(not sure it will happen as I think we need to match them with speed). Will be interest to watch what the MC does
Ross for Chimp is the only move we'll make I reckon. No hard feelings there as Ross still has a long way to go.

Wouldn't mind the Balta for Chol move either.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I think Balta is the better option. However the thing in Chol's favour is he is more orthodox. He is probably more predictable to his teammates. Nank would be ideal. Maybe CCJ is the better replacement if you are looking for a part time ruck and a tall marking target or dropping back.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I can't see CCJ getting a call up. It's too risky at this late stage. He did ok in his only game v Essendon but the pressure in Round 23 and finals wont be anything like he is used to. He also doesnt bring the heat that Chol and Balta can bring (albeit he may be the best mark of the lot but will he have his timing right in the pressure cooker?)

Disagree. In CCJs only AFL game he had 35 pressure act points. That's a good number for a ruckman. Chol in his last 3 games had 36, 48 and 36 in arguably favourable conditions for pressure act stats. Undoubtedly the reason Chol is stil in is he's been reasonable defensively but I don't think you lose much of that with CCJ. CCJs last AFL game was in May and he has improved immensely since then at VFL level. CCJ has been the more consistent of he and Balta in the VFL last few weeks.

Chol is going to get beaten against a top Brisbane ruck duo. This is the game I'd see if CCJ has what it takes and to reward him for excellent performances at VFL level. Not much to lose changing Chol and he at this stage, a lot to potentially gain.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Cameron is the only real danger.

Dave, Tigga and Broad can handle Hipwood, Robinson and McStay

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There have only been three previous matches between sides having won at least 8 in a row each.

YearRdMatchConsecutive
201923Rich v Fitz8 & 9
200914St.K d. Geel13 & 13
1972SFCarl drew Rich8 & 10
1898PFFitz d. Coll8 & 9

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users