Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Has declined the Hall of Fame invitation. Wonder if he's waiting for the current AFL administration to move on? Couldn't blame him for that.

I would have been pretty surprised if he didn't tell them politely,

to get *smile*.

well done, again, Goodsey :clap2

One of Our Games greatest champions on and off field

Reactions: 8 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
“Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately"

That bit is pretty important to be honest, very telling of his character and his intentions on the matter.

Yes, to make it clear:

It said Goodes had told AFL Commission chair Richard Goyder earlier this year of his intention not to accept the accolade. Goodes had also requested his decision be kept private before this year’s induction event out of respect to the inductees. That function was to be held on June 22 but was postponed due to Melbourne’s COVID-19 outbreak.
“Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately,” Goyder said.
Adam Goodes has declined invitation to the hall of fame.

“Adam was clear he did not want his decision to detract from the moment for the 2021 inductees.
“Adam remains a great champion and leader of our game who has given more to our sport than he received in return.

Champion player and human being.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What is wrong with that opinion (if such an opinion can be wrong)?
An opinion is an opinion, which is fine I guess. "Honouring" someone while at the same disrespecting their wishes seems strange to me. I'm sure you have some convoluted reasoning to make it seem ok to you though - I'm just really not interested in reading it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yes, to make it clear:

It said Goodes had told AFL Commission chair Richard Goyder earlier this year of his intention not to accept the accolade. Goodes had also requested his decision be kept private before this year’s induction event out of respect to the inductees. That function was to be held on June 22 but was postponed due to Melbourne’s COVID-19 outbreak.
“Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately,” Goyder said.
So, the AFL screwed Goodes over again by leaking / or letting slip his decision before the HoF event?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So, the AFL screwed Goodes over again by leaking / or letting slip his decision before the HoF event?

I read it as he announced it now rather than it getting leaked before the event - that could be wrong though, just a guess. Main thing is he wanted it done separately from the official announcements so as not to spoil the occasion for the inductees.

EDIT you are right Baloo, the AFL announced it but perhaps with his permission?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
An opinion is an opinion, which is fine I guess. "Honouring" someone while at the same disrespecting their wishes seems strange to me. I'm sure you have some convoluted reasoning to make it seem ok to you though - I'm just really not interested in reading it.
Well it's not exactly a Dirty Harry commendation, it's one of the highest honours in the game.

It's Goodes' prerogative to turn it down, but nobody has to subscribe to the contrived drama. There's a Legend and five others being inducted.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I read it as he announced it now rather than it getting leaked before the event - that could be wrong though, just a guess. Main thing is he wanted it done separately from the official announcements so as not to spoil the occasion for the inductees.

EDIT you are right Baloo, the AFL announced it but perhaps with his permission?

I read it as he wanted it announced after the HoF inductees had been announced so that their recognition isn't judged on whether they made it in because Goodes knocked it back.

But if he changed his mind, all good.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I read it as he wanted it announced after the HoF inductees had been announced so that their recognition isn't judged on whether they made it in because Goodes knocked it back.

But if he changed his mind, all good.

yeah, not sure... you could be right Baloo.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Well it's not exactly a Dirty Harry commendation, it's one of the highest honours in the game.

It's Goodes' prerogative to turn it down, but nobody has to subscribe to the contrived drama. There's a Legend and five others being inducted.

Yep, so if you aren't interested in Goodes then take your leave and focus on the inductees.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Easily deserves entry so if he's been voted in, put him in. If Goodes doesn't want to attend the function then so be it.

It is not about attending the function, it is about not accepting the award at all, at least for the time being. You can't put him in the Hall of Fame if he is refusing the accolade.

You well know this, but I figure that didn't give you an angle to have a go at Goddes' decision. So be it.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It is not about attending the function, it is about not accepting the award at all, at least for the time being. You can't put him in the Hall of Fame if he is refusing the accolade.

You well know this, but I figure that didn't give you an angle to have a go at Goddes' decision. So be it.
It's just adding his name to the list. Nobody asked Vic Thorp if he wanted to be an Immortal.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It obviously leaked out.
“Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately."
Pretty hard to keep it secret. He's eligible after five years and someone is going to ask why Goodes wasn't straight in.