Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Jason King said:
Yeah, a victim of her own racist words. You keep fighting the good fight :cutelaugh

Do you agree with Stephen Milne's comments that he feels hurt by the abuse he has received and all abuse should be stopped at games? I am sure he has copped some pretty hurtful abuse - be interested in your thoughts about others copping abuse?

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
tigertime2 said:
Do you agree with Stephen Milne's comments that he feels hurt by the abuse he has received and all abuse should be stopped at games? I am sure he has copped some pretty hurtful abuse - be interested in your thoughts about others copping abuse?

My Jamaican grandfather insured that my perfect skin is not white. I played sports to the best of my ability which only took me to the dizzy local level heights. Of which every time I lined up for goals opponents used every means possible to put me off my kick. From the envy of my skin color to fornicating with my sister, mother and so on. By fellow black players as much as any white. I used the same silly tactics myself.

I understood it to be just part of the mind game particularly in close games. No problem. I understand Michael Voss used to say to his brother Brett " My dads been r---ing your mum" to put him off.

It stays on the field and have never had a problem with opponents off the field.

My question in this whole abuse saga is how far do you want to sanitize sports. At the current rate in the not to distant future someone will be offended by "chewy on your boot"

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
rinso17 said:
Realy??
You see it the way you've been corralled to, and I'll see it as the STRONG, FAMOUS & RICH vs the weak young and vulnerable. You can huddle behind the bully if you wish, I'll stand by the victim

ah hem. That line has been used a few times through history draino. Now I know the girl was Moe-reared and only 13, so I'm prepared to cut her a bit of slack. As a matter of fact, I can remember, and regret, calling Val Perovic a 'greasy wog' over the fence at princess park when i was about that age. Fact of the matter is, Val wouldve been well within his rights to make an example of me. If you want to distort the issue so black fellas rule the world, then Im wasting the polymers on my keyboard.

I'll switch to a relevant anecdote. I played with a lunatic at North Ballarat. He was white, poor and toothless at 18. He was as mad as my mother-in-law. He was full forward and i was in the pocket. He couldve played VFL if he didnt drink and fight so much. One day, we were playing YCW, who were the wealthier boys. Private school. A YCW mother was screaming all kinds of abuse at our full forward, cause he was ugly, tough and very very good. Really nasty stuff. He had enough finally, ran over to her car, jumped on the bonnet and jumped up and down waving his *smile* around, stoving in her bonnet. She and her husband cowered in the locked car and everyone just watched in silence. I guess he was exercising the only power he had. I admired him. Not quite sure how it relates, but it seemed relevant.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
tigergollywog said:
ah hem. That line has been used a few times through history draino. Now I know the girl was Moe-reared and only 13, so I'm prepared to cut her a bit of slack. As a matter of fact, I can remember, and regret, calling Val Perovic a 'greasy wog' over the fence at princess park when i was about that age. Fact of the matter is, Val wouldve been well within his rights to make an example of me. If you want to distort the issue so black fellas rule the world, then Im wasting the polymers on my keyboard.

I'll switch to a relevant anecdote. I played with a lunatic at North Ballarat. He was white, poor and toothless at 18. He was as mad as my mother-in-law. He was full forward and i was in the pocket. He couldve played VFL if he didnt drink and fight so much. One day, we were playing YCW, who were the wealthier boys. Private school. A YCW mother was screaming all kinds of abuse at our full forward, cause he was ugly, tough and very very good. Really nasty stuff. He had enough finally, ran over to her car, jumped on the bonnet and jumped up and down waving his *smile* around, stoving in her bonnet. She and her husband cowered in the locked car and everyone just watched in silence. I guess he was exercising the only power he had. I admired him. Not quite sure how it relates, but it seemed relevant.

any relation to Mark "Jacko" Jackson? ;D

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
rinso17 said:
My Jamaican grandfather insured that my perfect skin is not white. I played sports to the best of my ability which only took me to the dizzy local level heights. Of which every time I lined up for goals opponents used every means possible to put me off my kick. From the envy of my skin color to fornicating with my sister, mother and so on. By fellow black players as much as any white. I used the same silly tactics myself.

I understood it to be just part of the mind game particularly in close games. No problem. I understand Michael Voss used to say to his brother Brett " My dads been r---ing your mum" to put him off.

It stays on the field and have never had a problem with opponents off the field.

My question in this whole abuse saga is how far do you want to sanitize sports. At the current rate in the not to distant future someone will be offended by "chewy on your boot"

Chewy is banned in Singapore ;D

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
I've held back on contributing to this thread because as old Jack would say "I won't say anything in case I say something".
But I can hold back no longer.

Before saying any more, I'll start by saying I can't stand Goodes. I think he's an arrogant SOB. And for a big guy just a tad soft, as evidenced by his knees first attack on packs.
But.
In this case Goodes is the victim - not the 13 year old girl.
Any player who removes himself from the field and doesn't sit on the bench but takes himself down the players race and into the club rooms is genuinely upset and hurt.

I'm sick of society turning the spotlight off the guilty party and blaming the victim.
It happens all the time and I for one have had enough.
So let's call it for what it is. The 13 y.o. attacked Goodes racially and she's got no excuse.
Yes she needs "counselling" (don't they all), but at the end of the day she's NOT the victim.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
^ This by Poppa X sums it up
But the girl was only copying what she'd heard.

In terms of changing culture: My sons local junior club encourages parents to acknowledge good work by both teams.
There is certainly no room for racial comments.

But would Goodes have left the playing area if his team was 2 points behind?

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
poppa x said:
I've held back on contributing to this thread because as old Jack would say "I won't say anything in case I say something".
But I can hold back no longer.

Before saying any more, I'll start by saying I can't stand Goodes. I think he's an arrogant SOB. And for a big guy just a tad soft, as evidenced by his knees first attack on packs.
But.
In this case Goodes is the victim - not the 13 year old girl.
Any player who removes himself from the field and doesn't sit on the bench but takes himself down the players race and into the club rooms is genuinely upset and hurt.

I'm sick of society turning the spotlight off the guilty party and blaming the victim.
It happens all the time and I for one have had enough.
So let's call it for what it is. The 13 y.o. attacked Goodes racially and she's got no excuse.
Yes she needs "counselling" (don't they all), but at the end of the day she's NOT the victim.

Goodes has acknowledged that he does not believe the girl said it with any racist undertones. So if he admits it wasn't racist why did he still point her out and then why did he leave the field and go into the rooms all actions he would have known would be highlighted and make headlines all because by his own admission he was called a name by a thirteen year old that he says wasn't racist.

If he believed it to be racist then fair enough but he didn't.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
brigadiertiger said:
Goodes has acknowledged that he does not believe the girl said it with any racist undertones.

That to me says that he doesn't believe the girl is racist, but that doesn't she can't make a racist comment.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
brigadiertiger said:
Goodes has acknowledged that he does not believe the girl said it with any racist undertones. So if he admits it wasn't racist why did he still point her out and then why did he leave the field and go into the rooms all actions he would have known would be highlighted and make headlines all because by his own admission he was called a name by a thirteen year old that he says wasn't racist.

If he believed it to be racist then fair enough but he didn't.

Of course he found it racist, he is just trying to publicly minimise the damage to her character. Its not about throwing her in jail or giving her a life ban its about education. The old dinosaurs can come out of the woodwork and belittle Adam all they like, but the fact remains its his right to bring this up and its for the better that certain sections of the community know this is not acceptable behaviour.

Soda

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2013
Jason King said:
Of course he found it racist, he is just trying to publicly minimise the damage to her character. Its not about throwing her in jail or giving her a life ban its about education. The old dinosaurs can come out of the woodwork and belittle Adam all they like, but the fact remains its his right to bring this up and its for the better that certain sections of the community know this is not acceptable behaviour.

On the money again JK.

And agree with Poppa, I am also no fan of the way Goodes plays at times but what he is doing is for the better of both indigenous and non-indigenous. Hope we can all learn a lesson.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
I'll buy into this debate. I once again had the misfortune of listening to Eddie (the master of ignorance) on MMM this morning explaining (along with the co-hosts to the radio show) about how a red-headed person being called an 'orangutan' is a "light hearted jest" without any consideration of the context of the comment and then going on about how the comment made against Goodes is racist no matter what without ever considering the intentions of the girl involved or the context of the comment.

Basically it boils down to this:

Insult a white/Caucasian person - It's a "light hearted jest" to be tolerated. Harden up.
Insult anyone else - Racist beyond belief and heavy punishments involved for the guilty party. Boo hoo sob story to dominate a slow news week.

Sick of the double standards.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
1eyedtiger said:
I'll buy into this debate. I once again had the misfortune of listening to Eddie (the master of ignorance) on MMM this morning explaining (along with the co-hosts to the radio show) about how a red-headed person being called an 'orangutan' is a "light hearted jest" without any consideration of the context of the comment and then going on about how the comment made against Goodes is racist no matter what without ever considering the intentions of the girl involved or the context of the comment.

Basically it boils down to this:

Insult a white/Caucasian person - It's a "light hearted jest" to be tolerated. Harden up.
Insult anyone else - Racist beyond belief and heavy punishments involved for the guilty party. Boo hoo sob story to dominate a slow news week.

Sick of the double standards.

Bit of a historical failure here cyclops. Racism is about discrimination. Can you point to all the discrimination against downtrodden read-heads? Have they been refused work? Segregated? Been refused civil and human rights by non red haired people? Have they been hunted and decimated? Made slaves because of their red hair? Or because they are white? Is there a history of maltreatment of white people by another race you can point to to give a context to this double standard?

Nope. There is no double standard here, the only person who might agree with you is Andrew Bolt...

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
KnightersRevenge said:
Bit of a historical failure here cyclops. Racism is about discrimination. Can you point to all the discrimination against downtrodden read-heads? Have they been refused work? Segregated? Been refused civil and human rights by non red haired people? Have they been hunted and decimated? Made slaves because of their red hair? Or because they are white? Is there a history of maltreatment of white people by another race you can point to to give a context to this double standard?

Nope. There is no double standard here, the only person who might agree with you is Andrew Bolt...

I'm sick of all this history crap. I'm not a redhead so I'll leave it up to someone who is to respond but who is anyone to suggest that redheads should be told harden up and take it as a "light hearted jest" whilst others can claim that just about anything said to them is racist?

How far back in history do you wish to go? I know, let's aspire to become the middle east where nothing short of a nuclear Holocaust is likely to solve, ever.

I don't care about history. I care about now. If you want to talk about history and justify current conditions based on that,then good luck and be prepared for a long battle which will go on for long after either of us is around.

Quite frankly, maybe Adam Goodes should harden up.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
When Goodes pointed out the abuser, most imaginations would've pictured the quintessential male Collingwood bogan as the culprit. That it was an immature 13yo girl quite possibly unaware of the implications of the comment, hasn't seemed to matter much.

"They're saying it was a 14-year-old girl or whatever, I don't care..."
- Eddie McGuire

The media was hungry, and the media had to consume.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Should be a great thing for the girl. More likely than not I reckon. Open up new ideas and possibilities. Do the wrong thing, get your arse kicked, learn from it and move on. Lot of weird second guessing and strange logic around here.

Soda

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2013
tigersnake said:
Should be a great thing for the girl. More likely than not I reckon. Open up new ideas and possibilities. Do the wrong thing, get your arse kicked, learn from it and move on. Lot of weird second guessing and strange logic around here.

Agree it could be a real positive life changer for her.

Soda

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2013
1eyedtiger said:
I'm sick of all this history crap.

How far back in history do you wish to go?

I don't care about history. I care about now.

Are you sick because it doesn't suit your position?

We don't have to go back to far to find some pretty abhorrent discriminatory policies.

If you cared about now you'd be concerned about the plight of indingenous Australians and the inequality faced from birth.