Round 9: Team changes against the poos & wees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 9: Team changes against the poos & wees

Pickets kicking has improved - I think mental but some of his passing and goal kicking this year has just been exquisite. Brutality there too. Wouldn’t drop him.

On form it’s castagna / mansell for Prestia / vlaustin. For team balance though we do want that second pressure forward / marking option?

Would seem this would force Bolton to play forward more and that may rob Peter…. But castagna for Bolton is a fair upgrade. Edwards / Cotchin / lambert / graham all seem too slow to rotate into that role.

Stack also needs a full game but only obvious swap for me their is baker and baker has too many credits in the bank.

Pickets kicking has improved - I think mental but some of his passing and goal kicking this year has just been exquisite. Brutality there too. Wouldn’t drop him.

On form it’s castagna / mansell for Prestia / vlaustin. For team balance though we do want that second pressure forward / marking option?

Would seem this would force Bolton to play forward more and that may rob Peter…. But castagna for Bolton is a fair upgrade. Edwards / Cotchin / lambert / graham all seem too slow to rotate into that role.

Stack also needs a full game but only obvious swap for me their is baker and baker has too many credits in the bank.
We might rest Prestia for another week (better for the long term) and just swap Mansell for Vloss. Just give Jacky G more time in the middle.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes on the forward pressure
If we are to have any chance of success this year we need more pace/forward pressure in the front half..
Massive priority IMO

Great win but it does leave unanswered questions. Our approach of often scrub kicking it in to our forward 50, only worked because Collingwood's defensive structure fell apart under the weight of TL's superb effort.
A better marking effort by the Pies would have destroyed this pre stand rule approach to football that we have continued to take.

Dimma keeps talking about a Richmond type of game.
As I've suggested before his obsession with getting it right in the pre game rule change era is now clouding his judgement.
The game has changed.

Our present approach allowed us to get over Collingwood, but it wont get us past a Melb midfield defence and may not get us past Brisbane.
Forget the Richmond type of game and select a team with the disposal skills which might.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Great win but it does leave unanswered questions. Our approach of often scrub kicking it in to our forward 50, only worked because Collingwood's defensive structure fell apart under the weight of TL's superb effort.
A better marking effort by the Pies would have destroyed this pre stand rule approach to football that we have continued to take.

Dimma keeps talking about a Richmond type of game.
As I've suggested before his obsession with getting it right in the pre game rule change era is now clouding his judgement.
The game has changed.

Our present approach allowed us to get over Collingwood, but it wont get us past a Melb midfield defence and may not get us past Brisbane.
Forget the Richmond type of game and select a team with the disposal skills which might.
I don't agree for a number of reasons. We are a side in transition. We have to play to our strengths and win games, one week at a time. I'm not sure we can dramatically redesign our MO on the run, and even if we could would it work or make any difference?

I'm not convinced our game style is done. It need's re-jigging sure, always does, but become Geelong 2020? Nuh. We need to improve and get a few more good young players to go again, and we have started that process and will continue it. The rule change thing is a bit of a boogieman IMO. Besides, the stand rule will go I reckon.. If we become good at working around it, it will definately go. 666 will stay but that can benefit us as much as anyone.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't agree for a number of reasons. We are a side in transition. We have to play to our strengths and win games, one week at a time. I'm not sure we can dramatically redesign our MO on the run, and even if we could would it work or make any difference?

I'm not convinced our game style is done. It need's re-jigging sure, always does, but become Geelong 2020? Nuh. We need to improve and get a few more good young players to go again, and we have started that process and will continue it. The rule change thing is a bit of a boogieman IMO. Besides, the stand rule will go I reckon.. If we become good at working around it, it will definately go. 666 will stay but that can benefit us as much as anyone.
Agree with all of that.

Reactions: 1 user
We got 3 or 4 blokes who's skills not up to scratch that will cost us no doubt have to be eventually replaced.

You can hardly call a new response to the stand rule introduced after our win in 2020, and probably because of it, ‘change on the run’.

We need to give up hoping that the rule will change any time soon and respond now, imo by leaving out players with poor disposal skills.

I can’t think of a match committee which has been more resistant to change.

That attitude coupled with injury, cost us heavily last year, although the draft was nice.

This year doing well on the injury side but getting the ball forward without focus on what happens next is (I think), no longer the way to go.
Teams with good disposal and strong defence marking, have a huge advantage if we continue.

We need to build our focus on disposal, (while maintaining our hardness, speed and aggression), all needed towards beating the best.

Perhaps controversial. Vlastuin in for Mansell. Stack in for George. Prestia in for Graham.

Perhaps controversial. Vlastuin in for Mansell. Stack in for George. Prestia in for Graham.

No chance Graham will be dropped, just had off his best performance for the season.

I'd be in favour of the other changes, but doubt Castanga will be dropped.

Reactions: 6 users

That attitude coupled with injury, cost us heavily last year, although the draft was nice.
Nah thats horseshit IMO. Its about injuries, getting a bit older, not having early picks for 10 years, rule changes in combo. The old hoary 'lost at the selection table' chestnut doesn't wash. What were we supposed to do? We have got the players we've got, any structural changes to the list take time, its a bit of a turning around an aircraft-carrier situation.

You can't think of an MC more resistant to change? Have you even looked at or considered other MCs? Silly statement.

The shift to more of an emphasis on skills has commenced with the big draft play of 21, and that and that shift has been as swift and substantial as we could possible have been.

Reactions: 4 users
Was surprised Pickett wasn't in original side (I am a huge fan). Would be amazed if he isn't in top 5 in B&F atm!
I don't think we need two rucks against Hawks and I also like the idea of managing Lambert.

Vlaustin gives us better cover for Balta to go into the ruck,

Ins: Vlaustin, Prestia, Sonsie (perfect game to blood him)
Outs: Soldo, Mansell (suspended), Lambert (managed), Stack (sub)

Make Ross or Dow the sub - Stack needs a full game.

You can hardly call a new response to the stand rule introduced after our win in 2020, and probably because of it, ‘change on the run’.

We need to give up hoping that the rule will change any time soon and respond now, imo by leaving out players with poor disposal skills.

This year doing well on the injury side but getting the ball forward without focus on what happens next is (I think), no longer the way to go.
Teams with good disposal and strong defence marking, have a huge advantage if we continue.

We need to build our focus on disposal, (while maintaining our hardness, speed and aggression), all needed towards beating the best.

Have you seen the last 2 games? We are moving the ball much better and we see that with the numbers of marks inside 50 we have taken and the higher scores.

Short moving to the midfield has been a masterstroke, a change resistant MC would not have made that move.

There is nothing wrong with our defensive game, but we did need to change our offensive game somewhat and thats to make our ball movement cleaner which we have been. Less of the scrubbed kicks forward and more direct kicking to our forwards.

We have wanted to do this all season and create more seperation in our F50, hence why w wanted to play 3 talls. It doesn't work with the 2 rucks, so the balance has moved to having Dusty as that "3rd tall". Getting Short and Bolton (and MRJ too) putting that ball inside 50 has been great for our scoring opportunities.

Reactions: 6 users