Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Has anyone ever said that? You're clutching at straws. Keep on clutching
Omg, you’re a hypocritical goose. Read what you wrote three posts back. Actually, never mind, I’ve gone against my desire to not engage you, you’re not worth it.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Just watched it on the channel 10 app. Is on there until 17 Aug.

Not sure what to say. Bloody sad for Adam. An amazing man. Derserved so much better.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Watched The Australian Dream last night for the first time. Impressive documentary, pretty sad how little empathy was displayed. Sam Newman, he really is a relic. And Andrew Bolt! Maguire trying to explain his king kong gaffe was pretty laughable too.

How Goodes ended up being blamed like he did for calling out the girl was terrible. It allowed so many to show just how racist they are.

It gives me pause for thought about the language and conversations I've used and had in the past, the racist jokes and so little thought for what impact those words have. But I don't have to feel guilty about Australia's history, I just need to be aware of what it is and how it has created the situation we now live in. The disadvantage many face. And I may not be able to do much but just by being aware of my words and conversations I have I can start to make a difference. A bit like changing how we talk about girls/women can have a big influence on behaviours towards girls/women for the next generations of young men.

I know my children are receiving a much more full education in regards to Australian history and have much greater empathy towards indigenous Australians.

Stan Grant is a man well worth listening to.

Reactions: 8 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Watched it the other night @MD Jazz and found it to be thought provoking on a lot of levels.
Certainly gave me a greater understanding as to what went on at the time and the affect it had on Adam Goodes. Bloody sad.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Watched The Australian Dream last night for the first time. Impressive documentary, pretty sad how little empathy was displayed. Sam Newman, he really is a relic. And Andrew Bolt! Maguire trying to explain his king kong gaffe was pretty laughable too.

How Goodes ended up being blamed like he did for calling out the girl was terrible. It allowed so many to show just how racist they are.

It gives me pause for thought about the language and conversations I've used and had in the past, the racist jokes and so little thought for what impact those words have. But I don't have to feel guilty about Australia's history, I just need to be aware of what it is and how it has created the situation we now live in. The disadvantage many face. And I may not be able to do much but just by being aware of my words and conversations I have I can start to make a difference. A bit like changing how we talk about girls/women can have a big influence on behaviours towards girls/women for the next generations of young men.

I know my children are receiving a much more full education in regards to Australian history and have much greater empathy towards indigenous Australians.

Well put and it was a good doco.

I remember thinking about all that talk of guilt some years ago and ended up being convinced that most of the people talking about guilt were those claiming we should not feel guilt. I can't remember indigenous leaders telling us we should feel guilty, or anyone else for that matter.

Excepting those who are indigenous, we all come here from different places, and can only trace our ancestry back a max of 230 years. My family likely came here sometime in the 19th century, as far as I can tell my great grandfather would be the first relative of mine born here. So where does that leave me? After much thought I came to the conclusion that guilt is just a distraction. Every day I live in this country I benefit from the dispossession of Aboriginal Australians - if I want to take the benefits of living here I also need to take the responsibility of how I came to live here, and that means advocating for aboriginal causes so they no longer face disadvantage and discrimination.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia

Sorry for the necro bump but yeah that's exactly how i felt when I watched it. White dudes clamoring to their racist ways under the guise of free speech. The fact so many people were upset at Adam calling out a racist teenage girl over actual racism was telling.

When I was a kid in the mid eighties the aboriginal jokes were everyday stuff. We were taught they are to be feared and do not mix with them as they will steal your things. Fast forward into my twenties and I actually long term dated an indigenous girl whos brother won multiple premierships in a very successful AFL team. Her family were amazing. A family member still warned me not to let "them" around my house as things will go missing.

As it turns out a couple of months ago we confirmed my heritage as indigenous and it was a shock that my grandma was indigenous. People have since said... "what there was no clues she was indigenous?" A well kept secret that i dont really blame my parents as in the 50-60's kids were still being taken away for showing aboriginal traits or acting indigenous.

Im on the whiter shade of the tan, but looking back over photos of me as a kid and especially my mother and uncles / aunts I can definitely see it. Facial features and how brown we all looked thanks to that ripe QLD sun, even my Uncle being accepted and identifying as indigenous was hidden from us.

I also really enjoyed Stan Grants speech:

Rather than long for a wronged past, my life has been about freeing myself from it. I have no desire to be a hostage to history. Rather than perpetuating victimhood, I reject it. I reject it because it has never been the story of my family. Indeed, it is not the story of Indigenous Australia. Ours is a story rich in resilience and survival. (Grant, 2016, para. 11)

My own concept of what being Aboriginal means is so strongly associated with the entrenched disadvantage, I find it hard to separate the two, but this perspective is wider. I think the ‘wronged past,’ and the entrenched disadvantage of now, will remain a part of the concept of Aboriginal identity in future; even if we can ‘close the gap’, but this statement reminded me the present it is not the whole story.

Enough gasbagging from me.

Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Eddie trotting out all the standard, flimsy, Racists denials. Its as if they have a manual.

1. we didnt know is was wrong then, so its not wrong
2. But, but I have brown and black employees and aquaintances
3. The past is irrelevant, 'its about today and tomorrow'

I actually dont mind No.3. in this contexts because it means Collingwood has 0 premierships?

I think Goodsey, Lumumba, Winmar, Muir and every other black footballer who has endured racism over the years,

will appreciate, even celebrate, the leaked report on Collingwood.

Reactions: 1 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Has declined the Hall of Fame invitation. Wonder if he's waiting for the current AFL administration to move on? Couldn't blame him for that.

“Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately"

That bit is pretty important to be honest, very telling of his character and his intentions on the matter.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Has declined the Hall of Fame invitation. Wonder if he's waiting for the current AFL administration to move on? Couldn't blame him for that.

Doing a Kevin Bartlett? Maybe. After watching his documentary it's pretty clear he received absolutely no support from the AFL until they were forced to act.

Goodes' achievements as an AFL Player deserve HoF entry and Legend status. I hope one day he can be comfortable receiving those awards.

Reactions: 6 users