Round 1 Best 22 (23). No easy task... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Best 22 (23). No easy task...

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not quite clear where we are on the injury front, but assuming the unavailability of Broad, Colina, Gibcus, Ross, Short and Tarrant, and that Graham, Pickett and Sonsie will be cleared to play.

B Balta Young (McKay) Grimes
HB Baker Vlastuin (Curnow) Rioli D,
C McIntosh Hopper Cotchin
HF Bolton Miller (Relief Ruck), Rioli M Jr (Saad)
F Cumberland Lynch Martin
R Nankervis Taranto Prestia
I/C Clarke Graham Pickett and Riewoldt
Sub Sonsie
Emergencies Dow and Ryan.

I truly hope those matchups you have in defence for Curnow and Mckay are wrong. Both of those guys will be crucified.

If its the defence that you suggest then Balta will take McKay and Grimes will take Curnow, not Young and Vlastuin. That would almost be like throwing in the towel. As good as Vlastuin is, he isn't the type that can contain Curnow with either pace or reach and throwing Young onto McKay in his debut would be stupid of us.

Reactions: 1 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
B Broad Grimes Baker
HB D Rioli Balta Vlastuin
W *Ralphsmith Taranto Mcintosh
HF Bolton Lynch Cumberland
F Martin Riewoldt MJr
R Nank Hopper Prestia

IC Young Cotchin Miller Sonsie Sub Clarke

*Pickett replaced by Hugo if he doesn’t come up

Last edited:

Juffaricho

"Pressure wins Premierships"
Oct 26, 2007
B Grimes Balta Baker
HB D.Rioli Riewoldt Vlastuin
W Clarke Taranto McIntosh
HF Bolton S.Ryan Martin
F Cumberland Lynch M.Rioli
R Nank Hopper Prestia

IC N. Broad Cotchin Miller H. Ralphsmith
Sub T.Dow

Unavailable: Pickett, Tarrant, J. Graham, Sonsie etc.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Zips best 22.
B. Broad Balta Grimesy
HB. Rioli Miller BigV
C. Flappers Hopper Campbell
HF. Clark Bolton Riewoldt
F. Lynch Martin Cumberland
R. Nakas Prestia Tarranto
Inter Cotchin Dow Ryan Baker
Sub Cumberland

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not quite clear where we are on the injury front, but assuming the unavailability of Broad, Colina, Gibcus, Ross, Short and Tarrant, and that Graham, Pickett and Sonsie will be cleared to play.
OMG. Why on earth would anyone include Maaaaaate in the unavailables at senior level???? Not real sure anyone would even notice if he was unavailable at VFL level.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I truly hope those matchups you have in defence for Curnow and Mckay are wrong. Both of those guys will be crucified.

If its the defence that you suggest then Balta will take McKay and Grimes will take Curnow, not Young and Vlastuin. That would almost be like throwing in the towel. As good as Vlastuin is, he isn't the type that can contain Curnow with either pace or reach and throwing Young onto McKay in his debut would be stupid of us.
Just a hunch. I read that the last match simulation training had Young playing on Lynch and Miller on Riewoldt.
Seems one of Balta or Miller will play back, the other forward or off the bench.
No matter how it falls it is going to be a tough ask.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
On paper looks yeah nah this week but as we know anything can happen. We've still got some handy types.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
just wondering what the potential crowd size will be given the concert size last week.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
B: Grimes - Balta - Broad
HB: Rioli - Miller - Vlastuin
C : Ross - Hopper - McIntosh
HF: Martin - Riewoldt - Bolton
F : M. Rioli - Lynch - Cumberland
R: Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia
Int: Graham - Baker - Cotchin - Ryan
Sub : Sonsie / Ralphsimit

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Just a hunch. I read that the last match simulation training had Young playing on Lynch and Miller on Riewoldt.
Seems one of Balta or Miller will play back, the other forward or off the bench.
No matter how it falls it is going to be a tough ask.
Balta has trained nothing but back.
Miller only recently when Tarrant went down.
Miller still most likely to start the game in role he was originally set for but has been reacquainted with defensive role if Young is overawed or not selected, everything is pointing to a Young debut though.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Miller still most likely to start the game in role he was originally set for but has been reacquainted with defensive role if Young is overawed or not selected, everything is pointing to a Young debut though.
Which or Young/Miller would you have play on Harry McKay ?

I would rather have miller on TDK/Charlie but McKay perhaps Young might be the better option

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

Agree that is most likely. Also I see Miller as the better option to relieve Nank, although both he and Balta look to be well ahead of Silvagni as ruckmen.

Miller will possibly relieve as a key forward but can’t see him doing so from a key back role.

Who do you think will be given the start on McKay and Curnow?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'm predicting Fridgey will play if he gets through all training this week and has not had any set backs. Similar to last year he will probably get parachuted in.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I'm predicting Fridgey will play if he gets through all training this week and has not had any set backs. Similar to last year he will probably get parachuted in.
There is absolutely no issue with his ability to run out games or his fitness and his toe appears to be fixed so its all about if the coaches believe his touch is ready and Tuesday will be a good indication but in a street fight - I would have him starting 22

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
B: Grimes - Balta - Broad
HB: Rioli - Miller - Vlastuin
C : Ross - Hopper - McIntosh
HF: Martin - Riewoldt - Bolton
F : M. Rioli - Lynch - Cumberland
R: Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia
Int: Graham - Baker - Cotchin - Ryan
Sub : Sonsie / Ralphsimit
You have pretty much nailed it Turk except that Young will play. Either Miller or Ryan to miss.