Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

Tigersub

Tiger Superstar
Apr 22, 2012
nwonash said:
For those that are not aware how the word Ape is racist term used in the 1960's to described people with dark coloured skin. It's a very low act to call someone this and is still very offensive. Cast your mind back a few years able when Andrew Symonds was called a money on the field, it was deemed racist but the ICC didn't have the balls to do anything about it.

I think Adam Goodes has handled the situation very well.

I actually felt the pain that Goodes suffered last night. My son is in grade 6 and is only 12 years old. He is a constant victim of racist taunts and bullying at school. Rather than making a stand like Goodes did last night, he walks away. When my son comes home, he generally goes to his room and cries. I know that some people are uneducated about bullying and racism. They wouldn't have a clue what it's like. Unfortunately as my son is a consistent victim, I know the mental effect it has on him.

I really felt sick for your boy reading his situation nwonash. It is really disappointing to see such a situation being not addressed by the school in question.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
premiers2013 said:
I think you may have missed the point a little bit Tigertime.

Goodes being called an Ape compared to Cotch being called Chimp are totally different in most people's view.
I can't speak for indigenous people but I think they feel the Ape comment may refer to the colour of the skin as well as the general look of the person.

I think the whole situation has been handled brilliantly by all involved and will only do good things for getting the racism message out there.

I bet anyone young or old will think twice before saying something like this again. whether it be at the footy, in the school yard, in a pub or in public anywhere.
Personally, I doubt the young girl actually made the comment with racial motivations in mind. With the bearded, hairy look in vogue, I've heard many people in the crowd refer to various bearded players as "cave man," "ape man," etc in jest. I reckon it's likely this is what the naive girl was meaning. But what this highlights to her as an educational experience is that the same word can have different connotations depending on whom it's said to.

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
nwonash said:
For those that are not aware how the word Ape is racist term used in the 1960's to described people with dark coloured skin. It's a very low act to call someone this and is still very offensive. Cast your mind back a few years able when Andrew Symonds was called a money on the field, it was deemed racist but the ICC didn't have the balls to do anything about it.

I think Adam Goodes has handled the situation very well.

I actually felt the pain that Goodes suffered last night. My son is in grade 6 and is only 12 years old. He is a constant victim of racist taunts and bullying at school. Rather than making a stand like Goodes did last night, he walks away. When my son comes home, he generally goes to his room and cries. I know that some people are uneducated about bullying and racism. They wouldn't have a clue what it's like. Unfortunately as my son is a consistent victim, I know the mental effect it has on him.

oooh this is just awful..my heart goes out to you and your son...you seriously need to have major talk the school..the principle has to be seen as extre,ely efficient and pro active in stopping all bullying..It happened to my son once,was beaten badly after a kids dad told him to beat up my son..i got on the front foot and demanded mediation between the parents and all kids involved,we got reallly positive results..anyway, i just want to say i feel your pain..racism and bullying is 100% pathetic and unacceptable and needs to be effectively adressed when ever it occurs..i hope a lot of good comes of this goodes episode

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
tigergollywog said:
I was once set upon by a guy with red hair walking a salamander. Goddam lizard-fish lovin' rangas.
Funnily enough, some of my best mates are sauce heads. None of 'em are into amphibians though.

Very Funny - next year we need a Ranga Round

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
nwonash said:
For those that are not aware how the word Ape is racist term used in the 1960's to described people with dark coloured skin. It's a very low act to call someone this and is still very offensive.

Yes I am sure this 13 year old girl was totally aware of the sociological and historical etymology of the word and had undertaken scholarly research into the subject before she coldly and calculatedly used it on Goodes. Again did she really have this on her mind when she called him an Ape, or was it the fact that he is over 6 feet 4, 100 kilograms with a very healthy growth of hair on his face. Heard lots of white players in the past called Apes and 'Gorillas' (I remember Wallet and Pagan recruiting Graham and Martyn to play on them eg 'you need a gorilla to play on a gorilla'). Sorry that Goodes was offended by it, but my sympathies well and truly lie with the 13 year old at the moment. Hopefully she'll well and truly learn her lesson and not call any players 'apes' from now on, unless they are white of course.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Tygrys said:
Yes I am sure this 13 year old girl was totally aware of the sociological and historical etymology of the word and had undertaken scholarly research into the subject before she coldly and calculatedly used it on Goodes. Again did she really have this on her mind when she called him an Ape, or was it the fact that he is over 6 feet 4, 100 kilograms with a very healthy growth of hair on his face. Heard lots of white players in the past called Apes and 'Gorillas' (I remember Wallet and Pagan recruiting Graham and Martyn to play on them eg 'you need a gorilla to play on a gorilla'). Sorry that Goodes was offended by it, but my sympathies well and truly lie with the 13 year old at the moment. Hopefully she'll well and truly learn her lesson and not call any players 'apes' from now on, unless they are white of course.

Exactly my point this is reverse racism.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Panthera Tigris said:
Personally, I doubt the young girl actually made the comment with racial motivations in mind. With the bearded, hairy look in vogue, I've heard many people in the crowd refer to various bearded players as "cave man," "ape man," etc in jest. I reckon it's likely this is what the naive girl was meaning. But what this highlights to her as an educational experience is that the same word can have different connotations depending on whom it's said to.

very well put and we can all learn from this.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm glad I'm naive enough to not have known of any racist implications in the word ape. I nicknamed a big hulk of a former Collingwood player as the ape and it was nothing to do with his colour or heritage.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
rosy23 said:
I'm glad I'm naive enough to not have known of any racist implications in the word ape. I nicknamed a big hulk of a former Collingwood player as the ape and it was nothing to do with his colour or heritage.

Yeah it was news to me as well, rosy.

Forgetting his heritage for a second, with all Goodes' facial hair and his massive frame one could make the same sort of comparison. But in the end it was a poor choice of words from the young girl (who should know better, even at 13) given its clearly a derogatory term when used to abuse someone of indigenous heritage.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Swimming wayyy against the tide here but I find Adam's reaction a bit ordinary too. Just read his transcript. He said it's not the girl's fault and she didn't know what she was saying yet he still took it upon himself to "make a stand" and label her the "face of racism". No need for pigeon holing or name calling from either side of the fence. Very disappointing situation all around.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
Swimming wayyy against the tide here but I find Adam's reaction a bit ordinary too. Just read his transcript. He said it's not the girl's fault and she didn't know what she was saying yet he still took it upon himself to "make a stand" and label her the "face of racism". No need for pigeon holing or name calling from either side of the fence. Very disappointing situation all around.

Totally agree.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
rosy23 said:

Absolutely.

I've been a bit wary to post that sort of thing as from what I;ve read it seems to be the unpopular opinion, but couldnt agree more. Goodes went too far.

Talon

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2006
rosy23 said:
I must admit Rosy, I didn't know that either and I grew up in highly populated indigenous area, I think I'll remain silent in any future social outings, just in case without any intent or agenda I offend someone! Perhaps we even bring capital punishment back to teach this LITTLE girl a lesson!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Talon said:
I must admit Rosy, I didn't know that either and I grew up in highly populated indigenous area, I think I'll remain silent in any future social outings, just in case without any intent or agenda I offend someone! Perhaps we even bring capital punishment back to teach this LITTLE girl a lesson!

Don't say anything to anyone and you will be right.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
nwonash said:
Cast your mind back a few years able when Andrew Symonds was called a money on the field, it was deemed racist but the ICC didn't have the balls to do anything about it.

This one always confused me, Symonds was called a monkey by people who had the same skin colour as him... ???

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Personally, I think Symonds does look a bit like a monkey, and I am not being racist.

And quite frankly, with the sledging the Aussiea had been dishing out for a long time, I thought their reaction was a tad cute and over the top.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Jason King said:
So the "ape is not a racial slur" crowd are claiming stupidity now ? You mean you girls/guys couldn't figure out what exactly calling an indigenous person an ape is offensive... really? The hilarity of the whites sticking together complaining about being called out is just peachy isn't it...

Grow up

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Jason King said:
You prove my point. Stupidity or ignorance ... they are just as bad.

Agree.

Adam Goodes was all class, open your eyes.

edit: and even more, your minds