REST OF THE SEASON | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

REST OF THE SEASON

A premiership will still be worthwhile but there is no emotion in the game at the moment.
I can’t get as interested as normal no matter how hard I try. No crowds makes it feel like a practice match.
I also think the shorter quarters hurt us badly. We grind teams down with relentless pressure and to a large extent that has been taken away.
I reckon this year is going to throw up some unusual finalists and results which will be one offs

Reactions: 1 users
A premiership will still be worthwhile but there is no emotion in the game at the moment.
I can’t get as interested as normal no matter how hard I try. No crowds makes it feel like a practice match.
I also think the shorter quarters hurt us badly. We grind teams down with relentless pressure and to a large extent that has been taken away.
I reckon this year is going to throw up some unusual finalists and results which will be one offs
Agree with this. Of course I will be interested in Richmond games but at the moment I’m really struggling to get interested in the season as a whole.

Reactions: 3 users
Me too, but I'd be interested if we didn't suck.

Take it easy. Its the same team that has won 2 out the last 3.
They dont SUCK, they're out of juice.
Name one club that has been dominate 4 years in a row in the last 25-30 years.
Brisbane when they won 3 in a row they weren't even the dominte side in the comp. Port was.
Hawthorn i don't think they finished on top once when they won 3 in a row.
We have been killer diller the last 3 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it easy. Its the same team that has won 2 out the last 3.
They dont SUCK, they're out of juice.
Name one club that has been dominate 4 years in a row in the last 25-30 years.
Brisbane when they won 3 in a row they weren't even the dominte side in the comp. Port was.
Hawthorn i don't think they finished on top once when they won 3 in a row.
We have been killer diller the last 3 years.
Semantics. Of course we don't suck in terms of being a good team. We suck in that 'playing crap football that's painful to watch' way, at least we are right now. It's making it hard to get into the season.

I'm not sure which thread this goes in, but this is about the shortened 17-game season.

There was a news item about Polly Farmer which showed a letter inviting him to play for the Tigers, so I thought I'd see if that would have nabbed us a premiership. No!

But what was interesting was that in the 12-team comp of the 60s there were only 18 rounds, eventually lifting to 20 in 1968 before finally getting to 22 in 1970.

So, 17 rounds is old-school, and not out of kilter with premiership-era Tigertime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure which thread this goes in, but this is about the shortened 17-game season.

There was a news item about Polly Farmer which showed a letter inviting him to play for the Tigers, so I thought I'd see if that would have nabbed us a premiership. No!

But what was interesting was that in the 12-team comp of the 60s there were only 18 rounds, eventually lifting to 20 in 1968 before finally getting to 22 in 1970.

So, 17 rounds is old-school, and not out of kilter with premiership-era Tigertime.

This is true and something people seem to forget most of the time.

However, I think they had a system whereby you would circulate the teams you didn't play twice each year so, over time, you would have an equal number of games against each team. Now it is effectively a seeding system depending on where you finished the previous year along with having to fit in the blockbuster games.

More compromised now than back then.

If they want a fair fixture and 22 rounds we would play 17 teams once, then 5 teams a second time, then a different 5 teams twice the following year and so on.

DS

Have a feeling we are about to get royally screwed by the draw soon...... Just a thought i am getting considering who we have yet to play.

Brissi at the Gabba
Gold Coast at Metricon or maybe Cairns
GWS in Sydney
Bombers in Darwin
Prob get hubbed up to play West Coast and Freo in Perth as AFL wont move Wet Coast out of Perth after they sooked it up. Our home game v whoever they hub up with us.
Still gotta play both SA teams and Port already done a hub in Qld and Koshy screaming they want a good run at home now agains Vic teams. Will they fly Crows to Qld to play us??
Not to mention we already played ST KIlda at Marvel and they changed to original draw and were gunna make us play Nth at Marvel.
We were at one stage the only Vic team scheduled to fly to Qld to play an Interstate team actually hubbed there.

All in all Tigers will be the most travelled team by the end and played in a lot of states compared to other Vic clubs.. Thoughts???
Bet the media wont pick up on how many actual away games we get against the interstate teams..

Have a feeling we are about to get royally screwed by the draw soon...... Just a thought i am getting considering who we have yet to play.

Brissi at the Gabba
Gold Coast at Metricon or maybe Cairns
GWS in Sydney
Bombers in Darwin
Prob get hubbed up to play West Coast and Freo in Perth as AFL wont move Wet Coast out of Perth after they sooked it up. Our home game v whoever they hub up with us.
Still gotta play both SA teams and Port already done a hub in Qld and Koshy screaming they want a good run at home now agains Vic teams. Will they fly Crows to Qld to play us??
Not to mention we already played ST KIlda at Marvel and they changed to original draw and were gunna make us play Nth at Marvel.
We were at one stage the only Vic team scheduled to fly to Qld to play an Interstate team actually hubbed there.

All in all Tigers will be the most travelled team by the end and played in a lot of states compared to other Vic clubs.. Thoughts???
Bet the media wont pick up on how many actual away games we get against the interstate teams..
It probably won't go our way, but I don't think there's much that can be done. There are going to now be large chunks of the season that don't look fair, but it's better than no season at all. At the very least we'll learn from it all and come back strong next year.

Whilst many are down on the Tiges (and the season in general), I keep looking at the opposition and thinking, 'who am I afraid of'... and the answer is no one. If we can get our act together, this could end up a memorable season for the right reasons!

Reactions: 2 users