Round 1 Team Predictions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Team Predictions

I note Dimma was saying we are great at 2 phases - scoring and turnover but struggle at the contested side. Hence the 2 x mids t6raded for.

Personally, I still think we haven't come to grips with the stand rule. We haven't worked out how to slow sides down when they get possession in our F50. We used to be able to trap that ball in our F50 and eventually get a long kick to a contest. Teams seem to be able to slice us up easier.

We are going to have to keep posting big scores and hope its enough.

Reactions: 1 users
B: Vlastuin, Miller, Grimes
HB: D.Rioli, Balta, Baker
C: KMac, Prestia, Pickett
HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
F: M.Rioli, Lynch, Cumberland
R: Nank, Taranto, Hopper
I: Cotchin, Short, Broad, Young
Sub: Graham

Last edited:
I note Dimma was saying we are great at 2 phases - scoring and turnover but struggle at the contested side. Hence the 2 x mids t6raded for.

Personally, I still think we haven't come to grips with the stand rule. We haven't worked out how to slow sides down when they get possession in our F50. We used to be able to trap that ball in our F50 and eventually get a long kick to a contest. Teams seem to be able to slice us up easier.

We are going to have to keep posting big scores and hope its enough.

True, we do not defend against the stand rule well at all, how have other teams done this and could we be looking at the more successful tactics?

DS

Reactions: 1 user
The team i would select to face Cartoon Round 1

B: Vlastuin - Miller - Grimes
HB: Broad - Balta - D Rioli
C: McIntosh - Hopper - Pickett
HF: Bolton - Lynch - Martin
F: M Rioli - Riewoldt - Cumberland
R: Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia
I/C: Cotchin - Baker - Graham - Ryan
Sub: Sonsie
Emerg : Ralphsmith - Clarke - Young - Dow

Reactions: 2 users
The team i would select to face Cartoon Round 1

B: Vlastuin - Miller - Grimes
HB: Broad - Balta - D Rioli
C: McIntosh - Hopper - Pickett
HF: Bolton - Lynch - Martin
F: M Rioli - Riewoldt - Cumberland
R: Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia
I/C: Cotchin - Baker - Graham - Ryan
Sub: Sonsie
Emerg : Ralphsmith - Clarke - Young - Dow
looks good .i would change --Sonie out (he has not trained all season .just like the last preseason) and Ralphsmith in his place

There is another word other than controversial that comes to mind.
We'll see I guess. He's obviously going to get picked. Hope it's the right decision.

I don't understand why we've trained Miller forward all off season (on the back of last season) only to switch him back to defence at the last minute. Seems a bit desperate to me.

I don't understand why we've trained Miller forward all off season only to switch him back to defence at the last minute. Seems a bit desperate to me.
Seems like adaptation to me. Two factors: Tarrant is out, and Ryan might be in. If Ryan's in it's to play forward/second ruck, so there's no room for Miller in that role. But he's more experienced (and talented) than Young. Carltoon has a tall forward line, so we throw him back for a refresher (he's played 90% of his games in yellow and black down back).

Seems like adaptation to me. Two factors: Tarrant is out, and Ryan might be in. If Ryan's in it's to play forward/second ruck, so there's no room for Miller in that role. But he's more experienced (and talented) than Young. Carltoon has a tall forward line, so we throw him back for a refresher (he's played 90% of his games in yellow and black down back).
I don't like Ryan playing forward with Lynch. Think makes us slower again. Don't see it happening.

Now, we’re trialling Mansell down there at the 11th hour ?

Mansell has trained forward all pre-season, not the 11th hour, probably has the most endeavour besides Bake's but I don't see him as AFL quality but he has had a good pre-season non-the-less.

Mansell has trained forward all pre-season, not the 11th hour, probably has the most endeavour besides Bake's but I don't see him as AFL quality but he has had a good pre-season non-the-less.
He certainly didn’t play much there v North. He played on the wing for the most part, right in front of me for most of his game time. And he was average. Got in the way of Clarke a few times.

And I don’t recall seeing him up front much in the first half of the game v Melbourne either. We were loaded up with Lynch, MJ, Riewoldt, Cumbo, Cotchin and Dusty in that game. In fact, I don’t think he even played.

Not much of a trial up forward in any true opposition sense.

I doubt he plays on Thursday. Maybe, but I’d be surprised if he did.

Last edited:
If Mansell plays it's real desperation. If Prestia, Short and one of Graham or Pickett (You can't risk both with no game time, actually the more I think of it one of them is the perfect sub) all play I'd feel much better about this week.

B: Young - Balta - Grimes
HB: Baker - Vlaustin - Rioli
C: KMac - Prestia - Pickett
HF: Martin - Shai - Cotch
F: Lynch - Cumberland - Reiwoldt
R: Nank - Tarranto - Hopper

I/C: Miller, Graham, MRJ, Broad
Sub: Clarke

**I think down back is the danger or more like their forward line in McKay & Curnow and maybe De-Koning so Miller and Broad on bench add to tall options.
**I needed a pure mid on my bench so have gone Graham and demoted Clarke to sub.

**Short the other option as the sub.

Reactions: 6 users
B: Young - Balta - Grimes
HB: Baker - Vlaustin - Rioli
C: KMac - Prestia - Pickett
HF: Martin - Shai - Cotch
F: Lynch - Cumberland - Reiwoldt
R: Nank - Tarranto - Hopper

I/C: Miller, Graham, MRJ, Broad
Sub: Clarke

**I think down back is the danger or more like their forward line in McKay & Curnow and maybe De-Koning so Miller and Broad on bench add to tall options.
**I needed a pure mid on my bench so have gone Graham and demoted Clarke to sub.

**Short the other option as the sub.

Reckon that will be very close Caesar.

Reckon that will be very close Caesar.
Would be sorry to see Clarke miss, but your team has to be very very close.
Thanks again Caesar for all your hard work.

Post note
Actually our teams are pretty similar and of course you have Clarke.

Only difference between being you have Broad and I have Short. see Training 2023 notes at entry 2345.

Last edited:
Predictions.
Cumberland 6 goals.
D. Martin 3 goals and BOG.
Vlaustin 8 intercept marks.
L. Baker; 9 tackles.
Tigers win by 27 points