Richmond's seeming reluctance to go into a Hub | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond's seeming reluctance to go into a Hub

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The story is more focused on the impact the online abuse directed at Brooke has had on her mental health. The interesting thing for me is this story clearly states Trent Cotchin is the only player with his family in the Richmond hub (dormitory style accommodation) and yet this same newspaper last month while the full on anti Richmond tripe was going on tried to paint Brooke Cotchin as the 'worst and most demanding' while staying in a luxury resort with other so called wags!

Brooke Cotchin was ready to do whatever it took to keep her family together this footy season.
That’s why she didn’t hesitate to fly to Queensland in the first week of July with husband Trent and their three young children.

But what was to be a 32-day stint in the AFL hub has turned into a much longer time away from home. And on top of that, at the end of the same month, she was outed as having breached the strict COVID-19 hub rules.

She posted a picture on her Instagram after visiting a day spa and the fallout was intense.

Richmond received a hefty $45,000 fine ($25,000 suspended) which the Cotchins have offered to pay. AFL website journalist Mitch Cleary was temporarily stood down after he shared a tweet that named Cotchin as the offender.

Cotchin took to Instagram to apologise and explain her error, and also offered support for Cleary.

But the gravity of the situation has caused continuing personal stress and anxiety which Cotchin has candidly revealed for the first time.

“It still haunts me and still sets off my anxiety but from your darkest times come your greatest lessons and I am just trying to take each day as it comes,’’ Cotchin says.

“That being said, I am human and humans are all imperfect.”

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Cutting through the spin on the issues dominating the news agenda. Watch Andrew Bolt 7pm Weeknights, on Sky News. For more.
Trent Cotchin with his oldest daughter Harper as wife Brooke looks on at training in the hub. Pic: Michael Klein
Trent Cotchin with his oldest daughter Harper as wife Brooke looks on at training in the hub. Pic: Michael Klein
The Instagram post that caused it all.
The Instagram post that caused it all.
Cotchin went on to detail the abuse she has copped. The mum of three — to kids Harper, 5, Mackenzie, 4, and Parker, 1 — boasts more than 36,000 followers but has not posted to her account since apologising on August 3.

Prior to that Cotchin had kept her followers updated by regularly posting pictures and videos of the family’s movements. People have reached out to tell her they miss seeing their bubbly and smiling faces.

“It was a really hard time for not only me but our family,’’ Cotchin says.

“I was in a very bad place for a little while and it took some time to dig myself out.

“Dealing with the lengths of the online bullying was and is something I am learning to try and block out. Some of the vile comments and personal messages were gut wrenching and it breaks my heart that people deal with this on a daily basis.

“On the flip side, I have received so many heartwarming messages that I hope to find the time to reply to because they are a big reason for allowing me to move forward.”

On Friday, Brooke’s father has slammed Richmond and the AFL, claiming they ”muzzled” his daughter after her AFL Covid breach last month.

former Footscray player Rick Kennedy said he was disappointed with how the club and the AFL handled the situation.

Brooke Cotchin with her kids at the Botanical Gardens on the Gold Coast. Picture: Michael Klein
Brooke Cotchin with her kids at the Botanical Gardens on the Gold Coast. Picture: Michael Klein
“My own view and this is not coming from Trent and Brooke, I think the AFL and Richmond handled it really poorly,” Kennedy said on Triple M.

“They talk today a big game about supporting women and coming in behind and promoting women and what they really did was shut her down and didn’t allow her to go public and take responsibility.

“And that took a few days to work its way through. So I think the disappointing thing from where I sit was that they had a prime opportunity to come out and support a woman in a real live case, rather than just words.”

Kennedy said he had even tried to take on the trolls himself.

“I think the hardest thing is you’re feeling fairly helpless and you’re just trying to support your daughter,’’ he said.

“I’m generally the first one to tell her when she’s made a mistake. It’s the tough times you come in to support your family and your friends.

“Effectively she was muzzled, so people are making comments and having views without having all the facts.

“If you met people face-to-face you generally don’t have those conversations, but it is easy on Instagram or Facebook to have a go.”

Brooke and Trent Cotchin celebrate the first birthday of their youngest child in the AFL hub. Picture: Instagram
Brooke and Trent Cotchin celebrate the first birthday of their youngest child in the AFL hub. Picture: Instagram
Abuse on social media has sadly become more prevalent over the past month in the AFL world, particularly after GWS star Callan Ward revealed he received death threats after a game against Essendon.

Tigers defender Dylan Grimes, also accused of staging for a free kick at a critical stage of a game, endured a similarly torrid experience just last week and two men have been arrested over threats.

“It blows my mind how nasty people can be,’’ Cotchin says.

“I just can’t even imagine taking the time to send such horrible messages to someone nor would it ever cross my mind to, no matter what they did.”

AFL Players Association CEO Paul Marsh said the rise in social media abuse was a concern, and the partners of players don’t deserve to cop abuse.

“I’d first and foremost say the players families are playing a significant role in keeping this season going,’’ he said.

“They deserve to be treated with much more respect because without having them there to support the players and the clubs, we wouldn’t be able to finish this season.

“Any form of abuse on social media is unacceptable and we feel that particularly strongly for a group of people here who haven’t signed up to be part of this industry.”

While Cotchin has been reeling from the events of the past month, she hasn’t had too much time to dwell on it.

With her children in the hub it has been a juggling act between being a hands-on mum and working on the family’s new sock business, Posisocks.

“Most days are the same,’’ she says.

“I homeschool both the girls five mornings a week and I work whenever I can, which is generally when Parker has his daytime nap and after the kids are all in bed.

“We are the only family in our hub so the girls are very good at entertaining themselves so lots of laps of the oval, colouring, playing table tennis and board games. Sequence has been a winner.

Richmond captain Trent, with his wife Brooke and their three children Harper, Mackenzie and Parker ahead of Mother's Day. Picture: Alex Coppel.'s Day. Picture: Alex Coppel.
Richmond captain Trent, with his wife Brooke and their three children Harper, Mackenzie and Parker ahead of Mother's Day. Picture: Alex Coppel.
“Parker is hands on and loves anything that moves so when he is awake it is go, go, go. The boys and staff have been amazing with the kids so there is always someone happy to engage with them. I am a little hesitant to leave the hub so we spend most days here.

“If Trent has a day off we will generally take the kids for a morning and afternoon swim at the beach to change it up. The staff at Elite have gone over and above for us all so it has been lovely to have some interaction outside of football and the chef, Marco, is the best so we don’t have much reason to leave.”

Cotchin says activities are limited and they only leave the hub to go for a quick swim or walk at the beach, or to grab the odd takeaway coffee or meal.

Other partners can see each other for a maximum of two hours a day but only if it’s for exercise. The strict rules being enforced are in order to keep the competition alive, and all players and their families understand that.

However, she says the time away comes with mixed feelings — happiness at having a way to be together, but also guilt leaving extended family behind. Parker celebrated his first birthday in the hub among the team last month.

Brooke Cotchin with husband Trent.
Brooke Cotchin with husband Trent.
Cothcin family boarding a plane out of Melbourne. Picture: Wayne Taylor
Cothcin family boarding a plane out of Melbourne. Picture: Wayne Taylor
“Being away from family is no doubt the most challenging factor of being away, especially with what is going on back home,’’ she says. “Our families play a big part in our lives and not seeing them for months on end is hard especially when they miss special milestones. I think you also carry a little bit of guilt not being home and facing the challenges that they are at the moment.

“Time away really makes you appreciate those you love even more and we will definitely hug them a little tighter once we return home.”

The constant rock for Cotchin is her husband Trent, the Richmond captain and leader who always maintains a level head. He has dealt with his own setbacks in the form of injuries but also rides the lows alongside Brooke.

“Trent always finds the positive in whatever is thrown our way so as always he just takes it in his stride,’’ Cotchin says.

“He is the only one with his family or partner living in his workplace so I think he was a little excited to get to Darwin for Dreamtime (last weekend) and have a few days away from us.

“The club has been extremely supportive of us being here so it really is like one big happy family.

“We probably haven’t given the kids enough credit for how they have adapted.

“They are just happy to be here, to be with Dad and to be with the team is pretty special and something we definitely do not take for granted.

Brooke with son Parker. Picture: David Caird
Brooke with son Parker. Picture: David Caird
“We try to stick to a routine as best as we can to bring some sort of normality to their lives but it is like one big adventure for them so allowing them to be kids is our focus for now. Although I am a little concerned with what new words or habits they might pick up on.”

Cotchin hasn’t given much thought to the upcoming Brownlow or the Grand Final.

After already experiencing two premierships with the Tigers she knows what lies ahead when September, or in this case, October, rolls around.

“Brownlow has not even crossed my mind. It isn’t something I look forward to so I would be happy to sit this year out,’’ she says.

“I would be happy to see the Grand Final go ahead wherever it may be. To make it through the season after everything the AFL has done to make it possible and see two teams play in a grand final would be incredible no matter what state it is played in.”

Thanks amc11, yep Brooke's social media apology and story in this article are fine and a good insight, Kennedy's comments are what have inflamed the issue and are going to help no-one.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks amc11, yep Brooke's social media apology and story in this article are fine and a good insight, Kennedy's comments are what have inflamed the issue and are going to help no-one.

Yep understand totally - at least in this article Rick Kennedy takes full ownership and says , “My own view and this is not coming from Trent and Brooke, I think the AFL and Richmond handled it really poorly,” Kennedy said on Triple M.
I have to admit I was surprised they left that quote in the article because it means anyone who reads more than just the headlines will know those words are coming from a father wanting to defend his daughter and that probably doesn't suit the narrative the HS seem to promote about Richmond and anyone connected with Richmond these days.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yep understand totally - at least in this article Rick Kennedy takes full ownership and says , “My own view and this is not coming from Trent and Brooke, I think the AFL and Richmond handled it really poorly,” Kennedy said on Triple M.
I have to admit I was surprised they left that quote in the article because it means anyone who reads more than just the headlines will know those words are coming from a father wanting to defend his daughter and that probably doesn't suit the narrative the HS seem to promote about Richmond and anyone connected with Richmond these days.

And it was only the headlines I read;)

• Haha

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Think this would be an opportunity for the Skipper to spend the next few weeks with his family .

I would rest him for the Fremantle game.

Again the HS stoops to low levels of reporting & journalism.

Wonder who went to who. HS to get a response or the father to ‘voice’ his concerns.?

Why?

Again the Tigers sell papers and click bait.

A lot of us think this is a continue attack on our club and an effort to derail our season and cause a rift.

Why bring this up?

Warrants first page? Is that right?

Just poor.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Think this would be an opportunity for the Skipper to spend the next few weeks with his family .

I would rest him for the Fremantle game.

Again the HS stoops to low levels of reporting & journalism.

Wonder who went to who. HS to get a response or the father to ‘voice’ his concerns.?

Why?

Again the Tigers sell papers and click bait.

A lot of us think this is a continue attack on our club and an effort to derail our season and cause a rift.

Why bring this up?

Warrants first page? Is that right?

Just poor.
Rick was a tough player for the Dogs, lucky he didn’t thump someone.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Good on her.
Stick it up the Muppets that have nothing better to do.
She made mistake. Get over it.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Can understand a Dad wanting to support his daughter but do you really think going public was a smart move? Re-ignited a dead issue, front page HS now all over radio, listening to 3aw, who all agreed it was a dumb move, are now seeking comment from Brendan Gale and RFC for comment, they will probably hound Brooke and Trent for comment as well.
Carro said at the peak of the incident the whole Cotchin family had considered leaving the hub.
So Kennedy in his wisdom thinks bringing the matter to light again is going to be beneficial to Brooke and family who are still in the hub :rolleyes:
Personally I'm not stressed about it, so I'll go with....
Happy wife, Happy Life best captain in the comp!... and leave it at that:)

Reactions: 1 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into it. HS are just trying to sell papers. Of course a dad would be overly protective in this situation. Just dont read the HS and feed the beast.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I thought it was a good story - highlighted more online abusive culture our players and families have to put up with and paints the Cotchin’s family in good light, dad and all.

We all know the AFL coms has more political spin than Trump could dream of.

Our club has made some mistakes this year but nothing that is earth shattering which is what the papers want us to think.

Don‘t agree with those thinking it just refocuses the media on us again - we are a strong club and this is a small ripple in the scheme of things.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
“They (AFL & Richmond) talk a big game about supporting women and coming in behind and promoting women and what they really did was shut her down and didn’t allow her to go public and take responsibility.”.

What can you say? Stick to your day job mate and don't ever try public relations.

Standard strategy for this sort of situation is a quick and definitive mea culpa followed by silence.

DS

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
His missing the point his daughter went up there and knew the rules simple as that she went out of the rules and made a mistake end of story.Take responsibility for your actions.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
a quick and definitive mea culpa followed by silence.
Isn't that his point? She wanted to put her hand up straight away and own it, but they wouldn't let her.
Anyway. ... always difficult when you go into bat for someone you love... Bit like Dimma with Lynchy :oops:

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
not sure i care what Rick Kennedy thinks, he's not up there.
and big deal, the past is dead.

Last edited:

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Rick Kennedy will defend his daughter no matter what, as a good dad should, but he doesn't understand the caper. Instagram influencing is a fools paradise. Live by the sword die by the sword. Brooke was in it for the APPARENTLY easy money, I don't really begrudge her that, but she was exploiting her and her families profile and clean-cut image for cash. Its a tricky path to tread, sharing slices of carefully sanitised life with random people for money. God knows how much the day spa mob paid her to share the photo, but they would have paid her. Hasn't posted since? smart. Hopefully she's learnt it ain't worth it, because it aint.

Reactions: 9 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Rick Kennedy will defend his daughter no matter what, as a good dad should, but he doesn't understand the caper. Instagram influencing is a fools paradise. Live by the sword die by the sword. Brooke was in it for the APPARENTLY easy money, I don't really begrudge her that, but she was exploiting her and her families profile and clean-cut image for cash. Its a tricky path to tread, sharing slices of carefully sanitised life with random people for money. God knows how much the day spa mob paid her to share the photo, but they would have paid her. Hasn't posted since? smart. Hopefully she's learnt it ain't worth it, because it aint.
She blew it. Do it outside of Covid restrictions and it would've been less stupid, even if she was as you say exploiting the family profile. Sure the old man had to defend his daughter, but to the Herald Sun ? That's as transparent as putting a pic up on Instagram.
Even if you don't read or view these platforms ...
.....Information is like water dripping downhill, it'll find a path to the bottom.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
She blew it. Do it outside of Covid restrictions and it would've been less stupid, even if she was as you say exploiting the family profile. Sure the old man had to defend his daughter, but to the Herald Sun ? That's as transparent as putting a pic up on Instagram.
Even if you don't read or view these platforms ...
.....Information is like water dripping downhill, it'll find a path to the bottom.
Kennedy didn’t defend his daughter to the herald sun but to MMM. HS reported his comments.