Richmond: The Lost Years | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond: The Lost Years

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Mal Brown would've been a relevant interviewee.

Exactly,
Alan bond
The Gesh
Ross Lyon
Brad Ottens
Trevor Poole
They show could've went on for 2 weeks straight

Knighta

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 17, 2008
Jukes Extended said:
The worst part was seeing the list of players we missed out on drafting....made me physically ill.

I thought that was stupid. So many clubs passed on them I don't know why the doggies don't cop it for not taking Buddy, where has their key forwards been since Grant?

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Missed it last night but am recording the replay up next at 6:30.

Will be an interesting watch.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Jukes Extended said:
The worst part was seeing the list of players we missed out on drafting....made me physically ill.
Yeah that was simply Richmond bashing. Not hard to make a list of players, for eg Hawthorn, haven't drafted over the past 28 years.

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
se7en said:
Alan Bond, the man who tried to push RFC to QLD.
Quickly exit the club after that idea.
Bondy was also the man who called Dale Weightman Dale Whiteman - knew the Club like the back of his hand!!!

tassiedave

Wingman of the future!
Aug 5, 2003
The program was reasonable but didn't match the hype. Skipped over the Northey saga, Mal Brown didn't get a mention, only a vague reference to Daphne.........was almost as if Sheehan got hold of Cloke, Wilson, Raines and Jewel and pretty well built the program around them and whatever they had to say. Listing all the players we passed on was irrelevant, as every club would have passed on a similar list. The one thing that he got right tho was the Powerhouse reference........look out the other 17 clubs when we get our sh** together once and for all!

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Watched it on YouTube this afternoon, personally nothing that hasn't been touched on before...

I think RFC's biggest problem was its inability to understand the big new world of transition from VFL to AFL, even as late as only 4-5 years ago...

We still have a long long way to go I feel with speed bumps along the way, but I can see I definite shift in its thinking and for this we can only hope that the people in control now are/have broken the cycle.

Mind you sometimes reading these boards can tend to make you to think otherwise ;D

funky

Tiger Superstar
Nov 27, 2009
couldnt bring myself to watch , i think i have been through enough barracking for this mob without bringing back sad memories , i will say this, when we win a flag make no bones about it we will run the afl, collingwood army will have nothing on us ,you can bet on that.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
bringbakflemmo said:
Bondy was also the man who called Dale Weightman Dale Whiteman - knew the Club like the back of his hand!!!

According to Flea's book, I think it was Wineman.......

which I hear is an apt description.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
They did mentioned in the show Richmond had averaged 57'000 people at Tiger home games at The MCG in 1980. Great numbers but if you look further,in 1987 The Tigers had the lowest membership in the leauge with 2,835 members. While people have said the club spent a lot of the clubs money, there was not a lot coming back in memberships.
It took the club until 1995 to have over to have over 10'000 members again. I don't know what the numbers were before '84.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Pickers35 said:
They did mentioned in the show Richmond had averaged 57'000 people at Tiger home games at The MCG in 1980. Great numbers but if you look further,in 1987 The Tigers had the lowest membership in the leauge with 2,835 members. While people have said the club spent a lot of the clubs money, there was not a lot coming back in memberships.
It took the club until 1995 to have over to have over 10'000 members again. I don't know what the numbers were before '84.

Memberships weren't what they're today.
Clubs made there money from sponsors and from the gate. (And very rich backers)

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
bringbakflemmo said:

Was at that AGM. And heard it as Daryl Wineman.. A double barrel error. bond was cringeworthy at that meeting and that's where you realised we had a sign writer as President. His heart was not in it at all. Elliott head of CUB ran Carlton so Bond as head of Swan was trying hard to break into the eastern state markets, copy cat. Don't recall him even tipping any cash in ... We were rattling cans 2 years later and Bondy was just as broke.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
22nd Man said:
Don't recall him even tipping any cash in

Tigerland records that Bond Corporation was a major sponsor of the club in 1987.

Tony Jewell and Francis Bourke were among those who initially backed the board's move to play home games in Brisbane.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Watched on YouTube last night, thought it was pretty good and fair in the main. Barry Richardson came out of it pretty well, others not so much. Should have looked at the Northey departure a bit more than it did.

The 80s really proved that the old "ruthless Richmond" ways didn't work any more.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Tigerland records that Bond Corporation was a major sponsor of the club in 1987.

Tony Jewell and Francis Bourke were among those who initially backed the board's move to play home games in Brisbane.

Yeah Bond was the jumper sponsor in 1987....I think they were straight after Esso.

B

Bill James

A missed opportunity.........it should have been a mini series.