Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Sounds a lot like our reserves skip Morro.
Will need to step up a level imo
And we haven't seen anything to indicate.

A trier and a competitor... will need to bring more to the table
My view, too. Hard worker, great attitude, but needs polish.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If we have a good run with injuries this year there will be a lot of competition for spots in the best 22
If we have a good run with injuries with regard to smaller defensive types Melee will be unlikely to play as many games to be fair.

I like him but he has to tidy his game up.

• Sad

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I'd seriously consider bringing Mansell back into the side & pushing Rioli or Short further up the ground.
I agree just specifically to lock down Taranto. We will sacrifice some run but we wont have Taranto kicking 5 like last year.

Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
A genuine blue collar worker but gives away too many frees and we already have more than enough problems in that department.
Sometimes a little too hard headed but does bring something to the table often missing in others

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
A genuine blue collar worker but gives away too many frees and we already have more than enough problems in that department.
Sometimes a little too hard headed but does bring something to the table often missing in others
Don't mind giving away frees for going hard at it it. It's the dumb 50m penalties I can't swallow

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I seem to have read a lot of the knocks on Mansell here when reading about another player on our list.

And Baker has done alright.

Mansell might not make it but he won’t die wondering.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Might be an opening for him if we look to shift Rioli fwd to allow Bolton more midfield time. To be honest I’m not sure you can have Rioli and Short both in the backline. Who knows.

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Might be an opening for him if we look to shift Rioli fwd to allow Bolton more midfield time. To be honest I’m not sure you can have Rioli and Short both in the backline. Who knows.
Mansell is a longer term, better backline player than Daniel.
Agree with you 8, Short+Rioli is not my idea of a rock solid HB line.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We don't lock the game down at HB. We rip it open. Tommy Hafey moved his champion winger Francis Bourke to HB for just that reason. This is not a new idea. As recently as 2020 Richmond champion Bachar Houli was tearing games to pieces from HB.

In response to rule changes we saw Horse move both Blakey and McInerney to HB in 2021 and Damien Hardwick moved Rioli to HB. To get more run. To win games. Every coach, every year looks to ship more cheap leather from HB for goals.

Mansell is not that guy atm. Not to say he can't be. But that's what he'd be working on. We know he can play tight.

Can he be Grimes? (Grimes has played in three premierships as a defensive small in the main.) Mansell is really good in the air and fearless but the best small forwards get real air so I'm a bit sceptical about his being set for the role all career. There's not much of him. Listed 180/76.

Mansell's defensive ground game is really promising and at VFA level he can get a kick. There is no doubt in my mind that he can make an AFL footballer. ATM I'm not sure he's not a midfielder or even a forward. 22yo in June. He will be in line for senior selection this year.

Against Southport last week Morro's summary-

Rhyan Mansell (19 disposals, seven marks, seven rebound-50s)

"Got back to his ruthless best, his desperation was on show for everyone to see and he got involved offensively too."

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Morris on Nigel R4-

Rhyan Mansell (25 disposals, 11 marks, four inside-50s)

"Rhyan gad a sensational game across half-back. In particular, his last quarter was outstanding with five marks from opposition possession. He attacked the ball and man hard all day."

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
he was sensational on Sunday.. anytime the pill got near him it was his ..

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Morris on Nigel R4-

Rhyan Mansell (25 disposals, 11 marks, four inside-50s)

"Rhyan gad a sensational game across half-back. In particular, his last quarter was outstanding with five marks from opposition possession. He attacked the ball and man hard all day."

Might be a chance you reckon?

Don’t mind Mansell.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Along with the Superhunks we have Nigel and Stack pushing for selection, waiting. They'll nearly all play some senior football his year, I reckon. Not to say many will cement a spot.

FWIW I don't see Mansell necessarily playing back all career. And he may even get a switch this year. To get him in.

He hits it hard and with timing. A fearless small back wouldn't be Morris's darling, would he, brother? Morris just has to convince Conservativewick.

Hey. Didn't Hugo break a rib?