Richmond: The Lost Years | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond: The Lost Years

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
The way it portrayed the last 15 years I thought pandered to lazy stereotypes about Richmond and was very unfair on the supporters.

We’ve actually been quite good to coaches. We’ve had one finals appearance in 15 years and one three coaches, remarkably stable . Frawley wasn’t unlucky to be sacked, he went three years without a finals appearance as a veteran team got progressively worse, every team in the league sacks its coach under those circumstances. Wallace got 5 years despite the team getting further from finals each year he coached.

Over the last 15 years Richmond supporters have been turning up in droves despite only one good year. Yet the only mention supporters had was the spitting incident….. one person doing one despicable act is enough to brand the whole supporter base as coach killers.

The crowds aren't 'back' Mike, they never left, you just didn't notice because during the two games of football you watched a weekend over the last 15 years you were busy watching the good teams.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Col.W.Kurtz said:
The way it portrayed the last 15 years I thought pandered to lazy stereotypes about Richmond and was very unfair on the supporters.

We’ve actually been quite good to coaches. We’ve had one finals appearance in 15 years and one three coaches, remarkably stable . Frawley wasn’t unlucky to be sacked, he went three years without a finals appearance as a veteran team got progressively worse, every team in the league sacks its coach under those circumstances. Wallace got 5 years despite the team getting further from finals each year he coached.

Over the last 15 years Richmond supporters have been turning up in droves despite only one good year. Yet the only mention supporters had was the spitting incident….. one person doing one despicable act is enough to brand the whole supporter base as coach killers.

The crowds aren't 'back' Mike, they never left, you just didn't notice because during the two games of football you watched a weekend over the last 15 years you were busy watching the good teams.

Didn't think it was unfair on the supporters at all, apart from maybe replaying the spitting incident. He clearly made the point that the crowds and the support never really went away. It was also very clearly stated that the revolving door of coaches was predominantly an 80's thing.

I found Wall's comments insightful too, even if there may have been some revisionism there as well.

Definitely worth a look if you were too young to remember the 80s or like me, you lived through it and wondered why and how it all went so wrong. If you want a glowing endorsement of all things Richmond, don't watch it though.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
antman said:
Didn't think it was unfair on the supporters at all, apart from maybe replaying the spitting incident. He clearly made the point that the crowds and the support never really went away. It was also very clearly stated that the revolving door of coaches was predominantly an 80's thing.

I found Wall's comments insightful too, even if there may have been some revisionism there as well.

Definitely worth a look if you were too young to remember the 80s or like me, you lived through it and wondered why and how it all went so wrong. If you want a glowing endorsement of all things Richmond, don't watch it though.

I didn't watch the whole thing, admittedly, but the bit I watched said we “even sacked Frawly after he took them to a preliminary final”. Well a bit happen after 2001, and then they didn’t mention Plough at all in the bit I watched. Poor old Plough is one of our longest serving recent coaches.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Col.W.Kurtz said:
I didn't watch the whole thing, admittedly, but the bit I watched said we “even sacked Frawly after he took them to a preliminary final”. Well a bit happen after 2001, and then they didn’t mention Plough at all in the bit I watched. Poor old Plough is one of our longest serving recent coaches.

Yeah, to be fair they didn't really talk about the 90s much that I recall, apart from hyping up the poor list management angle.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, I think we've been pretty stable for coaches in the last 15 seasons: Hardwick, Rawlings, Wallace, Frawley. I'm sure there's clubs with more coaches than that over the last 15 seasons!

Melbourne; Craig, Neeld, Bailey, Viney, Riley, Daniher.
Western Bulldogs: Wallace, Rhode, Eade, Williams & Mcartney

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
tigertim said:
Yeah, I think we've been pretty stable for coaches in the last 15 seasons: Hardwick, Rawlings, Wallace, Frawley. I'm sure there's clubs with more coaches than that over the last 15 seasons!

Melbourne; Craig, Neeld, Bailey, Viney, Riley, Daniher.
Western Bulldogs: Wallace, Rhode, Eade, Williams & Mcartney

Who's Williams??

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Would have been better off showing the duds we recruited from other clubs during the 1980s, how many games they played and how much they cost us. Some stinkers in there.

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=48632.msg1617513#msg1617513

Amazing to think that even when we had no money, we still forked out $175,000 for Terry wallace in 1987 and then had to sell him because we couldn't afford to make the payments to Hawthorn.

Amateur hour.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Amazing to think that even when we had no money, we still forked out $175,000 for Terry wallace in 1987 and then had to sell him because we couldn't afford to make the payments to Hawthorn.

Amateur hour.

Yeah, but this was just a repetition of our behaviour throughout the decade and even the seventies. Rather than build a culture and an organisation, sack those who don't succeed and just buy in new gun players, coaches etc. Even if you have no money. A cargo cult mentality.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
The thing that hit me the most after the show was the 2 biggest player management debacles in the clubs history.
We trade Graham Teasdale, Brian Roberts and Francis Jackson for Pitura.
Hafey sacked at the 0f 1976

History repeats

1982/83
Cloke, Raines, Wood leave. We pick up Phillip Walsh, John Annear, Craig Stewart, Neil Peart, Wally Lovett and Peter McCormack from Collingwood.
Burke sacked at the end of 1983

GR was responsible for both.
As great as he was he made some terrible decisions as well.
We really needed someone strong enough to sit him down at times.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Was pretty clear we failed to grasp the business model over the club model for at least a decade or more. It goes a long way to show that ego maniacs in control of business have a very high risk/reward ratio.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
Part of this show was played again on Saturday in the lead up to the Hawthorn game showing all our current boys, anyone know what the song is that was playing in the background??

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
22nd Man said:
Was at that AGM. And heard it as Daryl Wineman.. A double barrel error. bond was cringeworthy at that meeting and that's where you realised we had a sign writer as President. His heart was not in it at all. Elliott head of CUB ran Carlton so Bond as head of Swan was trying hard to break into the eastern state markets, copy cat. Don't recall him even tipping any cash in ... We were rattling cans 2 years later and Bondy was just as broke.

I was at that AGM at Punt Rd. Think he called him weigh-man, making the t silent. This fool had just finished saying how he had followed the Tigers for years and was always tuning in to follow our fortunes; and how proud he was that his first duty as club President was to present the previous years b&f. Then proved what a complete liar he was by not even knowing the pronounciation of our best players name. Shows how desparate we were as a club. From memory I think he was offerring $500k if we won a flag winthin 3 years (knowing we had no chance!). You're right 22, all it was was free advertising for his Swan Brewery in Victoria. No wonder we've spent 30 years in the wilderness.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
tiger12 said:
I was at that AGM at Punt Rd. Think he called him weigh-man, making the t silent. This fool had just finished saying how he had followed the Tigers for years and was always tuning in to follow our fortunes; and how proud he was that his first duty as club President was to present the previous years b&f. Then proved what a complete liar he was by not even knowing the pronounciation of our best players name. Shows how desparate we were as a club. From memory I think he was offerring $500k if we won a flag winthin 3 years (knowing we had no chance!). You're right 22, all it was was free advertising for his Swan Brewery in Victoria. No wonder we've spent 30 years in the wilderness.

Was that around the same time that Royce Hart walked around the room looking for his seat and finally found it with the nametag Roy Sart?

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Was that around the same time that Royce Hart walked around the room looking for his seat and finally found it with the nametag Roy Sart?

Don't recall that, but it wouldn't suprise. Remember seeing some of the recently retired players in attendance. It was in the social club at Punt Rd. Facilities were really poor. I remember thinking this club won a flag by a record margin some 5 or 6 years prior, and was now in this state of decline. We (supporters) were either in a state of denial or just blinded by faith, but the club was well and truly on the road to oblivion.