Round 1 Team Predictions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Team Predictions

B: Young - Balta - Grimes
HB: Baker - Vlaustin - Rioli
C: KMac - Prestia - Pickett
HF: Martin - Shai - Cotch
F: Lynch - Cumberland - Reiwoldt
R: Nank - Tarranto - Hopper

I/C: Miller, Graham, MRJ, Broad
Sub: Clarke

**I think down back is the danger or more like their forward line in McKay & Curnow and maybe De-Koning so Miller and Broad on bench add to tall options.
**I needed a pure mid on my bench so have gone Graham and demoted Clarke to sub.

**Short the other option as the sub.
Reckon Short will be starting 22, but they won’t be keen to play all of Short, Pickett, Prestia & Graham off interrupted prep’s. Graham will miss and play limited VFL minutes you’d think.

Reactions: 1 user
If Mansell plays it's real desperation. If Prestia, Short and one of Graham or Pickett (You can't risk both with no game time, actually the more I think of it one of them is the perfect sub) all play I'd feel much better about this week.
Don't think anyone is saying Mansell will play.

We can't play 4 underdone players, we likely won't run the game out, same as last year.

Jud needs to play, imo he brings skill run and pace and is deadly in front of the sticks.

Reactions: 7 users
We can't play 4 underdone players, we likely won't run the game out, same as last year.

Jud needs to play, imo he brings skill run and pace and is deadly in front of the sticks.
Griffens & Conca part 2

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I'd still leave JR out in spite of the inclusions.
Needs more pace & I am worried about too many underdone players.

Of course Dimma knows best but this is how I'd go:

Baker Young Grimes

Vlastuin Balta D Rioli

McIntosh Taranto Pickett

Martin Miller Bolton

Cumberland Lynch M Rioli

Nankervis Hopper Prestia

IC Broad Short Cotchin Clarke

Sub: Dow

Em: Graham Riewoldt Ross

I'd still leave JR out in spite of the inclusions.
Needs more pace & I am worried about too many underdone players.

Of course Dimma knows best but this is how I'd go:

Baker Young Grimes

Vlastuin Balta D Rioli

McIntosh Taranto Pickett

Martin Miller Bolton

Cumberland Lynch M Rioli

Nankervis Hopper Prestia

IC Broad Short Cotchin Clarke

Sub: Dow

Em: Graham Riewoldt Ross
If Riewoldt doesn’t play, who is the second ruck to back Nank up or, alternatively, if Miller plays second ruck then who is the second tall forward to support the Lynch-pin ?

If Riewoldt doesn’t play, who is the second ruck to back Nank up or, alternatively, if Miller plays second ruck then who is the second tall forward to support the Lynch-pin ?
Dusty is the second tall forward. Cumberland too. We can cover with our smaller fwd firepower IMO. Just need to be smart with our entries.

Reactions: 2 users
Dusty is the second tall forward. Cumberland too. We can cover with our smaller fwd firepower IMO. Just need to be smart with our entries.
Heh heh heh… you old renegade.

At the end of the day, whatever side we throw out there we should be able to beat this Carlton line up. If we don’t, top 4 looks hard to achieve.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ll have one last crack.

Young and Broad seems overkill and creates unbalance I think, so if Broad is good to go, Young misses out. If both played, I think one of them would be a bit of a shag on a rock.

I’m playing Clarke because if we don’t, we look a bit slow up front.

I’ve got Miller in because despite the excitement of a few Peter North’s on this site, Sampson Ryan is still a ways off.

If Short gets a green light I’m only making him sub. Calf’s are very dodgy.

I’m throwing Steely Green in as a shock debutante. I have to. He’s my boy this year. Despite not a lot of possessions v Melbourne he didn’t look out of place. Think he balances the side out. Tough, won’t be overawed, nice skills and speed.

You could swap Short, Green, Ralphsmith around within the 23, but I’m perhaps trying to generate a bit more nip than others.

Doesn’t matter anyway. This won’t be the side we pick. Whatever we do pick, we should be able to get the job done against this Carlton team regardless. If we don’t, then top 4 looks a stretch.

Broad Grimes Baker
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Kaps Hopper Pickett
Clarke Riewoldt Bolton
Martin Lynch MJR

Nank Tarranto Prestia

Chimp, Miller, Cumberland, Green
Short (sub).

Emergency: Ralphsmith, Young, Mansell, Neil Balme

Again, you can swap Short, Green, Ralph around in the 23 if you want.

B: Grimes Miller Broad
HB: Rioli Balta Vlastuin
C: Macintosh Hopper Pickett
HF: Martin Riewoldt Bolton
FF: MRJ Lynch Cumberland
Foll: Nankervis Tarranto Prestia
Int: Short Ryan Cotchin Baker
Sub: Graham

Reactions: 1 user

Young and Broad seems overkill and creates unbalance I think, so if Broad is good to go, Young misses out. If both played, I think one of them would be a bit of a shag on a rock.

I’ve got Miller in because despite the excitement of a few Peter North’s on this site, Sampson Ryan is still a ways off.

I’m throwing Steely Green in as a shock debutante. I have to. He’s my boy this year. Despite not a lot of possessions v Melbourne he didn’t look out of place. Think he balances the side out. Tough, won’t be overawed, nice skills and speed.

You could swap Short, Green, Ralphsmith around within the 23, but I’m perhaps trying to generate a bit more nip than others.

Doesn’t matter anyway. This won’t be the side we pick. Whatever we do pick, we should be able to get the job done against this Carlton team regardless. If we don’t, then top 4 looks a stretch.

Broad Grimes Baker
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Kaps Hopper Pickett
Clarke Riewoldt Bolton
Martin Lynch MJR

Nank Tarranto Prestia

Short (sub).

Steely Green to debut? You been in Dimma's medicine cupboard?

Steely Green to debut? You been in Dimma's medicine cupboard?
Of course he won’t. I said that. This is the team I’d go with.

We gotta get some more youth, leg speed and ability to get up and back into this team by years end.

Broad Grimes Baker
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Kaps Hopper Pickett
Clarke Riewoldt Bolton
Martin Lynch MJR

Nank Tarranto Prestia

Short (sub).

Don’t see how Riewoldt contributes unless he plays at the side of Lynch on the full forward line.
He is now too slow to play in the wider spaces of half forward.
Too much running around the 50 trying to get a kick is not his go and hasn’t been for a long time. Exhausted quickly.
Like the rest of it, but would include Young. Watched him extensively last year and thought and said, we should take him with our first draft pick (and Steely with our second). Caesar has reported nothing that has persuaded me otherwise.
Tarrant if fit would have been chosen but again if we are going to compete with the best he is not the answer.
Broad has been a great servant and I can’t argue with those who say he deserves the nod.
This however would take the chance away from the younger man.
He is going to be a ripper!

Broad has been a great servant and I can’t argue with those who say he deserves the nod.
This however would take the chance away from the younger man.
He is going to be a ripper!
I agree that Young could be a beauty.

Broad isnt the problem and is playing his best footy.

The biggest concerns in the defence right now for mine are whether Noah Balta can recapture his best form and whether or not Dylan Grimes can get back to the level required or whether he and his body (those bloody Hammies) have just about had enough.

The fact these 2 incumbent defenders are still under question marks heading into round 1 makes the presence of Broad and Vlastuin even more important.

Reactions: 3 users
Whilst not going as far as saying he’d play, Tom Lynch had pretty complimentary things to say about Young in today’s presser.

PS: Lynch really should be captain.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users